midi - play along in recorded track without new recording

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
ian_halsall

midi - play along in recorded track without new recording

Post by ian_halsall » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:13 am

In cubase you can record a midi track and then play along with it in the same track with the same instrument.

Whe you are happy you can either record in the same track or just make a new track mapped to the same instrument.

In live you have to copy the whole track (I think) and remove the clip and then record which is not so bad.

But if you are for instance using something like kontakt with a multi-gig instrument then copying it is wasteful in terms of ram and also takes some time.

Also if you edit one of the vsts which are really the same instrument the other one doesn't get the edits.

ian_halsall

Re: midi - play along in recorded track without new recording

Post by ian_halsall » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:47 pm

what I meant is that once you record something in a midi track you cannot hear anything else unless you either record into the existing track (which you probably don't want to do because if it's rubbish it's a bit of a pain to get rid of).

Or copy the track with the potentially huge overhead of copying the vst.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:25 am

????

Why not just create 2 MIDI tracks and point their MIDI output to the desired input on the desired instrument? That way you only have MIDI and they can easily transmit and play the same instrument. When you are happy you can merge the notes together with basic editing.

You can also simply have the track armed to record notes and play along. when you are ready to add your new notes, hit RECORD and ensure OVERWRITE is ON and you then add new notes. If the take sux, Undo, then replay.

This is always a commom thing I have seen on forums... "I use to use DAW - A and it did things this way...". If a DAW did everythng that everyone wanted int he way everyone wanted there would only be one. Takes experimentation to get your own feel. Hopefully this answers what you need.

ashtonron

Post by ashtonron » Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:48 am

lacsapl0b0b wrote:what I meant is that once you record something in a midi track you cannot hear anything else unless you either record into the existing track (which you probably don't want to do because if it's rubbish it's a bit of a pain to get rid of).

Or copy the track with the potentially huge overhead of copying the vst.
Just turn overwrite off. and switch it back on when you want to record what you are playing.

You can also use the external instrument and set it to recieve input from kontakt on a separate midi track, i do that quite a lot.. (you have to assign the separate instruments in the multi to different outputs of course )
Ableton Suite 8, Komplete 6, Macbook + IMac, Nuforce Icon HDP, Art tubefire 8, Korg MicroKontrol + wacKMK, Oxygen 8 +++
http://soundcloud.com/ashtonron

ian_halsall

Post by ian_halsall » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:47 pm

Is overwrite the same as overdub?

ashtonron

Post by ashtonron » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:32 pm

Yup, i just used the same terminology from above hehe

Click on this one anyway Image
Ableton Suite 8, Komplete 6, Macbook + IMac, Nuforce Icon HDP, Art tubefire 8, Korg MicroKontrol + wacKMK, Oxygen 8 +++
http://soundcloud.com/ashtonron

ian_halsall

Post by ian_halsall » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:25 pm

fair enough - that's my mistake

thx

ian_halsall

Post by ian_halsall » Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:07 pm

it was a pretty dumb question

rtfm could have been the reply

thanks