Best Sounding DAW

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
evon

Re: Best Sounding DAW

Post by evon » Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:12 pm

AceLuby wrote:
abluesky wrote:I was involved in a double blind test between Logic 9 and Protolols 8, using top of the line conversion in a professional studio built for film and TV scoring.

No plugins were used. Just listened to the same track - interleaved stereo file - through the two different programs going through the same IO.

I was able to identify which file was Protools and which was Logic 10 out of 12 times.

Another who took the same test did so 9 out of 12 times.

Rendering out the same file in both Protools and Logic resulted in null.

Go figure.
I read this as 'I flipped a coin and guessed right 10/12 times, then my friend did and guessed right 9/12 times. We're pros!'

The null test shows they are the same waves coming from the speakers. It's math. If they are the same waves they are the same. Period. Your ears do not defy physics, I'm sorry.
But conversely "physics may defy your ear". Are we sure that when we analyze, that we are capable of discerning all the factors required to give a true result?

Yesterday we thought the world was flat and that the atom was the smallest form of matter.
fe real!

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:27 pm

the ears are connected to an interpreter ...
it's called the brain ..and it's rather subjective ..
it's that interpreter ..which creates these endless threads
and imagines various theories
...some of which turn out to be objective "truths".eventually.but most don't
:?
Last edited by 3dot... on Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lunabass

Post by lunabass » Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:28 pm

the world is flat

:: STAK ::
Music for Visual Media
www.staksounds.com
@staksounds

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:39 pm

^ The final answer:

It's turtles all the way down.

Happy now evon? You're now free to pursue whatever pharmacological solution will best suit your condition.
Unsound Designer

x9

Post by x9 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:48 pm

the difference between daws is much smaller than between mixing digitally inside or analog outside the box.

so, if you need to talk sound you have to go analog. the only thing really "bad" in live are the most of the audio effects - soundwise. they are great when used as creative tools, but not so much as sound enhancers.

abluesky

Post by abluesky » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:51 pm

Cezband wrote:
scutheotaku wrote:
abluesky wrote:I was involved in a double blind test between Logic 9 and Protolols 8
I'm a big fan of proto-lols. You know, that feeling you get right before you start laughing.
This sort of humour gets me chuckling every time :lol:

:lol: :mrgreen:

evon

Post by evon » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:30 pm

stringtapper wrote:^ The final answer:

It's turtles all the way down.

Happy now evon? You're now free to pursue whatever pharmacological solution will best suit your condition.
But there is a much simpler treatment that I have been trying to convince you bOne heads about and it is called MUSIC and all you need to do is to use our EARS!!

You dont need any Pharmacology, no Scientific Analysis and all that complicated shit and you will be cured from looking for posts about which DAW sounds better. Probably was hoping for some sort of magic DAW to take you out of your little scientific world of big words and transform you into a big rock star to satisfy your little sadistic yearnings.
fe real!

evon

Post by evon » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:41 pm

Oh but I just remembered...I didn't give MY opinion on which DAW sounds the best...what do you expect....Ta Da!.....LIVE!!

See Ya you creeps!!!
Last edited by evon on Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fe real!

evon

Post by evon » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:45 pm

Seriously though..you all shouldn't take life so seriously. I am really a nice guy at heart. Just love to go off on these little what-ever-you-may-call-its. I get my kicks that way sometimes, especially when I am not feeling any creative urges.

Hope I didn't offend any of you pussies.

Love you all.
fe real!

Rationalizer

Post by Rationalizer » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:50 pm

evon wrote:Seriously though..you all shouldn't take life so seriously.
Tell that to 3phase.
WIN8.1 x64 | Suite 9.5 x64 | RME FF400 | UAD-2 | Maschine 2 | SparkLE | Mopho | Blodeld | Komplete 9 | Ebony A2 | Adam A7 | Launchpad | Waves Diamond V9 | Many VSTs

Facebook | Youtube | Soundcloud | Beatport

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:53 pm

evon wrote:Seriously though..you all shouldn't take life so seriously. I am really a nice guy at heart. Just love to go off on these little what-ever-you-may-call-its. I get my kicks that way sometimes, especially when I am not feeling any creative urges.

Love you all.
:lol:

you're in Jamaica man, go sit on the beach and enjoy the local produce FFS.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

evon

Post by evon » Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:00 pm

x9 wrote:the difference between daws is much smaller than between mixing digitally inside or analog outside the box.

so, if you need to talk sound you have to go analog. the only thing really "bad" in live are the most of the audio effects - soundwise. they are great when used as creative tools, but not so much as sound enhancers.
x9...welcome to Live..but if you really want to know about DAWs then do some serious research online..google, or search for some earlier DAW posts on these forums, but I doubt if you will get much useful analytic information in any post this late. Th etopic has been discussed constructively over and over.

I just got the article (the one in the opening post) in my mail and thought I would test to see the level of interest in the topic after all these years. And of course the rest is history. Really though, I will soon come up with a way to make some money off this topic. Believe me I wont stop trying till I find one.

Whish I could generate half the interest with the crap I do in music production.
fe real!

evon

Post by evon » Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:02 pm

Tone Deft wrote:
evon wrote:Seriously though..you all shouldn't take life so seriously. I am really a nice guy at heart. Just love to go off on these little what-ever-you-may-call-its. I get my kicks that way sometimes, especially when I am not feeling any creative urges.

Love you all.
:lol:

you're in Jamaica man, go sit on the beach and enjoy the local produce FFS.
Ahh my friend...easier said than done. I am not that lucky ....yet :lol:
fe real!

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:08 pm

evon wrote:
H20nly wrote:if i were sitting on the fence in an announcers booth and had to describe what i've seen here...
H20 Sports Central wrote:...evon, is gaining speed in a streak of blue jersey and high knees making his play down the field... he's almost to the goal!!!

wait! ladies and gentlemen evon has switched to a green jersey and is making his play in the other direction... he's at the 50, the 40 the 30.... wait! what is this we're seeing today?

evon is now wearing a red jersey and holding a bat. he's swinging it at the other players... he misses, he misses again!

8O now he's wearing a blue jersey again. never before has such a drastic change of roster happened while the game is being played in the wild world of sports!

what team is he on and will he stay there? this is the big question on everyone's lips.

DAWs have unlimited tracks nowadays so even you can upgrade your one-track mind and try looking at things more panoramic.
That is why you kiss up so much, you are unwilling to agree with the facts as they present themselves but continue to be steadfast in your ignorance.
wow that one track mind thing is pretty clever. so why are you acting so fucking stupid?

i'm not sure what i'm kissing up to, but if you want me to be blunt with all jokes aside here goes...

you started a thread about a completely subjective topic and have argued it death from both sides slinging insults directly at people and by making sweeping statements about "everybody" along the way. at this point you're acting like an angry dick. for what, because you asked a forum with 42,000 plus members for an opinion and you got several?

you can call me names, you can hate me for taking the piss or trying to make light of the insults you're hurling at people (for your sake not mine), but if you really believe in your heart that i'm ignorant and can't read the writing on the walls then you're not only a schizophrenic poster who can't make up his mind what his stance is in his own thread... you're also a presumptuous ass who has a hard time making an accusation with the truth being one of it's attributes.

... but at least i know where we stand. :arrow:

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:20 pm

I know you're both capable of communicating without the hate. let's just chill.

no worries though, this topic will come up again many more times this summer. save it for then.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz