Akai MPK Mini Script

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
towers of silence

Re: Akai MPK Mini Script

Post by towers of silence » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:02 pm

Oh and thanks mattadms, your script has been really useful. I just got an MPK Mini last friday, loaded up your script in Ableton that afternoon and used it for a gig that night with no issues, so cheers for that

khertz

Post by khertz » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:44 am

@towers, thanks for head up in this. I'll try it on weekends, really excited, I'm on windows 7 platform, anything that I should look out for in terms of configuration?

mattadms

Post by mattadms » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:16 pm

From what ive heard you shouldnt run into any troubles.

Also I updated the first post again and added the information about using Impulse with the MPK Pads.

towers of silence

Post by towers of silence » Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:26 pm

@mattadms
In your ReadMe file you may want to also mention that the "Remote" button for the MPK Input in Live's MIDI Preference's menu needs to be on or the knobs won't work....I have a feeling that might solve several of the previous posters issues....

mattadms

Post by mattadms » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:06 am

The for the hint.. will update asap! :oops:

/rand

Post by /rand » Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:03 pm

Hello there!
First, Thanks mattadms for sharing your script, and thanks to the others guys trying to fix issues :)

then, I'm getting mad into this since half a day i'm trying and can't figure out why I can't make the automapping working, for knobs and for pads also...
Live gets midi message from the MPK mini, I can manually map knobs to any virtual knobs in Live and pads works only in a range of notes (set into the editor) (like i could already do before) but not automatic mapping to selected pad range (actually I don't really care about pads but the knobs autommapping would be pretty convinient).

I followed the steps as it should be (1st preset in editor to mpk mini, then config textfile for ableton live), mpk mini shows up in the drop down list, i've set mpk mini in "control surface" "in" and "out", checked the remote button etc...
and I think i understand how the Userconfig.txt is supposed to set the mpk mini a "blue hand" controller via encoders and channels.

The probleme seems more to come from Live, I feel like whatever I say in the user config file, It won't make any changes...

I guess I'm missing something obvious but can't figure out what :/

also I have a question regarding my comprehension of the Userconfig file: In mattadms files, knobs channel is set to 14 and pads channel to 15 (in editor), Why the global channel channel of the userconfig file is set to 14, should'nt it be set to 13 to match it with the knobs channel and the encoder channel? Anyway, i may set it to whatever number or leave it as mattadms did, it won't change anything...

Thanks in advance if someone's got an idea. :)

mattadms

Post by mattadms » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:50 am

That's indeed very weird.
First for troubleshooting purposes: drop a drumrack with some pads on some channel and try to play it with the drumpads (since I mapped those to be working with the first rows of the Drum-Rack out of the box without the mapping anyway) - if what wont work, it's probably a wrong active program on the MPK (or something went wrong with the settings upload).

/rand

Post by /rand » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:16 pm

Thanks for your answer,

Yes, mpk mini's pads are matching the drum rack initial position pads when i use one of your preset, But no automapping with the knobs.
MPK mini's preset seems to work fine, i can switch between your presets and my older presets (saved in prog 1/2/3/4), changes applys.
I feel more like ableton doesn't "read" the userconfig file...

mothergarage

Post by mothergarage » Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:01 pm

I extended your preset a bit, if you don't mind Matt ;)

It works as it did before but with some alterations. I kept MIDI cannel 15 for all presets.

get it here!
Last edited by mothergarage on Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
home | sound | twitter | m4l
Windows 10 64bit - Live 11.0.6 - M4L 8 - RME Babyface/iConnectAUDIO4+

/rand

Post by /rand » Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:14 pm

Thanks! i'll try that asap :)

mattadms

Post by mattadms » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:30 pm

mothergarage wrote:I extended your preset a bit, if you don't mind Matt ;)
Sure thing :) I'll update the first page with a link to your post!

LakesideWiseman

Post by LakesideWiseman » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:03 pm

This might help some people having problems getting the script to work on Windows.

You have to put the MPK Mini Folder in your Users\<Your Username>\App Data\Roaming\Ableton\<Live Version>\Preferences\User Remote Scripts.

If you place it within the Ableton Folder in your Program files folder, it will still show up in the Control Surfaces drop down but will not work whatsoever. If it is placed into the Preferences folder everything works perfectly but in the Control Surfaces drop down it will now appear at the bottom of the list.

I think this is exactly the problem /rand is having above...

bass daddy

Post by bass daddy » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:44 pm

Thanks, LakesideWiseman, you're a lifesaver !

Your tip to put the MPK Mini Folder into Users\<Your Username>\App Data\Roaming\Ableton\<Live Version>\Preferences\User Remote Scripts, and the UserConfiguration file in that folder, did the trick.

The control knobs work to change the instrument parameters now, although the knob assignments on instruments with more than 8 parameters seem a little "random" but work
nonetheless.

/rand

Post by /rand » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:19 pm

LakesideWiseman you're the man!
Your folder thing fixed my issue!

thank you so much!
And again, thanks mattadms for the script :D

mrbendel

Post by mrbendel » Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:10 pm

Anyone know how to set this up in lion? Lion merged all user folders into one global user folder root/Library/... but there's not folder like anyone described here.