Chopping Sample to Drum Rack Help

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Check1-2

Chopping Sample to Drum Rack Help

Post by Check1-2 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:14 pm

Hey guys, I just got Ableton about a week ago and already this forum has been invaluable to me. Awesome community here, so let me start by saying hello, as well as, Thank you!

If this question is an annoying one please don't let it give you a bad impression of me. :D I'm going to be reading the manual front to back (edit: Holy shit, 535 pages... 8O ) as well as going through the majority of the "Tips and Tricks" sticky at the top of the forum but this is a likely easy answer that I haven't found on google and haven't figured out on my own from the limited knowledge I've attained so far and am hoping to be able to find out quickly (as in before reading the whole manual).

Basically, I have a bunch of famous drum breaks in .wav files. Last night for fun I went in and dragged the loop into 5 different channels then went into each channel and hit the "Crop Sample" button so that each track was a different part of the kit so I could rearrange the beat. I'm sure that's extremely far from the most efficient way but I knew it would work and I wanted to mess around and familiarize myself a bit. Did some tweaking and it actually turned out sounding pretty great!

However, this seems to be taking up a lot of computer space when I run the track. Is there an easy way that I can take these cropped sections of the sample and throw them into a custom drum rack and trigger them/program them in like a drum machine? Or is there an even better way to accomplish what I'm after?

Hope this wasn't TOO stupid of a question. Just something I'm hoping to find a quick answer to and couldn't word effectively to get any good search results! Thanks!

Check1-2

Re: Chopping Sample to Drum Rack Help

Post by Check1-2 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:38 pm

Thanks very much for the response. However, when I right click on the clip when in Session View, I don't see the option of "Slice to Midi" or Slice whatsoever for that matter. Rename, Edit Info, Deactivate Clip, Freeze... All those. No Slice to Midi.

When I right click in Arrangement View I see Edit Info, Show In Browser, Freeze and then grid options.

I'm sure this is easy I just can't find it. This would be super helpful too because I just got a bunch of the Vengeance sample cd's and this is exactly what I'm going to need to do with all of those before i can really start using it.

Thanks for putting up with my learning disability... :lol:

jorelpri

Post by jorelpri » Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:36 am

make sure the track is warped.

Check1-2

Post by Check1-2 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:57 pm

Man I've got a lot to learn... :mrgreen: Oh well, that makes it exciting. I'm used to playing actual instruments, those are a bit more intuitive for me. This is a whole new world!

Thanks guys.

Check1-2

Post by Check1-2 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:49 am

I was actually so thanks for that video, that helped to clear it up a bit.

I'm hoping that once I Slice to Midi I'll be able to drag other sound clips into that same drum machine looking rack. My other goal is to take multiple .wav files and have them all located in that drum rack so that I can play them all from the same location, but originally I was asking about chopping up the clip in the manner shown in that video.

I'm assuming I can just drag a kick, a snare, etc. all into that drum machine, whatever it's called, and it'll be as simple as that. Just have to get some spare time to get in and check it out now. Hopefully I won't have anymore problems with that. Thank ya.

Check1-2

Post by Check1-2 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:10 pm

Sick. I'm loving this.

Cezband

Post by Cezband » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:34 pm

Yep, hours of fun with just that one function alone. Especially when you start writing your own melodies, bouncing them to audio and slicing those to a drum rack.
Live 7.0.18 | Axiom 61 | Launchpad | Homous | Nanokontrol | Saffire 6 | Ibanez Jazzmaster Bass | Biscuits
Soundcloud (solo stuff) | One Gear Go (my band)

darkenedsoul

Post by darkenedsoul » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:38 pm

Wow, I totally forgot about doing slice to midi. I should do that with some of the orchestral samples I have. Woot! Time to dig the manual out, load up my DAW and poke around with it and show my buddy so he goes WOWZa haha. He is so not into using software that I am trying to teach him a little about doing stuff like this. BUT he programs all piano and drums via a Boss DR5, now that's hardcore for a neoclassical doom/death metal band hehe. But we learn it to play live and record via how he wrote it.
http://www.darkenedsoul.net - main website
Ableton Live 8.x/9.x : NI Komplete 8 : Home built 4690K 16GB 500GB SSD, 1TB 7200, 2x2TB.