Record finished track instead of exporting?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
dilshan89

Record finished track instead of exporting?

Post by dilshan89 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:54 pm

Hey guys,

Im tired of exporting my finished track and finding that the volumes and balance is nothing like what the track sounds like in Ableton. Is there any way to just record the finished track off Ableton as it plays? Without losing quality though. I think Ive seen this done before, I just cant remember the name of the program used to do it. Any ideas? Would appreciate any help x

Moody

Re: Record finished track instead of exporting?

Post by Moody » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:16 pm

Add audido track > set input to resample
Ableton’s engineers are hard
at work developing code that will allow our software to predict the future, but we don’t
anticipate having this available until at least the next major release.

dilshan89

Post by dilshan89 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:54 pm

Hey thanks for your reply,

Will the quality of this resampled track be worse than if I exported from arrangement view? Are there any disadvantages to this method?

Moody

Post by Moody » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:17 pm

There should be no degredation and the only disadvantage would possibly be the additional cpu load.
Ableton’s engineers are hard
at work developing code that will allow our software to predict the future, but we don’t
anticipate having this available until at least the next major release.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:23 pm

take some time to learn how to export. if you can't do that then there's no telling what you might screw up using other methods.

take a short snippet of your tune and practice, twiddle around until you can get a good loud render. maybe even *gasp* read the manual and the white paper. ;)
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

dilshan89

Post by dilshan89 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:51 pm

Thanks for the replies guys. I would like to try this resampling method. However when I resample it, wont the audio just be quiet? Thats what happens when I usually resample, until I add something like Multiband Dynamics.

Cezband

Post by Cezband » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:03 am

The volume of resampling is quieter than the stuff you resample? I don't even know how you'd do that unless you've got your resample track turned down already on the mixer. Between that and the issues with standard export that you're talking about, I'm wondering exactly what sort of processing you've got going on your master channel?
Live 7.0.18 | Axiom 61 | Launchpad | Homous | Nanokontrol | Saffire 6 | Ibanez Jazzmaster Bass | Biscuits
Soundcloud (solo stuff) | One Gear Go (my band)

dilshan89

Post by dilshan89 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:40 pm

I actually don't have any audio effects going on in the master channel. Should I?

auditory canvas

Post by auditory canvas » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:43 pm

To get the resample the correct level, go through all your tracks and adjust the source clip or synth to be at the right level with the track fader at 0db. Your Master fader should also remain at 0db, so the source material (clips and synths) on all tracks should be set to a level that doesn't cause the master fader to clip when set at 0db. You should aim for the master track to be peaking at -6db, which then gives you room for mastering the final render.

The above should also provide an export render that's closer to what you expect too.

justchris86

Post by justchris86 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:59 am

Get and old school tape or digital tape system. Mmmmmmm I have an old school RobertS 770 that doesn't run but I can run the audio through it and it sounds amazing.

I also found an old tascam da 88 that sounds great to! ( also came with a box of tapes that had some CRAZY recordings on it ha ha ha)
"Do not quote or read this text"

https://soundcloud.com/unnecessary-roughness-yyc

xzusa8ky

Post by xzusa8ky » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:03 pm

I think this topic is odd? I never had any problems exporting my finished songs in Live? I guess that people are doing something wrong here......... 8O
Bitwig/1.0.5 - Ableton/Live 8 - Apple/MacPro-2.8Ghz-8Core-RAID - Samsung/SM-P2770H 27" - Yamaha/HS80M/HS10W - Behringer/BCR/BCF - Allen & Heath/Xone:3D - Sennheiser/HD25-13 - Native Instruments/Komplete9/Traktor Pro

perplex

Post by perplex » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:21 pm

xzusa8ky wrote:I think this topic is odd? I never had any problems exporting my finished songs in Live? I guess that people are doing something wrong here......... 8O
sometimes when I export, my track volume automations go out the window

M-bition

Post by M-bition » Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:13 pm

When I record my masteroutput using resampling in an audiotrack, this audiotrack sometimes goes into the red while my masterchannel doesn't get higher than 0db. Anyone knows if this is a bug ?

Hermanus

Post by Hermanus » Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:37 pm

When I play live, I always have an audio track with Master track + Post mixer.
A single play button on this track avoids stopping the record by mistake.
The only FX rack on master is Vintage Mastering2, thus recorded audio is a straight copy with no surprises with level going to red _assuming all your levels are right without the FX rack.

After having forget to clic for recording on this track, I've midi/key mapped a single button that both plays my set AND launch the audio clip record

But I prefer rendering to audio for smallest projects indeed.

kev herb

Post by kev herb » Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:38 pm

so the op wants to avoid lives exporting/rendering which he believes is changing the sound so if he resamples the master to new audio track within live doesn't he still have to render the audio track via lives export to audio to be able to play it in itunes or whatever so he has not avoided lives rendering engine at all? correct me if i am wrong but would he not be better using Jack or soundflower into another program and hitting record?
Hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia- Fear of long words