click on loop in arrangent view

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
staplesyrup

click on loop in arrangent view

Post by staplesyrup » Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:17 pm

When I have a loop defined in the arrangement window, there is almost always an audible click at the loop point. its annoying - what causes it? can it be fixed?

towers of silence

Re: click on loop in arrangent view

Post by towers of silence » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:28 pm

It's most likely due to the loop point not being a zero-crossing point. You probably have the loop point set at a point where there is still some audio, and that's what is causing the click. Zoom in tight at the beginning and end of your loop. the loop points should be as close to the point where the waveform crosses the horizontal axis. If you can't resize your loop to cross at zero-crossing points you can set up a quick crossfade at the beginning and end of the loop to take away some, if not all, of the click

staplesyrup

Post by staplesyrup » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:22 pm

This doesnt seem to have anything to do with zero point crossings.

If I have a long sample playing in session view, and a shorter loop running in the arrangement window, with no other tracks active except the long sample, there is an audible click at the end of each loop on the channel running the long sample, which is not present if i turn off looping.

It seems like some kind of CPU glitch. If I record the output from the channel which is clicking, there is no click on the recording.

towers of silence

Post by towers of silence » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:43 pm

Hmmm, strange... Have you tried this with a variety of source material? Does it happen consistently?

I'd say maybe try raising your buffer to something like 1024 and see if it still does it, or perhaps load the clicking clip into RAM and see if that makes any difference

staplesyrup

Post by staplesyrup » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:30 pm

Loading clips into RAM makes no difference

Raising the buffer from to 1024 gets rid of the click.

Its pretty annoying though - what is so CPU intensive about a loop point?

My CPU meter reads 50% with this song.

The clicking occurs down to about 10% CPU, at a buffer size of 256

1024 is too high to happily play external synths...

Is Live's CPU meter innacurate or something?