Is there any interest in movie support in Live?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

Add Video? Stick to Audio?

Add a v simple video player for soundtrack sync in arrange view
40%
Introduce a full VJ extravaganza of functionality to Live (i.e. add video as a clip type, plus dedicated FX etc)
7%
No, keep Live as it is - audio only
53%

Total votes: 72

anonymouse

Is there any interest in movie support in Live?

Post by anonymouse » Sun Jun 19, 2005 7:15 pm

I'm not interested in seeing video support in Live, but perhaps some users are?

My preference is that the developers keep their focus on audio and don't dilute Live by going off on a tangent by trying to become a VJ tool also.

j

Post by j » Sun Jun 19, 2005 7:28 pm

I don't know how to vote....anyways I'd be into a plug in, sold separately, like operator, because I'm interested in syncing up my visuals with my sounds.

I'll probably end up buying something for this at some point and would be into purchasing an Abe design...love their designs.

However, I would not want to take away from the development of Live in any way so....only if it made sense in that respect.

j
-----------------------------------------------------------
[pbook (1.33ghz) OS 10.4.1 • Edirol FA-101
FCB1010 • 2midikeyboards • cheap guitarz •SM57]
-----------------------------------------------------------

Sales Dude McBoob

Post by Sales Dude McBoob » Sun Jun 19, 2005 7:48 pm

I know how to vote, I just don't see the poll deal here on this screen for some reason.

Therefore I think the Abes should halt all further work on audio and video and iron out the little bugs in the forum so democracy can reign. :wink:

But seriously, I would dig video support, in as far as you can create sound design and mix-to-picture type stuff. Yeah, I can do this in Pro Tools, but it'd be nice to never have to go near PT and just use Live for everything.

amo

Post by amo » Sun Jun 19, 2005 10:24 pm

a very simple video-player-like window playing in sync with the timeline would be usefull.... not at the sacrifice of anything else though.
Live 5.0.3 - IBM Thinkpad R51 1.5ghz Centrino - 1,5 Go RAM - 7200 RPM 2nd HDD intern - RME Multiface - Windows XP Pro SP2

mosca

Post by mosca » Sun Jun 19, 2005 10:29 pm

nope

mosca

inis

Post by inis » Sun Jun 19, 2005 10:32 pm

I wouldnt mind seeing a totally new program from ableton that is used specifically for video. Something that could easily be synced to live in many different ways.

audiojet

Post by audiojet » Sun Jun 19, 2005 10:32 pm

Again, I don't understand why anyone would be fully against video support in Live. People can express their opinion and say they wouldn't make use of it, but the argument that adding a video sync feature will ruin the program or take it in the wrong direction is ridiculous. It's a option that doesn't have to be used if the user doen't need it. There are ways it can be done that won't interfere with users who just want straight audio features. It's as silly as me saying I don't want any "compressor" plugins featured in Live because it will ruin the program and I will never use it. I think eventually Ableton will have to think about this to stay competitive but until then composers will have to use other sync ideas or other programs all togther.

* For PC composers who are looking for a way to sync video to Live without losing the ability to use VST plugins and Instrument in Live...

Go here...

http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic. ... ight=video

amo

Post by amo » Mon Jun 20, 2005 2:59 pm

bump!
Live 5.0.3 - IBM Thinkpad R51 1.5ghz Centrino - 1,5 Go RAM - 7200 RPM 2nd HDD intern - RME Multiface - Windows XP Pro SP2

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Mon Jun 20, 2005 3:10 pm

Arkaos VJ 3.5 is the Live 5 of the VJ world.

mcconaghy

Post by mcconaghy » Mon Jun 20, 2005 3:32 pm

I'd rather have the abletonians concentrate on making Live the ultimate audio tool rather than putting aside resources for video. I'm not against video support, but since there's still things people want on the audio side of things, I think that should take precendence.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Mon Jun 20, 2005 3:49 pm

I've said this before.
Why waste resources on developing something thats almost entirely built in the OS.
It is so with Osx tiger. It's only a matter of time till somebody releases a free or cheap app that uses all the video mangling stuff added to Tiger.

I know somebody is going to bring up "but what about us pc users?"
Well, if ableton would waste time on something like video support for both platforms. And an app comes out for Tiger that uses All the core video stuff.
People would have an app that is 50% useless.
And it's 50% useless for people who don't want video anyway.

Kinda beats the purpose of having an app where you can control anything.

I wouldn't be opposed to Ableton hiring some people and make a seperate video app.
But i don't want to see an audio app that is cluttered with useless stuff.

Just my 0.02€

freshdrumma

Post by freshdrumma » Mon Jun 20, 2005 4:14 pm

yes it's absolutely important for soundtracks, and tv commercials

mikemc

Post by mikemc » Mon Jun 20, 2005 4:16 pm

hoffman2k wrote: I wouldn't be opposed to Ableton hiring some people and make a seperate video app.
But i don't want to see an audio app that is cluttered with useless stuff.
I agree with this, and at the same time would really like to use something 3rd party to sync video with (like a VST) that dovetails well with Live.

Which makes me think this: rather than Ableton hiring people to do this, they should consult or somehow provide a means for 3rd party vendors who would like to integrate better with Live-- to license them the look and feel and provide a "Live stamp of approval" for the app in question, in return for preferred placement for bundling-- similar to the overlays for hardware.
UTENZIL a tool... of the muse.

amo

Post by amo » Mon Jun 20, 2005 4:19 pm

I agree with this, and at the same time would really like to use something 3rd party to sync video with (like a VST) that dovetails well with Live.
very good suggestion I think !

jbratteson

One more vote for VIDEO

Post by jbratteson » Mon Jun 20, 2005 5:03 pm

My video needs are simple. Just a little video playback window that stays in sync with a timeline. You know, so you can compose music to a moving picture. In the meantime there's always DP4.

I agree that this should not hamper development of Live5 (not that it was). But would be great to see in maybe Live 5.1. Or as an add on plug like Operator (if they want to charge for it but realize that not everone may want this).

anyway that's my 2¢.