ECHO Indigo DJx - reviews?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
mgpg

Re: ECHO Indigo DJx - reviews?

Post by mgpg » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:46 pm

Tarekith wrote:Avoid.
Care to elaborate?

FrankieP

Post by FrankieP » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:10 am

Works great with my MBP. Very low latency. Drivers stable. No cables sticking out. This alone is worth the price.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:09 am

mgpg wrote:
Care to elaborate?
If you want a serious card for audio work, then you want to go with E-mu stuff which is also owned by Creative, but at least geared towards musicians. I honestly don't know if it's still the case with their newer cards, but Creative cards in the past always internally upsampled everything to 48khz, which is a process you don't want to do unless you have to.

mgpg

Post by mgpg » Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:28 am

Tarekith wrote:
mgpg wrote:
Care to elaborate?
If you want a serious card for audio work, then you want to go with E-mu stuff which is also owned by Creative, but at least geared towards musicians. I honestly don't know if it's still the case with their newer cards, but Creative cards in the past always internally upsampled everything to 48khz, which is a process you don't want to do unless you have to.
Oh, you were talking about the Creative card, not the Echo.
How would you rate the Echo?

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:52 am

Awesome, go for it.

mgpg

Post by mgpg » Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:01 am

Tarekith wrote:Awesome, go for it.
Alright, thanks a lot.

mgpg

Post by mgpg » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:45 am

Bummer. Just got a reply from Echo tech support saying they do not support Mac OS X Snow Leopard. :(

Can anyone confirm this?

salatspinatra

Post by salatspinatra » Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:54 pm

If you look a couple replies back: You're okay in 32bit. Most of your software in OSX snow leopard on the latest chipset is still running in 32 bit, and I'd say the transition is slower that it was moving from Rosetta to Universal to Intel, for example. Software will most likely continue to be released in both version. Wouldn't new drivers solve any other compatibility issues? If they're not bothering, then maybe Indigo has another item in the works, which is likely considering the express port didn't really take off and is being discontinued on new Macbooks. If new interfaces went direct to thunderbolt, they would supersede the PCI.

Does anyone find that there's a loss of sound quality in using 1/8" jacks? I realize that you're omitting one cable simply by using an express card instead of another port cable-that's a good thing. Also, can anyone really tell the difference that you're not on an apogee, RME, metric halo, etc? Do you think any listener or yourselves is really consciously compromising some sound quality for the sake of playing a live set, or would you equally trust this interface for 2-channel studio recording?

Macrostructure

Post by Macrostructure » Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:36 pm

I had all of the Indigo's at one point, they work really good and sound fine for live use. As mentioned though, just be sure to disconnect it when moving your laptop or putting it in a bag. The plastic tends to break, not designed to be left in the laptop all the time.
I have the same experience to report and advice to give, but additionally I also mastered my ep on an Echo Indigo I/O and the good quality has been remarked upon by people whose musical opinions I respect (including the label manager obviously!).