The OSX Lion Early Adopter Whiners' Depot

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
Khazul

Re: The OSX Lion Early Adopter Whiners' Depot

Post by Khazul » Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:48 am

If you really have to install this then stick it on a fresh partition rather than upgrading you main working OS (ie clone tpo another HD then upgrade it). It may take a while before everything works on it to the level it does on snow leopard. At least that way you have a back out if it all goes to hell.

For me - I have it installed on an external drive that I can boot from. Mostly its fine TBH, but I havnt used it that much for actual audio work rather than dev and testing.
Nothing to see here - move along!

razorblade

Post by razorblade » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:14 pm

Maybe next year....I learned a long time ago to not jump to soon into a new OS version.
No...I am 3phase!

Theo Void

Post by Theo Void » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:08 pm

I'm still on Leopard. Haven't got Snow Leopard yet. Fuck a Lion!!

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:23 pm

Sunsetter wrote:I'm still on Leopard. Haven't got Snow Leopard yet. Fuck a Lion!!
How can you live without the new features, like the new swipe-cluster-area-workspace-user-desktop-amalgamation-navigation-control-center-command-station, which with a single swipe shows you all your concurrent windows all scrunched up up in a slightly different way than the last window scrunching virtual space organizational tool?

I want it. And I want it to look like my iphone too because when I'm not looking at my iphone I miss my iphone screen.
Professional Shark Jumper.

Theo Void

Post by Theo Void » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:00 pm

glitchrock-buddha wrote:
Sunsetter wrote:I'm still on Leopard. Haven't got Snow Leopard yet. Fuck a Lion!!
How can you live without the new features, like the new swipe-cluster-area-workspace-user-desktop-amalgamation-navigation-control-center-command-station, which with a single swipe shows you all your concurrent windows all scrunched up up in a slightly different way than the last window scrunching virtual space organizational tool?

I want it. And I want it to look like my iphone too because when I'm not looking at my iphone I miss my iphone screen.
I'm too poor for an Iphone, and I'm still impressed by expose and spaces!

Although, now that you've told me about swipe nav amlg cluster fuck I think I need it too! Wonder how much I can get for these kids. I have 2. They're kinda small but I'm sure they're hard workers.
Maybe I can finally join the rest of the world in Iphone heaven too!

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:19 pm

I've got roughly 20 different developers applications on my laptop. I see no reason to hop on Lion until every single one of them is cleared for take off, and even then, I'm on a 5 year old macbook at this point, so I'm stuck in 32 bit, and slower CPUs, so upgrading seems like a waste of processing power, as most new versions have sucked more CPU. I mean I just bought Live 8, and mostly because I'm going to have to start using Max 4 Live at some point here. Being an early adopter means paying a price in stability at times and the earlier you adopt the less you know whether said version will be stable on your system.

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:30 pm

The true Apple fanboy just buys a whole new Mac when a new OS is released. That way they can test it and still use their old computer that was most likely working fine anyway.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:40 pm

beats me wrote:The true Apple fanboy just buys a whole new Mac when a new OS is released. That way they can test it and still use their old computer that was most likely working fine anyway.
Yeah, true Apple fanboys are much wealthier than this working stiff. :?
I got one more year on this computer, and even then I'm sitting on a gold mine of useful discontinued NI kit, which could be problematic on Lion, so I might just buy this years model macbook pro next year. The 15" quad 2.0 is a freaking nice machine at a decent price IMO.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:42 pm

:x

It's not about wealth.

It's about DETERMINATION borne out of LOVE.

I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

Theo Void

Post by Theo Void » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:46 pm

beats me wrote:The true Apple fanboy just buys a whole new Mac when a new OS is released. That way they can test it and still use their old computer that was most likely working fine anyway.
i lol'd.
i've had my white late 08 core 2 duo 4gb macbook for years and she's still bangin! Sexy as ever. Ok maybe alil discolored but i still give it to her daily.

If I had un-limited cash I would buy every single thing apple shoved down my throat the day it came out

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:50 pm

LoopStationZebra wrote::x

It's not about wealth.

It's about DETERMINATION borne out of LOVE.

:lol:

Pay off the 9K still on my credit card as a blow back to me buying this house and I'll get right on that DETERMINATION! :x
It's possible I'm paid off next year, and yeah first thing I'll do is get a brand fuckin new macbook pro!
It will be so brutally nice to be able to never worry about CPU, for at least another 4 years! :twisted:

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:10 pm

I think I'm running a late 2008/early 2009 MBP. So a new unit would probably be nice. It takes forever to boot up, espceially compared to my Air and the trackpad is getting all possessed, often right clicking or double clicking when I didn't actually do that. This has seemed to gotten worse with each new OS update.

I know if I get a new computer today I can take my drive out of my old one, slap it in the new one and it's good to go. If I get a new one that comes proloaded with Lion can I still do that? I'm assuming the OS is tied to the drive and not the computer so it shouldn't matter if I put a snow leapard drive in a computer that came with a drive with lion on it. 8O :x

Also on the wish list is a 3T Time Capsule I can use with Time Machine. That size drive should have me covered for quite some time.

rcpunker

Post by rcpunker » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:43 pm

By everyone WAITING until the bugs are fixed doesnt make any sense.
Wouldnt it be better for us to install Lion and trip over the bugs ourselves and report it to make it better?
I know I know, we are not paid TESTERS.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:25 pm

rcpunker wrote:By everyone WAITING until the bugs are fixed doesnt make any sense.
Wouldnt it be better for us to install Lion and trip over the bugs ourselves and report it to make it better?
I know I know, we are not paid TESTERS.
Well after years of wasting time testing by being an early adopter I'm tired of not getting paid to test...
Though I would gladly sign up to test Live 9 as I want my favorite performance tool to be rock solid this time out and want to make sure to yell and holler as loud as possible if this time they release it while it's still buggy on my system. I blame us detractors as much as the fanboys for the problems 8 had, at least myself, because I just caved and didn't send in multiple reports beyond crash files saying that I didn't think it was ready.

Like I said though, Lion might kill some discontinued NI kit I love like Spektral Delay, so I'm wary of jumping aboard.

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:36 am

Just read a report that Apple removed Front Row from Lion which is complete bullshit if you use your Mac for a media server :x (and don't want to use Plex for some fucked up reason :P :x )