Think Ableton is really going bankrupt and out of biz?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
nathannn

Think Ableton is really going bankrupt and out of biz?

Post by nathannn » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:23 pm

maybe we will get some info ..it worked with my "think bitwig bla bla bla " post
The Push / Novation Launch Pad / Novation Launch Pad Pro / Novation Launch Key
/ Launch Control XL / Machine MkII / Machine Studio / BeatStep / Livid OhmRGB / Livid Code V2 / Apc 40 MKII

no computers or synths

20 Copies of Ableton Live Lite.

SnoopWess

Re: Think Ableton is really going bankrupt and out of biz?

Post by SnoopWess » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:33 pm

That's crazy! There's no way

toph

Post by toph » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:43 pm

:D Nice try and worth it, but you really don't expect more from it than the typical silence-defenders answers. ;)

C.

ark

Post by ark » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:47 pm

I doubt it: They are advertising a bunch of job openings.

drewbixcube

Post by drewbixcube » Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:28 am

I have recently started to wonder how much money they have in the coffers. They've gone a long time without an influx of upgrade dollars. Of course, we can postulate how many new users they get and how many live packs they manage to sell. However, statistics will show that for every X amount of legit users there are, there will be X(Y) amount of illegal users. The answer? Only Ableton's accountants know...

Bagle

Post by Bagle » Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:02 am

i wouldnt say they are short of cash, lotta upgrades, new users, m4l, all the hardware

a company like ableton would do alot of digital distribution, software development isnt as expensive as hardware id imagine
Anything at my disposal..
http://soundcloud.com/jagle

Pasha

Post by Pasha » Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:16 am

Bagle wrote:i wouldnt say they are short of cash, lotta upgrades, new users, m4l, all the hardware

a company like ableton would do alot of digital distribution, software development isnt as expensive as hardware id imagine
But you have to pay salaries anyway.
After Live 8 they broke the usual yearly release cycle so no fresh cash inflow.
I do not think that M4L sales were able to substitute that flow.
However I can concede that through OEM Hardware (MIDI controllers and Audio Interfaces)
which contain a Live License, Partner Instruments and other means they have differentiated
the Business as it should.
Sometimes I think we're all wrong. Live 9 could be an imaginary dream and they will continue with 8
for a long time. For me it's stable and it's stable for all the people subscribed or not to this forum
that do not report issues. The Ableton Community is larger than this forum members number.
The only thing I can say is I wish them longevity because they made the best product ever and I want to use it
10 years from now (maybe on an holographic pad...) :D

- My 2 cents
- Pasha
Mac Studio M1
Live 12 Suite,Zebra ,Valhalla Plugins, MIDI Guitar (2+3),Guitar, Bass, VG99, GP10, JV1010 and some controllers

Fanu

Post by Fanu » Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:25 am

No, I don't think they are.

But what they could do, in my honest opinion, is to answer the users' curious questions a bit.

IMO, the 64-bit update is among the most desired ones, seeing how the computers are getting more and more powerful all the time.
An application should "get on with the times", so to say.
I bet they have their hands full with the whole Lion thing atm, though.

oddstep

Post by oddstep » Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:52 pm

there's plenty of people posting on here saying "I've just bought an APC, how do I make music?", that says to me that people are still buying live 8 ... upgraders are only part of the income stream.

simpleton

Post by simpleton » Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:12 pm

I heard they got bought out by Nissan! 8O
The Leveller wrote:Wow, a weird shaped dead coral with sh!t stuck to it. Proof indeed of supernatural abilities.

bobland

Post by bobland » Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:42 pm

BERLIN, October 22, 2010 /PRNewswire/ -- Ableton AG, one of the world's leading providers of music software, announced its ranking in the Deloitte Technology Fast 50, a listing of the fastest growing technology companies in Germany. Ranking in the listing is based on a company's aggregate percentage revenue growth calculated over the last five years, from 2005 to 2010. Ableton AG was able to tally a growth rate of over 185 percent during the period.

This makes Ableton one of the fastest growing and most innovative companies in Germany. Since its founding in 1999, Ableton has been developing and marketing modern music software for musicians, bands, film score composers and theatre sound systems. The company's flagship product, Ableton Live, has made Ableton one of the leaders in the music industry and has been distinguished with a number of coveted industry-wide awards.

"We are proud to be one of the fastest growing and most innovative technology companies in Germany," said Jan Bohl, CFO at Ableton. "We have managed to form a solid commercial framework with the development and marketing of music software over the last several years and we have a fast-growing customer base in the international music business."

About Ableton

Ableton is a corporation whose core product, Ableton Live, has become a key platform for computer-based music creation, production and performance. Ableton markets its products worldwide, and its rapidly growing user base stands at approximately 1 million users as of today. In 2009, Ableton generated revenues of EUR 13.8 million. Ninety percent of the generated revenue was achieved abroad in fiscal year 2009. Ableton employs 114 people in its Berlin and New York offices and plans to add 20 more employees this year, primarily in development."

About Deloitte Germany

Deloitte is one of Germany's leading auditing and consulting companies. Its wide range of services includes auditing, tax consultation and business and corporate finance consulting. With 3,400 employees in 18 branch offices, Deloitte has been managing a client list with companies and institutions of all legal forms and sizes and from every possible industry for nearly 100 years.

Contact

Ralf Kleinermanns
T: +49(0)211/23921684
ralf.kleinermanns@ableton.com
http://www.ableton.com

xzusa8ky

Post by xzusa8ky » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:37 pm

bobland wrote:BERLIN, October 22, 2010 /PRNewswire/ -- Ableton AG, one of the world's leading providers of music software, announced its ranking in the Deloitte Technology Fast 50, a listing of the fastest growing technology companies in Germany. Ranking in the listing is based on a company's aggregate percentage revenue growth calculated over the last five years, from 2005 to 2010. Ableton AG was able to tally a growth rate of over 185 percent during the period.

This makes Ableton one of the fastest growing and most innovative companies in Germany. Since its founding in 1999, Ableton has been developing and marketing modern music software for musicians, bands, film score composers and theatre sound systems. The company's flagship product, Ableton Live, has made Ableton one of the leaders in the music industry and has been distinguished with a number of coveted industry-wide awards.

"We are proud to be one of the fastest growing and most innovative technology companies in Germany," said Jan Bohl, CFO at Ableton. "We have managed to form a solid commercial framework with the development and marketing of music software over the last several years and we have a fast-growing customer base in the international music business."

About Ableton

Ableton is a corporation whose core product, Ableton Live, has become a key platform for computer-based music creation, production and performance. Ableton markets its products worldwide, and its rapidly growing user base stands at approximately 1 million users as of today. In 2009, Ableton generated revenues of EUR 13.8 million. Ninety percent of the generated revenue was achieved abroad in fiscal year 2009. Ableton employs 114 people in its Berlin and New York offices and plans to add 20 more employees this year, primarily in development."

About Deloitte Germany

Deloitte is one of Germany's leading auditing and consulting companies. Its wide range of services includes auditing, tax consultation and business and corporate finance consulting. With 3,400 employees in 18 branch offices, Deloitte has been managing a client list with companies and institutions of all legal forms and sizes and from every possible industry for nearly 100 years.

Contact

Ralf Kleinermanns
T: +49(0)211/23921684
ralf.kleinermanns@ableton.com
http://www.ableton.com

Even the strongest growing company will go bankrupt if they cant keep up with the buyers wishes. I dont hope that Ableton are dying but it seems that they are having heavy troubles if you ask me. They aint answering the qustions from the community about why they aint are able to release a stabil piece of software? The policy that the users have to pay for a product that aint working without a lot of problems is not okay! It is more than a year ago that Ableton did react on the never ending Bug story. They did promise to change that but not much have changed? Live is lacking so many features that users have been asking for so many YEARS!? and still no progress. They are using resources on Max instead of realeasing a stabil DAW? ......and the last rumours says that the old staff did leave Ableton? and are now bringing a new DAW themself on the market!? this is surely a reaction of the policy that Ableton represents. For me it is more than time for Ableton to wake up.......
Bitwig/1.0.5 - Ableton/Live 8 - Apple/MacPro-2.8Ghz-8Core-RAID - Samsung/SM-P2770H 27" - Yamaha/HS80M/HS10W - Behringer/BCR/BCF - Allen & Heath/Xone:3D - Sennheiser/HD25-13 - Native Instruments/Komplete9/Traktor Pro

toph

Post by toph » Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:03 pm

Hey xzusa8ky,

I'm with you that this press release from October 2010 doesn't indicate anything how the financial situation of Ableton is. That's nine month ago and salaries do eat much money every month. And thinking of all the stability problems that Live 8 had and still seems to have for some users, I'm not sure if Ableton gets enough new users every month at the moment. By reading this news from 2010 one also shouldn't ignore, that the amounts it refers to were generated in 2009, what was when Live 8 was released and they may have sold many upgrades and new licenses, what will happen any time a new version is released.

But if you should mean the Bitwig-thing by writing from old staff leaving: That was only one or two if I remember right and that was back in early 2009 - so that shouldn't stay in any context.

My guess is that they don't want to get into a similar situation like the one after releasing Live 8. More development and fixing time maybe the one reason for the silence, another could be that they changed the way the handle beta-testing and won't do that public beta testing again.

I'm very sure we'll see Live 9 sooner or later and really don't think that they'll go our of business. - And: I don't think that the OP really thinks they would. ;)

C.

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:09 pm

This belongs in the Lounge.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:45 pm

This belongs in the toilet.
nathannnnnnn - how many concussions have you had in your life? you're one weird dude.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz