sample layering

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
lungdonor

sample layering

Post by lungdonor » Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:43 am

Hi,
I would like to have multiple snares hitting independently with a slight delay between each snares. But I want them to be triggered with the same midi note. I don't want to offset each midi event manually.
(like the snares/claps in this example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtTpszuKXqA)
I can only move the starting point in the sample and that's not what I want.
I could resample the hits with silence before each hit and then move the starting point, but is there a more quick way to do this?
thanks

Warrior Bob

Re: sample layering

Post by Warrior Bob » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:17 pm

Perhaps you could put a delay on one snare and set it to 100% wet?

EDIT: I presume you're already using racks to make one note trigger all the snares.

lungdonor

Post by lungdonor » Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:02 pm

Good idea. But it's a little bit annoying to not have this feature which is in my opinion essential for a drum machine.

AceLuby

Post by AceLuby » Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:24 pm

lungdonor wrote:Good idea. But it's a little bit annoying to not have this feature which is in my opinion essential for a drum machine.
Live's drum racks are not supposed to be a drum machine. They are much more powerful than that.
levimoniz wrote:yes i'm a hypocrite and not intelligent

Warrior Bob

Post by Warrior Bob » Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:06 am

lungdonor wrote:Good idea. But it's a little bit annoying to not have this feature which is in my opinion essential for a drum machine.
I agree it'd be cool to have a MIDI delay effect. I don't know about "essential" but that's just a difference of opinion.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:48 am

What version of Ableton do you have?

If you chuck a sampler on a pad you can load multiple samples in and I am sure you can set a pre delay or something.

The only other way I could think is with an LFO or something unless you laid a small silence delay in front of the samples. All this is time consuming and just having 3 seperate pads and offsetting in the keyroll is easiest.

scarecrow

Post by scarecrow » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:24 am

i use a separate drum sampler called poise for this exact purpose, you can do it with the drum rack using a delay on each sample as well it only takes about 4 times as long to get there. you could set up a preset that might speed things up a bit...