Using locators in arrangement view

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
dan98114

Using locators in arrangement view

Post by dan98114 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:05 pm

I use live to playback preprogrammed drum and keyboard parts whilst playing my guitar live through ableton.
I have made a live set in arrangement and am struggling with certain aspects of locators.
Is it possible to set locators so that they stop playback when they are reached and so that when playback is triggered again its jumps to the next locator. There are sections of songs where there is only my guitar playing and I want avoid having to listen to a click track during these breaks.
Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks

invol

Re: Using locators in arrangement view

Post by invol » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:14 am

No, you cannot set them as stop points, though you can use the Context Menu to Loop to Next Locator. They are launchable too and follow the Global Quantization value. Try Key or MIDI mapping to them.

Hope that helps.

UnCL0NED

Re: Using locators in arrangement view

Post by UnCL0NED » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:23 am

This is why the invented the Session view!

Cut your song up at the locators > select all in the arrangement view > paste it in the Session view. Your song is now the same as in the arrangement view, but only vertically aligned.

You can now midi-map your different scenes and trigger the part with your midi controller you want it to start. You can also put follow actions on the different clips so that when you don't do anything it will just continue playing the rest of the song. Or you can put a stop commando at the end of a clip so that it stops there (which is what I think you wanted) Or you can loop certain scenes x times... You could add blank clips at certain places in the song (or at the end) which you can trigger if you don't want anything playing... or do whatever you want.

Before you know it you'll be Beat Juggling your own songs and fill the gaps in with your guitar and play other synths at the same time while singing. This is at least how I use Live on stage! What is a band, anyhow? :roll:

Isn't Live great?! 8)
soundcloud
"everything you read on the internet is true!"