export midi file with multiple midi channels?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
joekool

export midi file with multiple midi channels?

Post by joekool » Fri May 21, 2010 12:57 pm

8O

here's the deal. my akai s2000 plays back general midi files. ableton can write general midi files. i want to be able to compose in ableton, say, an entire song as a midi file, slap it on a floppy, and load it up in my s2000 so i can play the samples back the way they're supposed to be, each in their own individual program. honestly i have no idea how to do this. do i need to write a midi file that has like.. seperate midi channels for each individual instrument? is that possible? this is the first time i've ever tried to integrate hardware and software through midi like this so i'm completely stumped. it all gives me a headache! if anyone on here can help me, please let me know! it's driving me nuts!!!!!!!!!

broc

Re: export midi file with multiple midi channels?

Post by broc » Mon May 24, 2010 8:38 am

Unfortunately, export midi file with multiple midi channels is not possible in ableton live.
You need to export separate files for individual instruments.

SIEGE13

Post by SIEGE13 » Wed May 26, 2010 9:41 am

that really sucks.

i just spent 2 hours loading samples and tweaking midi files to put a track onto my mpc 1k for live work, and now i realize i can't export a multitrack midi file? why wouldn't ableton make this possible, it is ridiculous! the mpc will only load a .mid file as a sequence, not as a track, so i have just wasted 2 hours. i thought a piece of software as expensive as Suite 8 would have this standard. but it's not so.

Snyder

Post by Snyder » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:00 pm

why wouldn't ableton make this possible, it is ridiculous! [...] i thought a piece of software as expensive as Suite 8 would have this standard.
dito

dentaku

Post by dentaku » Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:33 pm

I've looked for free software than can convert multiple format 0 MIDI files into one multitrack format 1 MIDI file but I haven't been successful yet.

twistedblues

Post by twistedblues » Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:59 pm

Is this possible yet?

dormin

Post by dormin » Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:15 pm

I know this is old, but, afaik this still isn't supported and the best solution for a song with many tracks seems to be to record it into the external sequencer over a MIDI interface. Or, you know, just do it one by one, consolidating the multiple sequences into a single sequence. I think it's pretty easy to do on the MPC1000. At least you can load the sequences en masse if you put them into a folder.