Answer to Akai MPK49 midi compatability issue with APC40

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Jon-J

Answer to Akai MPK49 midi compatability issue with APC40

Post by Jon-J » Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:24 pm

So like me you thought that the Akai MPK49 and APC40 were going to be perfectly compatible and would be the perfect setup...you took it out of the box and plugged it in no drivers disk necessary only to find that the APC40 would not work if you had the MPK49 on at the same time...SIGH!

After more than 2 decades of midi's existence hardware and software still seem far from aligned with this so called midi standard.

So what did I do to fix it...I unplugged both peices of hardware from the original USB ports I had them plugged into and then I plugged them both in to different USB ports on my PC - it mean't moving my mouse and keyboard to different USB sockets but now my Akai MPK49 and my APC40 work when I have the LiveLite preset on the MPK49 on.

The only thing you will notice is that some of the MPK49's automapping for the LiveLite preset no longer automaps but if you use Lives midi mapping feature then everything works as expected

Hope it helps some of you at least, I don't pretend this is a global solution to this type of problem but every suggestion helps I guess.

If this fix works for you please let me know

Cheers

J

Dragonbreath

Re: Answer to Akai MPK49 midi compatability issue with APC40

Post by Dragonbreath » Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:10 pm

I have an mpk49 and a apc40 and have no issues at all... they work fine together...

Off course the knobs and faders on the mpk49 and the bottom 8 on apc40 to the same thing cause there both assign to the same thing...

Im on a mac so might be why I dont have problems and you do

Jon-J

Post by Jon-J » Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:57 pm

Ok I take it back...it worked until I restarted my computer and then it stopped working again.

I am running Ableton 8.2 on a Windows XP

I am completely baffled as to why this is happening - I would love to hear from other XP users of the same Ableton version if you are in the same boat or not.

I have contacted Akai twice and they don't reply what so ever

Buleriachk

Post by Buleriachk » Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:38 am

I don't know if this is relevant, but there is an issue with the APC-40 if you have ever had a Logitech Quickcam installed (it is a Logitech issue). You have to COMPLETELY remove their drivers.... (it worked for me, anyway)..

concept_control

Post by concept_control » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:47 am

It's because developers don't bother to create bespoke drivers for their products.

Don't get me wrong, it's great in theory to run off core drivers- it's just plug and play, guaranteed compatibility. Yet when everything revolves around the same driver things start coming undone quickly with conflicts.

Jon-J

Post by Jon-J » Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:37 pm

@concept_control - I agree with you there, plug n play with no drivers is an awesome idea but I would prefer to have something to install from a disc if it meant my keyboard would work properly... doesn't take 5 mins really.

I'm not bashing the Akai MPK49 as a piece of hardware as I think when it is working it will be great but I haven't made any tunes in like a week just trying to get this damn thing sorted.

cotdagoo

Post by cotdagoo » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:19 pm

simple fix - don't use the 'live lite' preset (which only controls the first 8 channels anyhow) and write your own preset, put it on a different midi channel, whatever you need to do..

ark

Post by ark » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:27 am

I've had a similar problem with the APC40 and MPD24 together. I think that what happens is that both of the Akai devices have class-compliant USB interfaces, so Live can't tell them apart. As a result, it sometimes connects to the wrong device.

I think I was able to resolve the problem this way:

Go into Live's MIDI page and turn off all Akai devices except the APC40. Make sure that is enabled on the earliest slot you can. Now exit Live, connect your APC40, launch Live again. Make sure that the APC40 works correctly.

Now exit Live again and connect your MPK49. Launch Live again. The APC40 should still be connected. Now enable the MPK49 in another one of your device slots.

In the future, as long as you connect the MPK49 and APC40 to the same MIDI slots each time, it should continue to work. At least that's what happened with me.

Jon-J

Post by Jon-J » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:18 pm

Thanks for your response Ark - at work at the mo but I will go home and try this out later and will let you know

Cheers

Jon-J

Post by Jon-J » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:41 pm

Ark! - You absolute legend!!

Your sequence of plugging in and setting up works and holds true even after the ole restart test.

Thanks you so much for the help and thanks everyone else for the comments

Hope someone else finds Arks post useful also

Off to make some music and completely ignore my mouse screen and keyboard :)

alexjholland

Post by alexjholland » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:24 am

Akai simply do not make a keyboard to match the APC40.

I don't understand how they can look at their product lineup; and not clearly see that users who have an APC40 are going to want a spartan keyboard with no track controls.

Why, when I have an APC 40, would I possibly want to give them £350 for a MIDI keyboard with the same track controls on top? What a dumb marketing/design proposition!

It's sheer luck they happen to own Alesis, who make the Q49 - a smart, black keyboard with no extra controls - that means they're making any money out of my keyboard purchase.

I can only presume they don't really fancy selling many APC40s; and therefore don't anticipate supplying APC40 owners with a sensible keyboard option.

jupebox

Post by jupebox » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:37 pm

could the problem be related to ableton not effectively working with the mpk49? i have an mpk49 and it is crazy hard to use. it will work, then suddenly stop working.

Hermanus

Post by Hermanus » Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:36 am

The epic fail is about lanchpad + apc40 when you start/want some midi mapping.

The answer is "get MaxForLive", I'm not happy with this kind of reply.

As said above if you use the live preset in the mpk49 you will surely get in trouble.
I got a mpd32 and every knobs and buttons can be assigned at wish [which midi channel, midi note or CC]

Too bad they did not thought about tweakability with specific daw controlers.
Or is it done by purpose?