beat repeat

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Cool Character

Re: beat repeat

Post by Cool Character » Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:26 pm

ian_halsall wrote:But you need to do that for every clip which is very tedious.
Would dummy clips help in this case?

drewbixcube

Post by drewbixcube » Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:13 pm

ian_halsall wrote:How can I repeat the last 1/4 bar of every bar?
Answered.
ian_halsall wrote:I get it but that won't repeat the last 1/4 of the first bar.
With the settings I listed, the repeat will occur every bar, as you originally wanted. I assumed you were just going to leave the repeat on, since you said you wanted it on every bar.
ian_halsall wrote:I think the problem is that I had the beat repeat on/off assigned to a midi controller and you actually have to push button before the start of the bar.
Otherwise it does the bar after the first. Is it possible to change this behaviour so that it always plays in the current zone of interest?
This is key information that could have gotten a more complete answer for what you want to do. We're trying to help, but it's difficult to do without knowing all of the variables. I apologize if I sound condescending, but please try to understand where I'm coming from on this.

Now, it sounds like you want to trigger the beat repeat on the fly, and have it catch the last 1/4 of the bar you're on. There are a number of ways to do this, all of which will require different routing. You could use dummy clips, and if you don't already know about dummy clips, I highly recommend you search the forum and read up on them. They are a very useful tool in the Live environment. However, I think the easiest way to get the effect you're after would be to put the beat repeat on a return track with the settings I gave you, and crank the send up on the track you want to repeat. Then, assign a MIDI control to the track volumes of both the send and return tracks, and invert the range of the MIDI control of one of the tracks. It doesn't matter which, so long as they are opposite. Lastly, set the return track to "Pre".

This will always repeat the last 1/4 of every bar, but you can freely control when you hear the effect. I'm not entirely certain, but I think the behavior you were witnessing has to do with beat repeat's buffer.

ian_halsall

Post by ian_halsall » Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:30 pm

Thanks for the tip - but I worked out a better solution for me.

I just keep it on all them time with the volume assigned to a knob.

Done.