compact disc.. do you still buy them (no seriously..)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
nathannn

compact disc.. do you still buy them (no seriously..)

Post by nathannn » Mon May 30, 2011 10:04 pm

and if you buy them why? what is compelling you to waste all that time, driving from store to store looking for a cd that probably has only a few good tracks. why wont you let one of the crappiest inventions of last century go?
The Push / Novation Launch Pad / Novation Launch Pad Pro / Novation Launch Key
/ Launch Control XL / Machine MkII / Machine Studio / BeatStep / Livid OhmRGB / Livid Code V2 / Apc 40 MKII

no computers or synths

20 Copies of Ableton Live Lite.

nathannn

Re: compact disc.. do you still buy them (no seriously..)

Post by nathannn » Mon May 30, 2011 10:05 pm

and dvd. are you still buying dvds and blue ray?
why?
can you stop?
/ Launch Control XL / Machine MkII / Machine Studio / BeatStep / Livid OhmRGB / Livid Code V2 / Apc 40 MKII

no computers or synths

oddstep

Post by oddstep » Mon May 30, 2011 10:17 pm

44.1 khz audio in a lossless format. convenient archive. smaller than vinyl and already digitised so its easier to convert into mp3 for uploading onto my phone. wavs are where its at. Flac is good but not everyone is providing dls in this format. Also cds are easy for small time labels to produce - less need for big servers, cheaper to produce than vinyl. youtube/spotify etc are great but the music is still wrecked through compression plus it relies on a decent internet connection - which isn't always available. cds are so mediocre as a physical medium that I don't feel any real attachment to them tho.

Same with dvds.

nathannn

Post by nathannn » Mon May 30, 2011 10:20 pm

so you basically buy them because it is still a necessity for you. but nothing more?
if 16 or 24 bit files where available for download would you stop buying cd?

ahh internet connection.. i missed that point.

no computers or synths

Bizon

Post by Bizon » Mon May 30, 2011 10:48 pm

I listen to mixed compilations.

If there are pauses between the tracks, it takes away from the experience. I know you can do this in an ipod, but why not just toss in a cd. It’s easier.

shuutobi

Post by shuutobi » Mon May 30, 2011 10:49 pm

I do, and I will continue to until some company offers a service for music like steam does for games. (They need to offer the music in some sort of lossless format)

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Mon May 30, 2011 10:51 pm

Never liked CDs- ugly, useless ,easy to damage, only worse thing ever were DATs though they sounded better, hope CDs will disappear soon. Packed and moved my entire collection to celler about year ago since I never played them in past 5 or more years. It is all HDDs, same with the movies, my DVD player is not even connected, use LaCie Media HDD instead. In my car CDs are almost never played, except when someone else has something interesting, myself use SD cards,USB sticks or iPhone. Plan to replace the CD drive in my MBP with SSD.

Last Musik Messe talked to various companies involved in CD production, manufacturing, distribution and they all complain about shrinking CD sells, specially last 3-4 years,all work on other options.
Though my music is sold via various stores,but I always recommend junodownload since they offer the choice of quality (unlike itunes and Amazon) accordingly priced, and have better preview system.

Moody

Post by Moody » Mon May 30, 2011 11:44 pm

Not really, I am interested in quality/lossless digital format and vinyl.
Ableton’s engineers are hard
at work developing code that will allow our software to predict the future, but we don’t
anticipate having this available until at least the next major release.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Mon May 30, 2011 11:51 pm

Rhapsody - $8/month to browse a huge catalog by iPhone or computer. it's great just to check out bands I wouldn't normally give the time to. anyone saying that good music isn't being released today is just ignorant.

if I really like an album, I buy it. with all the places I store songs (work computer, home computer, phone) my different digital collections are getting scattered. same with movies.

between Rhapsody and NetFlix on the Wii my entertainment has mostly moved to the cloud for less than $20/month. shout out to youtube as well. mostly crap quality but amazing quantity.

nathannnnnn, you're a weird one. "crappiest invention of the last century??" did you eat paint chips as a child?
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

Russell Krauch

Post by Russell Krauch » Tue May 31, 2011 12:22 am

I used to buy 3 or 4 cd's a month, Now I buy maybe 4 a year. Part of this is because there's not much I'm interested in these days. Another reason is there's almost no place left to buy them. Where I live there's exactly one independent store left in the whole county. A few weeks ago I was in Germany on vacation and thought it would be nice to pick up some of the remastered Kraftwerk stuff in the original German editions. In the whole time I was there I found only one store that still sold cd's. In another couple of years there's not going to be anywhere left to buy them except maybe online.

Piplodocus

Post by Piplodocus » Tue May 31, 2011 12:34 am

I can buy an album from iTunes etc for £7-£8? Half the time I can buy it from amazon/play on CD for either less, or only slightly more. If I can wait a few days it's free postage. Rip it to the computer then I have both, I've always got the uncompressed CD in case I want it in future (even though I rip quite high quality), I can grab the CD and listen to it in the car without putting it on my iPod, and I can look at the booklet, or just listen without the distraction of a computer on if I wanna listen to a few albums.

Usually I don't see the point in not buying the CD unless there's some download bonus track/video/digital booklet. :D

Piplodocus

Post by Piplodocus » Tue May 31, 2011 12:38 am

nathannn wrote:a cd that probably has only a few good tracks.
P.S. Usually I try to avoid buying shit records! ;-)

eddiex

Post by eddiex » Tue May 31, 2011 12:53 am

i like going to the cd store every now and again......the sucky part about our time is that it is so easy to find anything you are looking for....and that was half the fun of going cd shopping....to try to find hard to find music....now hardly anything is hard to find.....i wish i had the room and the money for vinyl...that would surely satisfy my treasure hunting needs..
but yeah,sadly, now i mostly collect GIGABYTES
cloud>https://soundcloud.com/eddiexdarko
i love you,please don't die.

nathannn

Post by nathannn » Tue May 31, 2011 1:23 am

to me the cd is dead and very soon it will not be sold in any stores. it has been a pain in the ass format for years.
i have not bought a cd since 2006. before that it was 2004.
i also feel its too late for record companys to try to come up with a new format. its done. they waited way to long.
if they would have released music on ssd with the option of surround (and and had a marketing campaign for surround) i think we would have a format that is selling in stores. but they didnt and now its too late.

digital and vinyl are the only real options anymore. vinyl for collectors and music lovers and digital for everyone else.

it all tells me that my predictions years ago for the death of cd and the resurrection of vinyl where correct.
you can walk into any store that sells electronics now days and buy a turntable. and the turntable section is growing while the cd player and cd section is either non existent or being phased out.

who is really impressed by some ones cd collection anymore? almost no one. you would get the same reaction trying to show off your cds as you would trying to show off cassettes. it would be laughable.
but with vinyl everyone wants to look to see whats there. and with digital it really does become just about the music.

no computers or synths

nathannn

Post by nathannn » Tue May 31, 2011 1:27 am

so to sum it up
today 5/30/2011 the cd has died.
its remnants can still be found like remnants from a mass explosion but its way too toxic to touch.
and you don't even want to morn the loss because it was like an evil dictator.
this is a celebration! :)

no computers or synths