Lady Gaga Judas uses synth-riff loop from Vengeance

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
mholloway

Lady Gaga Judas uses synth-riff loop from Vengeance

Post by mholloway » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:15 pm

fascinating discovery over at Gearslutz. http://www.gearslutz.com/board/electron ... ost6704732

The -main- synth riff from Judas is just a loop from one of the 3 vengeance collections. Links available over there.

Later in the thread is this amazing nugget of truthiness:

[I randomly stumbled upon an interview with Fernando Garibay (one of the main producers of her album) on Hulu and this was one of the things he said....]

"Finding the right sounds, we make sure not to use pre processed sounds, like the sounds you get off whatever sample cd's or software synthesizers or stock sounds we found, because we wanted to make sure the album sounded differently, sonically, and everything about it, just the way we put it together."

HAHAHA. Fucker.

These are the guys making MILLIONS on electronic music. Must make them lazy, eh?

I have no problem with the use of preset patches on synths, or use of sampler sounds, or even well-integrated drumloops. But the use of loops that simply contain the musical passages in your songs? Synth riffs? Basslines? Definitely gotta draw the line there. Yuck. Who wrote this song? Not lady gaga. Her producers 'arranged' this song thanks to a catchy riff written by Vengeance guys years ago. Must be weird for them to hear their 'judas' riff all over the radios..

-M
my industrial music made with Ableton Live (as DEAD WHEN I FOUND HER): https://deadwhenifoundher.bandcamp.com/
my dark jazz / noir music made with Ableton Live: https://michaelarthurholloway.bandcamp. ... guilt-noir

beats me

Re: Lady Gaga Judas uses synth-riff loop from Vengeance

Post by beats me » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:31 pm

Along the same line Usher used a Garageband Apple loop as one of the main riffs for a hit song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj3lMXHrPlo

At least Vengeance loops you have to pay for. Garageband comes free on every Mac. :x

aisling

Post by aisling » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:15 pm

when I bought my first rompler (a roland jv 1080) in the mid 90's, I was surprised that the drum loop for at least 3 massive radio rotation hip hop songs was a stock preset.... Over the last 15 years I have seen this happen more than once. I no longer care nor invest any emotional energy into it. If somebody can tale a stock preset and make a hit.....hats off.
http://soundcloud.com/aislingbeing

Live, Reason, Moog sub phatty, Moog sub 37, Ozone 6, guitars, Pedals, proper ergonomic sitting posture, french pressed coffee with a pinch of cardamon.

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:54 pm

aisling wrote:when I bought my first rompler (a roland jv 1080) in the mid 90's, I was surprised that the drum loop for at least 3 massive radio rotation hip hop songs was a stock preset.... Over the last 15 years I have seen this happen more than once. I no longer care nor invest any emotional energy into it. If somebody can tale a stock preset and make a hit.....hats off.

I have a Roland XP-30 and it has a distinct bass drum and snare sample in it’s Hip Hop drum kit that I still hear constantly in songs on the radio. I remember using those samples in one of my songs and then never again because I thought it was too obvious and uncreative to be using over and over.

I think most of us here are at the level where we shouldn’t be overly concerned about using loops or samples in our own tracks, but when you’re at the level of producing radio hits you should be ashamed of yourself for using blatant riff loops without the slightest variation. A lot of major studios or producers have at least one person in their entourage that they go to, to create the sound they have in their head and that person can do it pretty damn quickly. It would take that same person almost zero effort to reproduce a riff loop but tweak it just enough to make it original.

aisling

Post by aisling » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:59 pm

beats me wrote:
aisling wrote:when I bought my first rompler (a roland jv 1080) in the mid 90's, I was surprised that the drum loop for at least 3 massive radio rotation hip hop songs was a stock preset.... Over the last 15 years I have seen this happen more than once. I no longer care nor invest any emotional energy into it. If somebody can tale a stock preset and make a hit.....hats off.

I have a Roland XP-30 and it has a distinct bass drum and snare sample in it’s Hip Hop drum kit that I still hear constantly in songs on the radio. I remember using those samples in one of my songs and then never again because I thought it was too obvious and uncreative to be using over and over.

I think most of us here are at the level where we shouldn’t be overly concerned about using loops or samples in our own tracks, but when you’re at the level of producing radio hits you should be ashamed of yourself for using blatant riff loops without the slightest variation. A lot of major studios or producers have at least one person in their entourage that they go to, to create the sound they have in their head and that person can do it pretty damn quickly. It would take that same person almost zero effort to reproduce a riff loop but tweak it just enough to make it original.
I see your point, and I agree with you. A little modulation goes along way in 'originalizing' something.
http://soundcloud.com/aislingbeing

Live, Reason, Moog sub phatty, Moog sub 37, Ozone 6, guitars, Pedals, proper ergonomic sitting posture, french pressed coffee with a pinch of cardamon.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:11 pm

I like how some people start blasting Gaga personally on this issue.

But, if she called tomorrow, they'd be falling all over themselves to lick her toilet bowl clean - let alone contribute anything musically or patch-wise.

:lol:
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

bartend7

Post by bartend7 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:52 am

this reminds me of a Moby article i read on his views of the state of music,

http://www.spinner.com/2011/05/27/moby-kesha-britney

perplex

Post by perplex » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:54 am

the only reason why people would be mad about this, is because they feel like they should be in the position to do it to.

i mean think about it srsly. this guys got it good!

doghouse

Post by doghouse » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:55 am

Why do you suppose people buy loop CDs anyway? Get real folks...

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:45 pm

doghouse wrote:Why do you suppose people buy loop CDs anyway? Get real folks...

Because they don't yet have the skills, software, and gear of a big name producer. They're a starting point, not an ending point.

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:51 pm

I think this summer I’ll hit the miniature golf course 3 or 4 times a week. Then I’ll hit the pro golf circuit but I won’t actually hit any balls. Instead in exchange for a soda I’ll have my caddy grab the ball off the tee, run across the green and drop it in the hole. And I better not get any ridicule or less prize money for technically having a perfect game. I paid my dues, jealous haters.

dhilsabeck

Post by dhilsabeck » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:45 pm

I think it's great. Same with Usher. More power to them for their resourcefulness. Plus this is good news for musicians who can come up with a thousand original ideas but can't arrange/perform/market a song for shit. If gaga's using loops then guess who else is going to: everyone.

hacktheplanet

Post by hacktheplanet » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:04 pm

Vengeance Electro Essentials is all over everything by Deadmau5.

cmcpress

Post by cmcpress » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:32 am

yyeeeeeaaah.

But i tell you what's more outrageous. There's this group called the sugarhill gang. All they did was take a Chic look and talk over the top! How mad is that? What about that group NWA, takes a break by the band the Winstons and don't even pay to use it???

Outrageous. No talent hacks.

pepezabala

Post by pepezabala » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:09 am

It's all yes and no. I mean already back in the early 60s, most of what people like Elvis, the Beatles and the Stones did was just a one-to-one rip-off from their contemporary R&B artists. But at least they learned to play that stuff really well first.