whats the best way to hook up E-Drumkit to ableton for Midi

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
bassguy

whats the best way to hook up E-Drumkit to ableton for Midi

Post by bassguy » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:15 pm

whats the best way to hook up an Electronic-Drumkit to ableton for Midi tracking??

Khazul

Re: whats the best way to hook up E-Drumkit to ableton for Midi

Post by Khazul » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:20 pm

Plugging in the midi cable usually helps.
Nothing to see here - move along!

Warrior Bob

Post by Warrior Bob » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:23 pm

Your drumkit probably sends MIDI on its on. If not, you'll need to find some software solution for making it send MIDI.

Take a MIDI cable and go MIDI out from the drumkit to MIDI in on your audio/MIDI interface. Arm a MIDI track in Ableton and set its input to the appropriate interface and MIDI channel - which, for drums, will probably be channel 10.

That's it :)

bassguy

Post by bassguy » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:33 pm

oh MIDI cable has to be plugged in??......no shit.

I was tinkering with a Roland TD-20 kit,and instead of recording normally, i was trying something different not getting great results. Thanks. I believe it might be a crosstalk problem now (not between drums)_ but between the TD-20 and the interface (with said cord plugged in,AND the power is on too,imagiiiine that)

trommelmeister

Post by trommelmeister » Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:38 pm

bassguy wrote:I was tinkering with a Roland TD-20 kit,and instead of recording normally, i was trying something different not getting great results. Thanks. I believe it might be a crosstalk problem now (not between drums)_ but between the TD-20 and the interface (with said cord plugged in,AND the power is on too,imagiiiine that)
I have a quite similar setup at my home, meaning TD-20 connected via MIDI to an external audio interface which is then used by Ableton Live. I normally use either Session Drums or Toontrack's Superior Drummer 2.0 and in addition also record the 8 analog outputs. That way I can later decide if I just use the audio signals from the TD-20 or use the Superior Drummer or find a mixture between both.

What interests me is what kind of crosstalk you have detected. You said "not between drums but between the TD-20 and the interface" - what did crosstalk with what exactly? How can the TD-20 interfere with the interface when being connected via MIDI?

Regards, Martin

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:23 am

bassguy wrote:oh MIDI cable has to be plugged in??......no shit.

I was tinkering with a Roland TD-20 kit,and instead of recording normally, i was trying something different not getting great results. Thanks. I believe it might be a crosstalk problem now (not between drums)_ but between the TD-20 and the interface (with said cord plugged in,AND the power is on too,imagiiiine that)
Well if you had said what was up in the first place - might have been able to give a useful answer - dumb questions get dumb answers. Anyway your still not explaining what your problem is.

Do you mean when record is enabled in live every time you hit a drum it sounds like everything is being played twice? I have a td12 kit - only headache recording is the timing of the midi once it's in live - unuseably awful so I used to record the audio as well as a reference to fix the timing of the midi after.
Nothing to see here - move along!