WTF is 5th note?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
nathannn

Re: WTF is 5th note?

Post by nathannn » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:15 am

what i want to know is wtf is a power chord?
i know most people consider 5hts to be power chords but when i play 3rds 7ths and 2nds i am accused of playing power chords.
wtf is wrong with power chords anyways?
they sound good and most of the time you dont need more that 3 notes playing.
The Push / Novation Launch Pad / Novation Launch Pad Pro / Novation Launch Key
/ Launch Control XL / Machine MkII / Machine Studio / BeatStep / Livid OhmRGB / Livid Code V2 / Apc 40 MKII

no computers or synths

20 Copies of Ableton Live Lite.

nathannn

Post by nathannn » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:33 am

scutheotaku wrote:
nathannn wrote:what i want to know is wtf is a power chord?
i know most people consider 5hts to be power chords but when i play 3rds 7ths and 2nds i am accused of playing power chords.
wtf is wrong with power chords anyways?
they sound good and most of the time you dont need more that 3 notes playing.
Those people are wrong. A power chord consists only of the root note (usually twice spanning two octaves, e.g. C3 and C4) and its perfect fifth (i.e. 7 semitones up from the root, or G for C and F# for B).

Technically a power chord, according to classical terminology, isn't really a chord at all, but instead a dyad - this is because a chord is any set of three or more notes (not including octaves), whereas a dyad is a set of two notes. This, along with it's modal neutrality, is why it is often frowned upon by a lot of art music composers and enthusiasts, though I think this is silly since it's only an interval and nothing to be scared of :D
well if this is true then there are no power chords in music that i play guitar in. :?
/ Launch Control XL / Machine MkII / Machine Studio / BeatStep / Livid OhmRGB / Livid Code V2 / Apc 40 MKII

no computers or synths

nathannn

Post by nathannn » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:48 am

Those people are wrong. A power chord consists only of the root note (usually twice spanning two octaves, e.g. C3 and C4) and its perfect fifth (i.e. 7 semitones up from the root, or G for C and F# for B).

Technically a power chord, according to classical terminology, isn't really a chord at all, but instead a dyad - this is because a chord is any set of three or more notes (not including octaves), whereas a dyad is a set of two notes. This, along with it's modal neutrality, is why it is often frowned upon by a lot of art music composers and enthusiasts, though I think this is silly since it's only an interval and nothing to be scared of :D[/quote]

well if this is true then there are no power chords in music that i play guitar in. :?[/quote]

Very possible, especially if you play indie, funk, folk, jazz, or country. But a power chord usually is the first chord that a guitarist learns.

Here's a G power chord:

E|---
B|---
G|---
D|-5-
A|-5-
E|-3-

The note played on the low E string is the G in the first octave, the note played on the A string is D (which is the perfect fifth of G), and the note played on the D string is G in the second octave. It is also often played without the octave (in this case, the note on the D string), especially in blues and older rock.[/quote]
based on the above tab, i should have said very very few power chords. but there is never a whole song with just power chords.

no computers or synths

oddstep

Post by oddstep » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:17 am

Powerchords are great and people who disagree are simply dead inside. Probably lizard aliens.

Piplodocus

Post by Piplodocus » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:04 pm

Since it has no 3rd (either major or minor) it means you can play them over both. Easy chords! If you're as lazy as me you can put your guitar in drop d and play them with 1 finger on the bottom strings! :P

LeifonMars

Post by LeifonMars » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:53 pm

nathannn wrote:Those people are wrong. A power chord consists only of the root note (usually twice spanning two octaves, e.g. C3 and C4) and its perfect fifth (i.e. 7 semitones up from the root, or G for C and F# for B).

Technically a power chord, according to classical terminology, isn't really a chord at all, but instead a dyad - this is because a chord is any set of three or more notes (not including octaves), whereas a dyad is a set of two notes. This, along with it's modal neutrality, is why it is often frowned upon by a lot of art music composers and enthusiasts, though I think this is silly since it's only an interval and nothing to be scared of :D
well if this is true then there are no power chords in music that i play guitar in. :?[/quote]

Very possible, especially if you play indie, funk, folk, jazz, or country. But a power chord usually is the first chord that a guitarist learns.

Here's a G power chord:

E|---
B|---
G|---
D|-5-
A|-5-
E|-3-

The note played on the low E string is the G in the first octave, the note played on the A string is D (which is the perfect fifth of G), and the note played on the D string is G in the second octave. It is also often played without the octave (in this case, the note on the D string), especially in blues and older rock.[/quote]
based on the above tab, i should have said very very few power chords. but there is never a whole song with just power chords.[/quote]

Heh, I remember learning from some guitar player magazine back in the 1990, that power (I mean really powerfully power) chord includes instead of octave a decim. So in example case, it would be played:

E X
B X
G X
D -7-
A -5-
E -3-
MBP OSX 10.6.8, Live 8.4, MFII, Evolver, Monomachine, Octatrack, APC40, Launchpad

Piplodocus

Post by Piplodocus » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:02 pm

Good old Wikipedia, font of all knowledge... :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_chord

evon

Post by evon » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:11 pm

Who cares the fuck about a 5th note anyway :!: :!: Just make some music :mrgreen:
fe real!

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:21 pm

evon wrote:Who cares the fuck about a 5th note anyway :!: :!: Just make some music :mrgreen:
what do you mean? this IS about making music..
this is knowledge that any 5 year old playing any instrument knows
and ofcourse knowledge is power..

perplex

Post by perplex » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:42 pm

3dot... wrote:
evon wrote:Who cares the fuck about a 5th note anyway :!: :!: Just make some music :mrgreen:
One would not compare those inquiring to 5 year olds without having the sole intent to offend. That is not becoming of an ableton forum member.

btw i screwed ur mother this past fortnight

evon

Post by evon » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:43 pm

3dot... wrote:
I couldn't help but notice that you left off one of your dots at the end there...shouldn't it be three dots at the end there?
fe real!

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:57 pm

. there you go...

mersault

Post by mersault » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:48 pm

Its good to see some actual "music" being talked on here. Who would have figured? knowing something about music is useful in making music...

Why is it always with such apathy that such issues are brought up - or such questions are asked? like there's a disdain for the concept of knowing or studying up on music?

If you really want to be a musical pioneer, you can go the route of learning the rules before you try to bend and break them... though its not always necessary.

disclaimer- I'm way more involved with DJ based music than anything else - music theory isn't only for prog rockers!!!

Piplodocus

Post by Piplodocus » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:12 am

I look at music theory like this:

You'll never be a great poet just by learning the language. It's the creativity and emotion that creates the poetic art form. Knowledge is never a substitute for real creativity if you want to make something new, exciting and beautiful.

However, if you know the language well you can create your poetry easier, and usually express yourself much better than if you only have the creativity alone. This may then enable you to create far greater works of emotion than fumbling for the closest thing you can find. (Especially if working with other musicians)

(From a classically trained trombonist who mostly played jazz for a few decades, but who still never learnt what the notes on his guitar were called in the last 15 years... :oops: )

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:15 am

Piplodocus wrote:(From a classically trained trombonist who mostly played jazz for a few decades, but who still never learnt what the notes on his guitar were called in the last 15 years... :oops: )
something tells me that you can play the shit out of it anyway :wink:
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.