MIDI and Hardware Synth questions

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
RottenToTheGore

MIDI and Hardware Synth questions

Post by RottenToTheGore » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:13 pm

I'm learning slowly, and this might not be something I'd do for awhile but I still wanted to ask.

OK, so I know that when you have something like a rackmount or desktop synth, you connect a MIDI keyboard to play notes, and use the knobs on it to edit the sound. But in the case where some synths don't have as many options on the unit (Such as the Mopho), are you able to use a MIDI controller with banks of knobs such as a BCR2000 to edit the sounds that way?

I figured if I'm not able to get to my computer, it would be nice to have something else to learn more and experiment with sound creation.

So what are the cheaper options for beginners just looking to have fun and learn? If my idea is correct, would there be something I need to look into that shows if the synth will allow MIDI controllers to edit the sound?

Sorry for the all the questions I'm asking, but thanks for the answers!

LeifonMars

Re: MIDI and Hardware Synth questions

Post by LeifonMars » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:34 pm

Well, you need MIDI cc chart of the synth (you can find out some things by experimenting as well, but it's quite a task to find out all them) in order to program them into a template of for a controller such as BCR. I have Evolver desktop, and I have made my Remote SL a dedicated template for it, but since I'm too busy during performance to actually tweak, I usually edit those commands into Live clips MIDI envelopes. This is actually a lot of fun and you can achieve great sound manipulating results that way.
MBP OSX 10.6.8, Live 8.4, MFII, Evolver, Monomachine, Octatrack, APC40, Launchpad

Ste_clectic

Post by Ste_clectic » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:59 pm

If you go for a mopho make sure your controller is capable of sending nprn as well as cc. The aforementioned remote sl can do this. The mopho is notoriously difficult to make a template for. The sl can only send nrpn from 8 knobs so you would probably need 10 different templates for full hands on control.

acatcalledanarchy

Post by acatcalledanarchy » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:38 pm

Once is curiousity, twice is fun, three times is an addiction...