Propellerhead Reason 6 announced!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Dragonbreath

Re: Propellerhead Reason 6 announced!

Post by Dragonbreath » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:10 am

kitekrazy wrote:
It could be worse. Cakewalk use to do annual versions. If you wanted a bug fix it might be addressed in the new version. I kinda respect Live for coming out and saying, "yeah 8 is messy so we won't wait for 9 to fix it".
+1 ableton might have a few bugs (I personally didnt have that many, and those I have a been fixed) but they fix there stuff...
Migra wrote:I think there will be Cubase 9, Reason 9, Logic 9 (already), ProTools 9 (already), Etc........ and Still No Live 9! ¬¬ :cry:
Honestly I love Ableton but Reason 6 looks interesting, I think I'll try it! I hate still No VST Support ¬¬ but looks great anyway!
Chill out do you how long ableton exist compared to some of these other co.

Cubase current version 6 (released in 2011)
Version 1 1989

Reason current version 5 (6 soon to be released)
Version 1 2000

Logic current version 9 (release 2009)
version 1 around 1990

Protools current version 9 (release 2011)
version 1 1991

Ableton current version 8 (release 2010)
version 1 2001

Ableton has been releasing new versions alot faster then any other software co. out there.
It started it off people laughed it off as some gimmick software now not even 10 years later people are expecting to do all that the other full fledge daws do and then some.

They have doing great work inovating digital audio, there still room for improvement

Cubase and reason are still YEARS away from version 9, its just a damn number

To go back on topic, the presets sound great in reason but the work flow is kinda of drage. Drag and drop digital cables is a bugger.
Even though I respect reason I feel its digital audio for people who are still hooked up analog.
There two different worlds they both have there ups and downs.
Analog is loosing some its ground and some people are nostalgic of that.
Ableton celebrates the future.

I am confident that when ableton 9 comes out we wont be disapointed

infiniteB

Post by infiniteB » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:48 am

Live 9 is gonna eat the panties of any DAW ever.
PRODUCER/LYRICIST

(SNEAK PREVIEW OF MY ALBUM)
SOUNDCLOUD
http://soundcloud.com/infinitebeyond/
MYSPACE
http://www.myspace.com/infiniteb
TWITTER:
http://twitter.com/InfiniteBeyond

kitekrazy

Post by kitekrazy » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:20 am

infiniteB wrote:Live 9 is gonna eat the panties of any DAW ever.
I doubt it. I think most DAWs have a uniqueness to them. Reaper is one of the most stable resource efficient apps out there but I think people who record a lot prefer that. It would be the last thing I would ever use if I wanted to work with a bunch of loops/

Who cares if is it gonna eat the panties off any DAW ever? Some people have this inferior complex if their DAW isn't somehow #1. I guess this was started by the Pro Tools crowd when more competition entered the arena.

This is one of the few forums that aren't over run with fanboys. It's really bad at the Cakewalk and Props forums.

I've had a lot of fun fighting with the Reason fan boys over the dongle issue. Some have vowed not to upgrade because of the dongle.

watuse

Post by watuse » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:36 am

TenSquare wrote:And it's 64 bits!
http://www.propellerheads.se/reason6/
Come on Ableton, give us Live 9!
why you want ableton live 9 when they are still working with live 8, plus live 8 could be 64 bit, and probably live 9 for those who bought live suite 8 to upgraded we would have to pay. More likely live 9 would have max for live integrated in live 9

dokx

Post by dokx » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:49 am

Reason is nice to look at, but very tiresome to work with, especially in complex arrangements. It has a kind of nerd appeal, like for people with to much time at their hands who are into dragging cables around to construct complex machines out of basic elements.

The only thing I am interested in concerning Reason is if there will be a proper Air or Assign release as well. :twisted:

Rationalizer

Post by Rationalizer » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:09 am

Dragonbreath wrote: Cubase current version 6 (released in 2011)
Version 1 1989
This is highly ot but Cubase has had a lot more versions than Live. Steinberg started with Cubase 1.0 which was for Atari ST. That series went to 3.0 and then they realeased Cubase VST. The current version 6 derives from Cubase SX which was launched in 2002. After Cubase SX3 they ditched the SX.

Here you can find all the versions, if interested: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steinberg_Cubase
WIN8.1 x64 | Suite 9.5 x64 | RME FF400 | UAD-2 | Maschine 2 | SparkLE | Mopho | Blodeld | Komplete 9 | Ebony A2 | Adam A7 | Launchpad | Waves Diamond V9 | Many VSTs

Facebook | Youtube | Soundcloud | Beatport

Rationalizer

Post by Rationalizer » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:24 am

WIN8.1 x64 | Suite 9.5 x64 | RME FF400 | UAD-2 | Maschine 2 | SparkLE | Mopho | Blodeld | Komplete 9 | Ebony A2 | Adam A7 | Launchpad | Waves Diamond V9 | Many VSTs

Facebook | Youtube | Soundcloud | Beatport

McQ714

Post by McQ714 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:24 pm

Dragonbreath wrote:Chill out do you how long ableton exist compared to some of these other co.

Cubase current version 6 (released in 2011)
Version 1 1989

Reason current version 5 (6 soon to be released)
Version 1 2000

Logic current version 9 (release 2009)
version 1 around 1990

Protools current version 9 (release 2011)
version 1 1991

Ableton current version 8 (release 2010)
version 1 2001

Ableton has been releasing new versions alot faster then any other software co. out there.
Yeah those other "companies" like Cubase, Logic, and Pro Tools have been around a lot longer... :roll:
Secondly, this is just plain stupid in that there is no rule on what a new release has to include.
I've come to realize, after looking into some of the other programs and their features, that you simply cannot compare Live with most of the other DAWs because they just weren't made to do what Live can do and vice versa. I'm sure Ableton would love nothing more than for Live to be considered the final word of studio recording/editing but I just don't see that happening anytime soon. As for some of the others.. try DJing at a club with Pro Tools. i don't think you'd get very far.

drewbixcube

Post by drewbixcube » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:41 pm

lol, DJing with Pro Tools is actually possible now that it has time stretching. You'd have to get creative with dragging and dropping tracks you wanted to mix together, but it is possible. Quite honestly, it's a very short leap from doing that to Djing with Live. Really, the only difference is you can launch clips rather than drag & drop. That's what set's Live apart from every single DAW out there, and that's why you are reading this post. :P

In regards to Reason, the only thing I've truly been impressed by is the NNXT's pitch detection. Very handy when building a found sound sample instrument, and I haven't seen it in any other sampler. Although, I haven't used very many other samplers, so it may be out there. I am happy with Live's sampler though, so I just use that. It's simple, straight forward, and if I need help detecting a pitch I just drop a Spectrum after the instrument.

+1 for Reason being too cluttered in any sort of complex arrangement. And always having to scroll to get where you want to go... scroll, scroll, scroooolllll. Bah!

MIDIpanic

Post by MIDIpanic » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:37 pm

I have just written Ableton Support about the 64-bit ReWire issue. From the Propellerhead website:
  • From Propellerheads FAQ's:
    Is ReWire going to be 64-bit too?
    Just as Reason 6 and Reason Essentials, ReWire will be 64-bit too. Note that 64-bit ReWire needs to be implemented in both the slave application (Reason 6, Reason Essentials) and your host. Please contact the manufacturer of your ReWire host of choice for compatibility information.
I re-wire Reason into Live for most of my projects. I am very concerned that Reason 6 won’t work in Ableton Live because it is still 32-bit. I’ll try to post again once I hear back from Ableton Support.

kitekrazy

Post by kitekrazy » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:33 pm

MIDIpanic wrote:I have just written Ableton Support about the 64-bit ReWire issue. From the Propellerhead website:
  • From Propellerheads FAQ's:
    Is ReWire going to be 64-bit too?
    Just as Reason 6 and Reason Essentials, ReWire will be 64-bit too. Note that 64-bit ReWire needs to be implemented in both the slave application (Reason 6, Reason Essentials) and your host. Please contact the manufacturer of your ReWire host of choice for compatibility information.
I re-wire Reason into Live for most of my projects. I am very concerned that Reason 6 won’t work in Ableton Live because it is still 32-bit. I’ll try to post again once I hear back from Ableton Support.
I'm sure you get the option of using both bit versions of Reason. They would be the first to have 64 bit if it came to that.

kitekrazy

Post by kitekrazy » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:36 pm

drewbixcube wrote:
In regards to Reason, the only thing I've truly been impressed by is the NNXT's pitch detection.
It hasn't worked for me. Neither sampler will load 32 bit files either. They have the worst integrated samplers out there.

starving student

Post by starving student » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:40 pm

why does everyone talk about reasons scrolling, isn't the sequencer detachable these days or is it that even so you still need to scroll allot?

drewbixcube

Post by drewbixcube » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:00 pm

starving student wrote:why does everyone talk about reasons scrolling, isn't the sequencer detachable these days or is it that even so you still need to scroll allot?
Sure, the sequencer can be detached to give you a minimal amount of extra real estate, but for large sessions, scrolling is still a pain.

drewbixcube

Post by drewbixcube » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:01 pm

kitekrazy wrote:
drewbixcube wrote:
In regards to Reason, the only thing I've truly been impressed by is the NNXT's pitch detection.
It hasn't worked for me. Neither sampler will load 32 bit files either. They have the worst integrated samplers out there.
32 bit files? How much storage do you have? I've never even come across a 32 bit sample. Am I living in the stone age?