shoegaze/dream pop sound

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
cmcpress

Re: shoegaze/dream pop sound

Post by cmcpress » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:49 pm

Shoegaze - so called because when the bands used to play they would gaze at the shoes and not engage the audience. These 4-5 musicians - long hair or beatles cuts looking at the floor or at their Jim Dunlop Wah Wah pedals. Magnificent.

Required Listening:

Ride:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wF0FO5ri ... re=related

One of the best shoegaze songs ever - Only Shallow by My Bloody Valentine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiomcuNlVjk

and from the new school. Cashier No.9:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ot_XTJqf ... re=related

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:11 pm

cmcpress wrote:...when the bands used to play they would gaze at the shoes...
So did the audience.

But when it comes to the BEST shoegaze that EVER HAPPENED, , hands down, no contest, it was "Lightbright Highway" in Denton TX around 98. Too bad you have to see them live to understand, and sadly not many will ever see them.

Even if you buy their record, you'll just ruin it for yourself. It's only the live show where they wheel out about 20 guitar amps, TONS of effects, and play a 2 hour set where you are engulfed in sound that makes them undefeated space warriors.

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:39 pm

Damn I wish I could've seen that. Closest that comes to mind is Sonic Youth shows in the 90's (last saw them on Washing Machine tour) but I imagine the band you're talking about did that better since they didn't have to worry about playing a back catalogue or live up to audience expectations. And the setup sounds better:)
ImageImage

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:12 pm

Sonic Youth is probably my all time favorite band. LBH was like Sleep's Dopesmoker album meets Pink Floyds live at Pompeii, favoring long Sonic Youth segways like the middle of the extended version of Diamond Sea. However the guitar player from LBH had duplicates of all of his gear. Everynow and then they would bring all the gear. So just the guitar rig alone would be something like 2 fender twins, 2 kustoms, 2 BIG fender amps, 2 bassmans and a couple of Leslie cabinets, not to mention all the Mutron and Electro Harmonix everything. The way he routes his fx and amps made it sound like he invented something beyond quadraphonic. Seriously you didn't even need to be on drugs to start thinking you saw sounds swirling out of club walls and molesting you.

One of the best shows I ever saw them play was with Nebula, in Ft Worth TX at a place called the Tatoo bar that is owned by one of the guys from Pantera. So imagine all the head bangers not really knowing what to think about this psuedo hippy 30 minute instrumental intro from LBH. But once the rev shit up it gets HEAVY MELLOW and the whole place was rockin untill they blew the power to the club. AMAZING!

astromass

Post by astromass » Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:14 am

Hey
A friend and I recorded a "shoegazey" record 100% in ableton
www.wearedustmotes.com
Enjoy
nyquist theorem and nyquil...

nathannn

Post by nathannn » Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:49 am

astromass wrote:Hey
A friend and I recorded a "shoegazey" record 100% in ableton
http://www.wearedustmotes.com
Enjoy
i dont hear anything.
The Push / Novation Launch Pad / Novation Launch Pad Pro / Novation Launch Key
/ Launch Control XL / Machine MkII / Machine Studio / BeatStep / Livid OhmRGB / Livid Code V2 / Apc 40 MKII

no computers or synths

20 Copies of Ableton Live Lite.

astromass

Post by astromass » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:38 pm

Click the colored "motes" at the top. Thx.
nyquist theorem and nyquil...

chaibuka

Post by chaibuka » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:30 pm

I'm really enjoying My Morning Jackets new album "Circuital". Good all around collection of tunes with just the right touch of spaciness.

reticent

Post by reticent » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:25 am

Just started the NuGaze tutorial by Sonic Academy and it is mighty cool!

Never knew about resampling, using Chord, etc etc
fun stuff

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:47 am

Ah, I forgot to post this link.

http://www.mybloodyvalentine.net/smf/in ... opic=116.0

An engineer/tech from some MBV sessions is in this thread (d_r_e_)
Last edited by regretfullySaid on Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:56 am

Yeah I have seen that thread. However I also saw some pics somewhere, regarding their last tour, where a sound guy is back stage with a list of which pedals to switch on an off during performances. The pedal board was overloaded with pedals to say the least, and those were just the backstage pedals.

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:06 am

Seems like Shields was really anal about gear and performance sound (getting the right representation between studio vs performance)
so I'd imagine it's between being a backup and for something to use later in the show. It wouldn't surprise me if he switched setups between songs. I just saw a YT clip where he apologized to the audience for the sound not being right because the venue wanted to keep the sound not as high.
ImageImage

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:37 am

Actually I thought the performance in San Fran about a year or so ago, was not that good on the "sound" end, at least not for my favorite tunes.....however the last part of the show that was just noise rattling the building was awesome, especially from the street.

ynfynytyng

Post by ynfynytyng » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:45 am

Really digging this thread. Bringing back all kinds of great messed up memories! One group left out of the shoegaze discussion is Slowdive. Not quite as raucous as MBV or Ride, but in the vein nonetheless.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8J2O6SAO ... re=related

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:35 pm

Slowdive was great.

Eventhough MBV is the epitome "go to" of shoegaze, others that are just as noteworthy are

Rollerskate Skinny
Mercury Rev's first album
Medicine
Hanadensha's "Narcotic Guitar" album
the Swirlies
Comet, from Dallas circa 94 or so
Lid (or in the later years MK ULTRA), one of the best bands EVER, seriously 8O .
16 Delux from Austin, however the album did not due the band justice if you ever saw them play "Headrush Baby" live.

and even though they are not considered shoegaze, they did the deal on a few songs fer sure
Fu Manchu - Saturn III
Sleep "dopesmoker"
Electric Wizard
they might not have been shoegaze, but I did a lot of gazing over that shit.

There are a few other bands from years back that I remember seeing, but cant remember the names. I think one of them was from Washington, their album cover had a clear layover on the cover, when you pulled it out it looked like their light show swirling around.