Making all of my (currently unreleased) music free

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
aqua_tek

Making all of my (currently unreleased) music free

Post by aqua_tek » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:58 pm

I'm not a musical genius. More importantly, I don't have a great marketing team convincing the masses that I am.

So, I've come to accept the fact that I'm not going to make any kind of good money from music. At least not from what I've put out so far.

Based on that, I've decided to say "fuck it", and make it all free. At least the stuff that still hasn't been officially released. I can't guarantee that it'll be free forever. However, I'm hoping to keep it free long enough to generate a little bit more traffic, spread out a little more widely than it has so far, and keep the performance side (DJ, live, etc.) alive and kicking.

I'm starting out with the Deathwave stuff right now. Will also make the Nathan Vice stuff free shortly.

http://soundcloud.com/thedeathwave

http://soundcloud.com/nathan-vice

Go nuts. Put them in your recorded DJ mixes. Play them out at clubs. Just, please, have some integrity, be honest, and give credit where it's due.

perplex

Re: Making all of my (currently unreleased) music free

Post by perplex » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:35 pm

damn bro, i listened to the first couple tracks, and they sound really good.
cheers and kudos

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:03 pm

aqua_tek wrote:I'm not a musical genius. More importantly, I don't have a great marketing team convincing the masses that I am.
That's the key.

You throw your hat into a lot of genres and just about everything I've heard is a great example of whatever that genre is. There's a lot of people who post "Here's my go at [insert genre here]" and most of the time it's shit or is hardly an example of whatever genre they think they are attempting.

You, my friend, just need a stellar PR team and you'd totally break through.

lowriderSTi

Post by lowriderSTi » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:32 pm

so...any success after this?

dhilsabeck

Post by dhilsabeck » Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:50 am

Keep fighting the good fight.

aqua_tek

Post by aqua_tek » Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:57 pm

beats me wrote:
aqua_tek wrote:I'm not a musical genius. More importantly, I don't have a great marketing team convincing the masses that I am.
That's the key.

You throw your hat into a lot of genres and just about everything I've heard is a great example of whatever that genre is. There's a lot of people who post "Here's my go at [insert genre here]" and most of the time it's shit or is hardly an example of whatever genre they think they are attempting.

You, my friend, just need a stellar PR team and you'd totally break through.
Thanks man, I always appreciate the input.

I've tried finding a PR team but it's been difficult. The ones that are available, have shown interest, and I've tried to work with have done a half-assed job so far (at best). All the good ones seem uninterested as they are already swamped with constant submissions, and already have their cash cow acts.

I've gotten to that point of disgruntlement where I'm just saying "fuck all y'all, you're not helping anyways, I might as well make it all free for a while and see what happens." If nothing comes of it, well... not much will have changed, except for the fact that I didn't waste efforts and breath trying to get an actual PR team / label to put it out.

So, I have nothing to lose, basically, at this point.

starving student

Post by starving student » Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:48 pm

Aqua how do you feel about the concept of just taking it to the people, cutting out the middlemen, and just ever widening the circle block by block so to say, I'd like to know your thoughts on going that way.

nathannn

Post by nathannn » Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:33 am

after listening to your first track i wanted to start making some rap again.
i actually came up with some lyrics while listening.
thanks for posting.
The Push / Novation Launch Pad / Novation Launch Pad Pro / Novation Launch Key
/ Launch Control XL / Machine MkII / Machine Studio / BeatStep / Livid OhmRGB / Livid Code V2 / Apc 40 MKII

no computers or synths

20 Copies of Ableton Live Lite.

aqua_tek

Post by aqua_tek » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:58 am

starving student wrote:Aqua how do you feel about the concept of just taking it to the people, cutting out the middlemen, and just ever widening the circle block by block so to say, I'd like to know your thoughts on going that way.
not sure I know what you mean. Are you talking about releasing it myself / creating my own label? I thought about it, but never really mustered up the energy to continue looking into it. Again, just the less than stellar experience I've had with labels / marketing so far has really turned me off to it.

starving student

Post by starving student » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:36 am

yeah that is what I was getting at.