How do I clear Live out of memory after a crash?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
agent314

How do I clear Live out of memory after a crash?

Post by agent314 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:07 am

So recently Live's been crashing a lot on me, frequently hanging at startup and forcing me to quit out.

Tbe crashing in itself, not a huge deal - annoying, but manageable. The problem is, Live8.2.2.exe stays resident in memory, so that when I try to restart the program after a crash, nothing happens when I click the executable.

End Process in Task Manager doesn't do anything, PSKill won't touch it, and my only other option is to restart my computer entirely, and even then sometimes it just hangs again at load and forces me to restart yet again.

So my question is:

How do I clear the Live executable out of memory after a crash so I can start it up again without restarting my computer?

Running Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium, i7-860 2.8GHz, 8GB

dokx

Re: How do I clear Live out of memory after a crash?

Post by dokx » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:20 am

If you have an external sound card/audio interface: Turn it off and wait the process to end.

Really annoying problem indeed.

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:02 am

I normally use the task manager to kill it.
I've seen this happen with certain audio interfaces - which one do you have?
Nothing to see here - move along!

dokx

Post by dokx » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:16 am

Khazul wrote:I normally use the task manager to kill it.
I've seen this happen with certain audio interfaces - which one do you have?
I have the same problem every time Live crashes (Win7 64 bit, FastTrack Pro USB audio interface).

I tried different 3rd party task managers (Process Explorer etc.) - killing the process does not work when I have the FTP activated.

The process only disappears if I switch off my Fast Track Pro (and besides that I have to wait around 2 or 3 minutes before the process disappears, really really annoying for my work flow).

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:40 am

Does the FTP have its own process? If so, you might need to kill that first. I used to have this problem with yamaha mlan drivers. I also remember at the time that I didnt have to do this with Cubase 4 when it crashed - Im guessing Live needed some improvement to its abort cleanup handling - though this was with 7.x. Audio interfaces Ive had since then (NI and RME) dont seem to hang when it crashes.

BTW - dont use the applications page end task, instead go to the processes page and select "end process tree" on the "Live 8.2.2.exe *32".

Worth both of you submitted a bug report about this and pointing to this thread ass well as I suspect something does still need fixing in Live 8.

dokx

Post by dokx » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:09 pm

Khazul wrote:
BTW - dont use the applications page end task, instead go to the processes page and select "end process tree" on the "Live 8.2.2.exe *32".
Tried that - doesn't work neither.
Worth both of you submitted a bug report about this and pointing to this thread ass well as I suspect something does still need fixing in Live 8.
This should have been already reported, because I read about that problem some time ago (in this forum).

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:05 pm

Try unplug a midi controller if you have one. I have an evolution mk461c keyboard and it constantly causes software to stay in memory. Not just Ableton but cubase, nuendo, midi translator etc. When I switch it off the process quits. Pain but it's done that for the last 8 years.

The Coil

Post by The Coil » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:22 pm

Yes! This is probably at the top of my list of most hated bugs. It's bad enough that Live crashes all the time, but then it hangs around like an unwanted houseguest for about five minutes before it disappears.
I've tried everything, ending the process tree, ending every other process the computer is running, nothing works.
Also, if Live crashes, as it loves to do, unless you let the process end on it's own, you won't get the "Live quit unexpectedly, would you like to recover your work" message, so anything you were working on when it crashed is gone.
Therefore, you have to wait the 5 minutes, stewing, creative juices draining away.
It may not seem like a big deal but for anyone that has to deal with this repeatedly, all day, it's the worst when you're trying to compose.
I, for one, would be ecstatic if they fixed this.

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:43 pm

dokx wrote:
Khazul wrote:
Tried that - doesn't work neither.
This should have been already reported, because I read about that problem some time ago (in this forum).
True - but if its prioritised based on number of reports? ...

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:44 pm

The Coil wrote:It may not seem like a big deal but for anyone that has to deal with this repeatedly, all day, it's the worst when you're trying to compose.
I, for one, would be ecstatic if they fixed this.
Oh I agree - stuff like this is a huge pain after a crash - even more so when you have folks in the studio and the whole creative flow thing gets trashed...

habeeb24

Post by habeeb24 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:54 pm

This is the problem in this. Just turn external sound card/audio interface on and wait to the process to end.

Mr-Bit

Post by Mr-Bit » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:32 pm

I'm Running W764 and sometimes win amp, fire fox, live and possibly others just will not start even when there has been no crash turning off and on any of my usb devices sorts it out. For me it seems like a windoze usb bug.It's the same when trying to kill a crashed live process it will only die if I unplug or swich of a usb device.

I'm using a d-link usb hub btw.

agent314

Post by agent314 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:57 pm

Tried unplugging/replugging all USBs (interface, MPK49, APC40, Launchpad, Control Pad). A couple of times unplugging the MIDI did it, but now that isn't working.

Interface is a Cakewalk UA25EX. Great little device, except for this fact.

Tried killing from the processes page, tried killing it with standalone utilities, basically end up just having to restart or wait 5-30 minutes.

I've submitted probably a dozen crash reports from crashes related to this or similar bugs. So if it IS numerically prioritized, I'm doing my part to help. :D

Still super annoying though. Crashes are one thing, but to have to restart or wait 15 minutes to even be able to open Live again is just so friggin' frustrating.

Fizmarble

Post by Fizmarble » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:02 pm

Same exact issue here with Fast Track Pro Ultra USB. Crash live means full reboot, sometimes over 5 minutes, but what seems like 20 with everyone staring. I would like to know what process is hanging Live up, so I can murder it and get back to the music.

Breaks Dude

Post by Breaks Dude » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:18 am

Same issue here and annoying as hell.