Room resonance?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
agent314

Room resonance?

Post by agent314 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:25 am

So I just moved into a new apartment, and after getting all my stuff set up, I learned that there is a VERY pronounced room resonance whenever playing the note D, most pronounced at D2 and below.

How can I get rid of the resonance? I haven't done any acoustic treatment yet - will that help?

The speakers are opposite a big flat wall - will putting up some Auralex-type foam panels be enough to help cut it down?

esky

Re: Room resonance?

Post by esky » Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:32 am

Hi, this is the place to look for a solution...:http://www.gearslutz.com/board/bass-tra ... -foam-etc/

Make an exact drawing of your room with all measures and someone will take care of your problem. I'm afraid foam will not help you,
it cuts down shatter echos in the high or high mid frequencies, but not in the lower department.

dancing Ray

Post by dancing Ray » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:31 am

I had a similiar problem. My mates advice was: "From now on you should write all your tracks in D, you´ll get a really heavy bass!" :wink: 8O :mrgreen:
Spiralgroove wrote:a little quantization never hurt nobody

borg

Post by borg » Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:17 pm

If you're experiencing peaks around certain frequencies (in your case 73.42 Hz and 36.71), you should indeed fix the room with bass traps.
However, if you're talking about a rattling sound, you should also go around the room and locate the vibrating parts, and do something about that.
Just last week, when playing an archtop guitar, with lots of low end, I also got lots of resoncance. It turned out to be an old external hard disk with loosened bolts, and the housing's sympathetic freq was just that of the G# on the low E-string. Moved it and problem solved.
It could be anything, though. Tightening bolts, screws, putting tape on big, thin surfaces, elastic seal for windows... all can help.
andy
2015 MBP, OSX 10.12, Live 10.1 64bit, RME Fireface 800

agent314

Post by agent314 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:40 pm

Thanks for the help all. I think bass traps are in my future.

Anybody know where to get some for semi-cheap? :D

If you're experiencing peaks around certain frequencies (in your case 73.42 Hz and 36.71), you should indeed fix the room with bass traps.
However, if you're talking about a rattling sound, you should also go around the room and locate the vibrating parts, and do something about that.
Just last week, when playing an archtop guitar, with lots of low end, I also got lots of resoncance. It turned out to be an old external hard disk with loosened bolts, and the housing's sympathetic freq was just that of the G# on the low E-string. Moved it and problem solved.
It could be anything, though. Tightening bolts, screws, putting tape on big, thin surfaces, elastic seal for windows... all can help.
This is definitely room resonance. If I hum a D loud enough, I can feel the whole room vibrating around me. Feels pretty awesome, actually, but is unfortunate for sound production.