RIP Plastic MacBook

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
beats me

Re: RIP Plastic MacBook

Post by beats me » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:16 am

Good as any other place to put this I suppose....

So I get my iMac. I use superduper to clone my MBP drive to an external drive and then from that drive to my iMac. It mostly works great.

Then I get to my music apps.

I fire up Live and it tells me to authorize it. Fine. I enter my serial number in Ableton's authorization page but then I get a red warning saying it's already registered to an account. No shit, my account...the one I logged into the site with.

Email off to support.

:x

Next I go to the NI apps. Tells me I need to authorize them. Fine. I open up the Service Center app and the menu bar shows Service Center but a window never actually appears. I download the latest version but when I go to install it, it says a newer version is already installed on my computer and it quits.

Email off to support.

I fire up Logic and it asks me to put in the serial number which I have to dig out of a box...and then it will most likely also ask me to enter the serial number from the version I upgraded from which is even deeper in another box.

And this is just the heavy hitters in my music arsenal. I can't wait until I get to the countless individual plugs I have from smaller developers.

It's not just working. It's not.

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:38 am

Some plugs you will have to re-install completely - 2c audio stuff if you have any of them.

Must admit - I absolutely dread the thought of setting up a new machine now - so much shit to re-install/re-authorise etc - kind of makes you appreciate iLok etc, though having 3 or 4 dongle plugged in all the time is a bit of a pain - grr!
Nothing to see here - move along!

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:07 pm

As predicted with Logic I had to enter the serial number for both the current version and the version I upgraded from, but finding the boxes was easier than I thought. Thank you spring closet cleaning project 2010.

Omnisphere and Trillian were fairly painless too. The first time you open an instance it gives you a code you need to copy and paste into Spectrasonic’s authorization page and then it gives you a code to copy and paste back into the plug-ins. Done.

I still don’t know WTF is going on with the NI Service Center. I even deleted it off my drive and then installed the file from their site but still nothing comes up.

PRO TIP: If you have a lot of NI software you’ve installed over the years do a search on your drive for Service Center. You’ll find a ton of files you can just toss including multiple Service Centers, multiple install files for Service Center for every piece of NI software you installed, and tons of manuals in 3 or 4 languages.

Hidden Driveways

Post by Hidden Driveways » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:43 pm

beats me wrote:Good as any other place to put this I suppose....
Thanks for recognizing my thread as a general Apple discussion thread in the vein of the great iPad (1) thread. The dead plastic MacBook thanks you, and Spring Cleaning Project 2010 says you're welcome.

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:00 pm

Hidden Driveways wrote:
beats me wrote:Good as any other place to put this I suppose....
Thanks for recognizing my thread as a general Apple discussion thread in the vein of the great iPad (1) thread. The dead plastic MacBook thanks you, and Spring Cleaning Project 2010 says you're welcome.
Well this thread already got parlayed into a discussion on other Macs you can get now that the plastic Macbook is dead. The purity of your thread is long gone and the plastic Macbook would want us to move on. And at least I didn’t start yet another new Apple thread.

And really, hitting on the surviving family members at the funeral of the recently deceased is always good form.

abletoff

Post by abletoff » Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:01 pm

My new i7 Air is a true dream. Lion seems awesome too, till now. But the sheer power, the lightness and everything, awesome. Sorry for the white Mb though :)
Live 9 Suite, audio trackles (several audio tracks that crackle)

starving student

Post by starving student » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:24 pm

abletoff wrote:My new i7 Air is a true dream. Lion seems awesome too, till now. But the sheer power, the lightness and everything, awesome. Sorry for the white Mb though :)

speak on it ..... what music apps you running on it and how are they running?