why so much secretism about Live 9?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Tweaking Knobs

why so much secretism about Live 9?

Post by Tweaking Knobs » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:40 pm

i mean other software companies talk open and wide about their new and upcoming releases...

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

steffensen

Re: why so much secretism about Live 9?

Post by steffensen » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:55 pm

They most certainly do not. Logic anyone?
Also, WHO have said theres is a v9 on the way? Just because there are so many naive threads about it, it must be true?
I cant handle the v9 frenzy, its all over the place. Whats wrong with people.

oddstep

Post by oddstep » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:12 pm

it's boredom combined with Pavlovian conditioning. for me Live is an expensive software instrument that I use to create music, either as part of a group or as a solo musician. I sense that for some people its a form of stimulant, with regular fixes in the form of upgrades or content purchases. Before Live 9 comes out, there'll be the massive public beta test to build up some buzz. Until then, there's nothing to talk about.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:17 pm

Ableton have always been secretive to the point of hilarity.
Remember when the images/ video of the Vocoder leaked out - and they still denied it existed!
That was excellent.

Also - they've told people that a feature was going to be in (Share)- only to have to pull it just before release. That can't have been a great moment for them, so I think they'd now be even more secretive than they were before.
If that were possible.

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:00 pm

Good responses so far. I was expecting another speculation circle jerk.

All I hope for is that 9 is more initially stable than 8 with some workflow improvements and maybe some features that make it more aligned with other DAWs, like the 40-year-old who no longer feels the need to impress the ladies with magic tricks or embellishments of the truth. He’s just wise and stable.

But as a lot of you act like 16-year-old girls towards gear and software you probably wouldn’t be happy with that.

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:17 pm

beats me wrote:like the 40-year-old who no longer feels the need to impress the ladies with magic tricks or embellishments of the truth. He’s just wise and stable.
Or having a mid-life crisis and hiding ;)
Nothing to see here - move along!

cabletone

Post by cabletone » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:20 pm

I think it's normal to get a little uncomfortable after expecting something for such a long time.

And for moderately obsessive people like me it is like torture.

Live 8 release apr 2 2009. Thats over 2 years, not even a beta yet!

I thought maybe they would release around NAMM, but looks like thats not happening.

I'm glad they're being thorough, at least.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:29 pm

hey beats me, Apple has a new product that you don't own! :arrow:

if this was my forum and i read some of the crap on it about Live 9 and the leftovers about Live 8... i wouldn't be telling anyone about the software either. the amount of "it better have this/that feature or else" bullshit posts and the "...but DAW XYZ has feature LMNO and P" posts would infuriate me to the point of selling the company and walking away or worse, liquidating the assets and saying to hell with it 'let em try and activate it now...' and shutting down support.

maybe they're applying the philosophy if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.

hacktheplanet

Post by hacktheplanet » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:34 pm

Live 9 is still being developed, and things will most likely change dramatically between now and the official release. I'm sure they are reluctant to release information about an unfinished product, especially if it's not even what they plan to release.

Patience, young one.
Last edited by hacktheplanet on Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rcpunker

Post by rcpunker » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:43 pm

LIVE 9 SYSTEM REQUIREMENT:
OSX LION ONLY

Slightlydelic

Post by Slightlydelic » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:24 pm

i just hope their working on some some next level sh1t so ficking cool no one has even thought to put it on the live 9 wish list.

Warrior Bob

Post by Warrior Bob » Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:20 am

Do we really need a Live 9?

Most of the limitations I hear of with 8 are basically bugs. There aren't a lot of missing features. The big ones that I always hear about are
- Record automation to clip
- Bezier curves in automations
- 64-bit support

These would be nice but people have been asking for them since at least Live 5 IIRC. I don't think we'll see them in 9.

I'm actually pretty happy that Ableton isn't rushing to push new versions out the door. I think a few years between major releases is sensible now that it's matured as a DAW.

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:58 am

the_planet wrote:Live 9 is still being developed, and things will most likely change dramatically between now and the official release.
This is correct. Those in the know, know ;)

oddstep

Post by oddstep » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:05 am

Absolutely. Live 8 has only just emerged from the ruins of 8.2. If you want enhanced functionality.... get max for live and have a go at making it yourself.

shweta

Post by shweta » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:24 am

Hi,
"Secretism" refers to the active invocation of secrecy as a source of a group's identity, the promotion of the reputation of special access to restricted knowledge, and the successful performance or staging of such access.
Obviously live 9 emerges only after the successful completeion of live 8.2, definately it will contain some more extra features.

Tnx,
Shweta
Mumbai Residential Property