Superior Audio Interface

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
michaeladam

Superior Audio Interface

Post by michaeladam » Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:24 am

Just upgraded yesterday my Audio Kontrol 1 to an Apogee Duet 2.
The result is so different that I am not sure I know my sound banks and my old mixes anymore. i might not need to go to pro studios to finalise my work before the mastering. Will see ....
Working with headphones is far less tiring process, everything sound more airy and natural. The bass are deeper. Everything sounds real.
Pre amps are very clean, sweet and punchy. Far less eq process involved in the recording ...
Missing the kontrol buttons though, which were really handy when on the move.
This is pro recording and mixing interface without a doubt. I wasnt too convinced comparing the original duet with the AK1.
Worth every penny spent as it does improve the quality of your work.
Will dj with the duet 2 next week and will see how it compare in a big club sound system.

Cant wait to receive my SSL Nucleus and hear the SuperAnalog pre amps and monitoring ... (Which is to me a modern age console for producer rather than a controler with a soundcard) See this great review http://www.sonicscoop.com/2011/05/18/re ... ker-petit/

Keep you posted

Let me know what are you view on the subject ...

MacbookPro 15" 2.66 core 2 duo 4 ram, Duet 2, live 8, Duende Native, Komplete 7, UAD2 laptop, Genelec 8040

salatspinatra

Re: Superior Audio Interface

Post by salatspinatra » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:19 am

Glad you can appreciate the difference. I'm looking for something that can give me a cue mix, but like you I've never felt right about compromising on output quality. Thing is, I couldn't promise that I nor my audience could detect the difference. I'd be curious if you could hear the difference between your new duet and the Echo Indigo DJx

http://www.echoaudio.com/Products/Expre ... /index.php

for example, which uses the now discontinued PCI slot (kind of a trade-off, IMO, between very direct access and it culminating in a 1/8' balanced jack). My follow up question, what's your latency?

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:55 pm

Indigo DJx latency was amazing- 1.5ms , the sound was obviously inferior (less definition, details) even compared to other cards I was using that time T.C. and Presonus mobile, which are not on Apogee level. OK for DJing and whenever I was too lazy hooking up to proper setup. Wouldnt use it for anything serious when you need to hear the details .

perplex

Post by perplex » Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:16 pm

i wonder how the switch from firewire to usb affected the duet 2

nuxnamon

Post by nuxnamon » Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:58 pm

but if your getting the nucleus, why the duet? i would think the nucleus would have a better analog front and hopefully better AD/DA for that money.. but yeah, i want one of those also..

michaeladam

Post by michaeladam » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:37 pm

you are right, the nucleus is probably a better option and I think I will be super happy with it too. But Nucleus is far from practicale to carry around in your bag ...

Will check latency later ... as for the test vs indigo dj while performing at clubs, will see ... but so far, it far superior than the Audio Kontrol which is a good soundcard in overall and never let me down in 5 years

Now I can from my bedroom to mixing studios bring MY sound in the process without compromise ... I bet SSL will make a USB duet killer soon

michaeladam

Post by michaeladam » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:51 am

Duet 2 on Ableton Live 8 on my Macbook Pro 2.66 core 2 duo 4 RAM is 1.33 @ 15 samples but it cracks and pops and ...

so I stick to 112 samples and it works just fine

meggymoo7

Post by meggymoo7 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:05 am

i want an rme babyface heard there is a ridonkulous diff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

perplex

Post by perplex » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:17 am

meggymoo7 wrote:i want an rme babyface heard there is a ridonkulous diff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
compared to what?

michaeladam

Post by michaeladam » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:25 pm

I have actually heard and tested the RME babyface ... It is very nice as well ... but I like the sound of Apogee better for what I do ...

Spyro

Post by Spyro » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:31 am

RME kicks ass but i wanna have this http://www.musotalk.de/talks-interviews ... -spl-neos/ xDDD

no seriously the babyface has a nice quality and i was completely satisfied with it.