Maschine and effects latency

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
JES

Maschine and effects latency

Post by JES » Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:40 pm

Hi,

I'm a little overwhelmed with the Maschine threads on here, so I hope this isn't too repetitive (if it is, a hint about which Maschine thread would help would be appreciated).

For those of you who use Maschine as a VST in Live, how do you handle effects? For instance, I know that if you have a rhythm delay on a snare track in Maschine and a tempo synced delay in Live, they will flange a little even if synced to the same beat because of added latency. What about filters or other less "time-based" effects -- can you use them effectively in Maschine inside a Live set, or is it more a case that you compose on Maschine and then drop the audio or MIDI into Live and process it there?

And how do people deal with the time based issues?

Thanks.

glitchrock-buddha

Re: Maschine and effects latency

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:00 pm

I simply don't use effects with latency within plug-ins that host plug-ins. Well actually, generally I don't at all, which is the best way to go. But certainly within Kore or Maschine, I wouldn't use any effects with latency. Delays and things like that shouldn't cause any latency.
Professional Shark Jumper.

JES

Post by JES » Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:20 pm

Thanks for the reply. Could you say a little more about how you decide which effects go in Maschine and which you put in Live, or do all the Maschine tracks have effects in Maschine?

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:55 pm

In general, avoid plug-ins with some kind of look ahead, like limiters or certain compressors. For example vintage warmer has some latency and many other limiters. These are fine to apply in DAWs that have latency compensation, but you don't want to use them on send tracks or plug-ins that can also load other plug-ins, since they won't have latency compensation. Many DAWs will report the latency of a plug-in, such as Studio One. Grab the demo and load up plug-ins that you're unsure about and check the latency at the bar at the bottom.

o0o

Post by o0o » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:48 am

excuse me for asking here seems like you're doing well with maschine, may I ask is it possible to set each pad to be the note you want so that you can program specific scales on maschine. not in midi mode but in maschine mode. I'd like to force a softsynth to adhere to a specific notation. I know this is possible on the mpc series cause you can change each pad to be any note you want, this is what I'm looking for.
rabbit

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:50 pm

o0o wrote:excuse me for asking here seems like you're doing well with maschine, may I ask is it possible to set each pad to be the note you want so that you can program specific scales on maschine. not in midi mode but in maschine mode. I'd like to force a softsynth to adhere to a specific notation. I know this is possible on the mpc series cause you can change each pad to be any note you want, this is what I'm looking for.
I'm not sure to be honest. I never use the pads for playing pitches notes. I generally don't even tend to use pitched instruments in Maschine, but if I did I would just use a keyboard instead.

Dominga

Post by Dominga » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:54 pm

http://www.mediafire.com/?fvtggvp8kdvyjea

Have a look at this. It's a maschine project that has 8 groups mapped to scales. I changed the notes each pad sends in 4 different scales. Each scale has 4 octaves, between 2 groups. You just have to "point" maschine to ableton to use it. They are all in C, so use the midi pitch plug in ableton if you wanna change that. It can be pretty fun.

As far as doing something similar in maschine only, you can't. At least not yet, there is no way of routing midi internally.