so the Beat thang is actually at my local bestbuy

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
mattadms

Re: so the Beat thang is actually at my local bestbuy

Post by mattadms » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:15 pm

the way this thing is designed reminds me more of a "fast&thefurious-promkingcar" than of a professional audio kit.

EpikureeR

Post by EpikureeR » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:22 pm

mattadms wrote:the way this thing is designed reminds me more of a "fast&thefurious-promkingcar" than of a professional audio kit.
+1

drewbixcube

Post by drewbixcube » Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:09 pm

Maybe I'm reading into it the wrong way. Isn't this who they're marketing to?

:lol: Nah, this is one of the Vice Presidents of the company. Straight from the streets he is not.

starving student

Post by starving student » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:25 pm

EpikureeR wrote:this "discussion" is so useless, I would love starving student to stop making promotion for this piece of kit.
I guess most won't get it because its like 5 years to late.
This price would have been okay back then, but who needs those "mastering fx", which normally don't give you anything, you need powerful gear to do good mastering (or dsp cards, or really good plugins).
Beat Thang failed on the market since Maschine, APC, Spark, Nerve etc. bang the sh1t out of this piece of kit.
an experienced classy musician such as yourself should know that we're not actually talking about 'mastering' , Maschine has master fx as well but you don't see anyone sending their tracks to maschine users to get them mastered just because maschine has master fx.
every groove box has master fx as you already know.

like you said it's 5 years too late so what are you doing here in the past wasting your time trying to suppress my voice just be easy and go back to the future.

starving student

Post by starving student » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:59 pm

did anyone get the background on the open source os this thing is using?

one thing I didn't like about it the other day was the boot time, and maybe one of you cats can answer
this, if sample loading from the flash cards is suppose to be almost no waiting, then shouldn't it be the same when it comes to the onboard ram, the ram should be faster than the flashcards right,,,
I don't like the time it takes kits to load, it might be because the kits I loaded were from their library and were quite larger than what a kit I would make for myself but it still took a breath to long. I'll be loading up my own kits tomorrow and will see how that goes

starving student

Post by starving student » Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:56 pm

Ok I just got this thing home, i'm looking on the box and it says the fx are made from Open source LADSPA plugins and that they're future expandable, I read on another forum where one of the dudes behind the company said that it would be possible in an update to use VSTs with this maschine and that they are lookin into making cpu upgrades available..... so assuming the best case scenario isn't this what all you super geniuses have been wanting out there cause I guess this thing is actually a laptop in the form of a groove box with a dedicated open sourced os, lemme open up this thing an get at it but where the hell is hoffman2k when ya need him? I know we've got some other big brains round these parts too just about all of ya'll so drop some knowledge while I crack the manual.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcmNBTNV ... re=related

Rationalizer

Post by Rationalizer » Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:30 pm

There is absolutely nothing that would make me buy this 'thang'. It's ugly and overpriced and old school (in a bad way).

Sorry starving student.
WIN8.1 x64 | Suite 9.5 x64 | RME FF400 | UAD-2 | Maschine 2 | SparkLE | Mopho | Blodeld | Komplete 9 | Ebony A2 | Adam A7 | Launchpad | Waves Diamond V9 | Many VSTs

Facebook | Youtube | Soundcloud | Beatport

razorblade

Post by razorblade » Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:42 pm

Rationalizer wrote:There is absolutely nothing that would make me buy this 'thang'. It's ugly and overpriced and old school (in a bad way).

Sorry starving student.
It was run over by the ugly bus,then the bus driver got out and finished beating it with the ugly stick while an ugly dog peed all over it.
No...I am 3phase!

starving student

Post by starving student » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:10 pm

Rationalizer wrote:There is absolutely nothing that would make me buy this 'thang'. It's ugly and overpriced and old school (in a bad way).

Sorry starving student.
well time will surely tell, cause I will spend this week with it, but tell me this, whats old school about

ext hard drive
2 sd card slots
flash/thumb drive
pitch / modwheels
open source os
integrated with virtual machine on computer but you don't have to use that if you don't want.

isn't this what all the geeks have been after forever ?

and that's not even half

starving student

Post by starving student » Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:17 pm

in the system preffs this thing has buffer settings, the lowest is 256 on up to 2048

nuxnamon

Post by nuxnamon » Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:11 pm

So I stopped by just to check it out. They didn't have it in their music section. All they had were random low end products strictly for beginners. I honestly don't know why they made this a Best Buy exclusive because who the honestly buys equipment from there? On a side note, I did see a NKTOBSB (new kids on the block & backstreet boys new cd compilation) cd that someone had 2nd thoughts buying and left there next to the casio lighted keyboard. Starving student? :D

starving student

Post by starving student » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:59 am

did you ask them to tell you which bestbuy near you had one?

I'm working this thing out right now, so far there have been no problems, there is definitely some getting used to though, I guess I'm one of those who prefers the 16 pad lay out, but even still the workflow on this thing is pretty incredible, right now something is bothering me though, the beat kangz have really come up with something super unique here and I don't care what anybody tells you it's the weirdest feeling to be fuckin with something that just came out of somebodys imagination without following any rules, i'm going to go out on a limb and say that the workflow is better than maschines, but that it's not as snappy as an mpc, apparently they have created a new genre, Its almost like the beatthang came from the future or something like terminator it looks like it too hahaha, maschine pioneered this new 'lets get back to true integration' thing, and the beat thang is way ahead of it, naturally I guess cause you don't need a computer, but the beat thang is not as confident as the mpc, I'm constantly waiting for something to go wrong so at this point it's probably me more than the beat thang, i guess after a couple of days I should be more comfortable.

what I'm not so comfortable about is the fact that this thing is really a neko, it really is and I know that all of them are computers really including every single mpc but the mpc doesn't feel like a computer at all to me, but this thing feels like you're sitting at the smallest neko. it is built like an armored tank, the knobs could be better, they are some combinations of rubber and plastic I think but the chassy is the most solid thing I've seen on an instrument in a long time. and it's too heavy. the whole thing is small enough to fit in a small bag, the sampler is smaller than a 13" macbook but if you carried this thing around in a bag for an hour your shoulder would hurt it's that heavy, and it's super stable you cannot walk by this thing and accidentally knock it off the table.....seriously you can't, it's not going anywhere, if you try to nudge it with your finger you have to apply serious pressure to move it.

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:07 am

Good luck!
ImageImage

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:38 pm

is it really 1500$ ???
8O

I'm wanting one of theses :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQE97OmN ... re=related