Audio Interface, Monitors and an APC40; how to set up?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
rkramer4

Audio Interface, Monitors and an APC40; how to set up?

Post by rkramer4 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:31 pm

Hey y'all,

I'm planning on buying an audio interface and a pair of monitors, two items I've never owned or set up before. These are the ones I'm looking at (the EIE will be a Pro when it hits in August)

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Akai-Profes ... 1826039.gc#
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audi ... nitor-each

I currently have an APC40 and was wondering how I would go about setting these three items up? I've never done anything like this before so please be as thorough as you want, all the info will be new to me. Thanks.

Damon_Chambers

Re: Audio Interface, Monitors and an APC40; how to set up?

Post by Damon_Chambers » Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:08 pm

audio interface will either be firewire or usb. just plug it in with proper install method with instructions. your audio interface should have main outs, left and right. plug up the monitors to those with the proper cables. apc40 is just usb to your computer.

ta-da! done.

also whatever monitors you get should have some sort of insert or instructions with proper speaker placement. thats pretty important so make sure you put them where they should be in relation to where you sit.

and i just bought a pair of the rokit 8s for my dj setup. they seem to have a pretty accurate sound compared to my other monitors. ive read they can be a touch bass heavy but i like them for what i use them for.

SnoopWess

Post by SnoopWess » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:29 pm

For Audio Interface:
-Buy TRS cable
- Buy RCA to headphone(male head) cord
- Buy headphone coupler (2 female heads)

- Plug TRS cable into TRS outputs 1&2 on interface. Plug the other end of the TRS cord into your
monitors
-Plug RCA cable into RCA outputs 3&4 on interface. Use the coupler to connect your headphones to this
cable. (This will allow you to cue your mixes).

-Install interface drivers
- connect USB/ FireWire cord from interface to computer. **do not connect to a USB hub**
- In Ableton, under preferences, in audio, make sure you sound is Running through your interface driver (probably ASIO).
- under input config, make sure inputs 1,2,3,4 are enabled. Do the same for output config.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need more help.

http://m.soundcloud.com/commoninterests

rkramer4

Post by rkramer4 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:08 pm

Thanks for the replies guys! Very helpful.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:04 am

I'd suggest having a look around on Tweakheads and GearSluts for answers on this kind of stuff.

My personal recommendation is to look at room treatment first. Dosn't have to be a massive amount and there are some great DIY projects for QRD and Skyline defusers if you have some time to spare.

Theres always someone that crops up and says "well thats just being technical and it's only if you want to be real pro etc etc...) but it is still amazing to me that the same person that says this will go out and buy an expensive pair of monitors, use top of the line cables then suggest you should also get a sub too if you want to produce music with bass.

Honestly, monitors are designed to be precision musical tools and to use them effectively they need to operate in the right environment or their performance will not be as you would expect. Then what you have is a nice expensive set of bookshelf speakers.

Please don't take my word for any of this, i'm just another screenname. Tweakheads is a great site for beginners as it has a lot of general non-technical information on these types of things. Just read, read, read and you will start getting the picture.