Logic techniques questions

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
beats me

Logic techniques questions

Post by beats me » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:08 am

These are starting to pile up here and I'm getting :x and I've RTFPDF, googled, and even tried to browse video tutorials (in most cases), And I know this is a Live forum and that's the DAW I'm coming from and I thought you fine people might be able to help because you either share my frustrations in trying to translate techniques in Live into Logic or you started on Logic and came to Live.

So I'll just keep my Logic questions to this thread.

1. I have a MIDI track that is a Reaktor auto generative track. So no actual MIDI notes, it just makes sound when I hit play. I want to record that track to an audio track but for the life of me can't figure out how to rout that track to an audio track to record.

Thanks for helping me on this and other questions I'll post in this thread.

eddiex

Re: Logic techniques questions

Post by eddiex » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:08 am

i just tried it, it took me a couple of minutes to figure out too i haven't messed with logic in so long....open a midi track with the reaktor on it...click on the "send" button.....it should bring up a drop down menu....click on "bus"......send it to "bus 1"......turn volume of "send" up to 0db....now add an "audio track" when the "new track" menu comes down....set the "input" to "bus 1"...you should be able to record the midi track to the audio track at that point.
you uh were talking about in logic right? :) "
in live it is pretty much the same deal..... on the i/o of your midi track set "audio to" whatever "audio track" you want to record to. arm both tracks....and record the clip, only in the audio track as you play.
cloud>https://soundcloud.com/eddiexdarko
i love you,please don't die.

dancing Ray

Post by dancing Ray » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:25 am

eddiex wrote:in live it is pretty much the same deal.....
Yeah, but without having to wait at that that bus stop. :)
Spiralgroove wrote:a little quantization never hurt nobody

UnCL0NED

Post by UnCL0NED » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:12 am

Route it to a bus as said before. In Live it's much faster and simpler than in Logic.
This is typically one of those reasons why I always start my songs in Live... It's much easier to keep the creative juices flowing in Live! Because after you recorded your sounds, you usually want to cut and paste and mangle it further, which is also much easier in Live. The only thing I do nowadays in Logic is the mixing itself.
soundcloud
"everything you read on the internet is true!"

33tetragammon

Post by 33tetragammon » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:19 am

instead of use the above mentioned 'send' method (which is fine as well), look here beats :

http://www.youtube.com/user/SFLogicNinj ... 5HTIUCAaek

courtesy of David Earl aka 'SFLogicNinja'.

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:46 pm

eddiex wrote:i just tried it, it took me a couple of minutes to figure out too i haven't messed with logic in so long....open a midi track with the reaktor on it...click on the "send" button.....it should bring up a drop down menu....click on "bus"......send it to "bus 1"......turn volume of "send" up to 0db....now add an "audio track" when the "new track" menu comes down....set the "input" to "bus 1"...you should be able to record the midi track to the audio track at that point.
in live it is pretty much the same deal..... on the i/o of your midi track set "audio to" whatever "audio track" you want to record to. arm both tracks....and record the clip, only in the audio track as you play.
That's the method I tried before but the problem is when I create the audio track with bus 1 as the source there's no record button available on that track. Where the R button should be there's nothing and I even chose "record enable" when creating the track. :x

And just to get it out of the way, Live is awesome but I'm kind of sick of it and want to work in a completely different environment. I seem to be more inspired in Logic at the moment and less prone to noodling along and stacking endlessly until all I get is a bunch of mush that goes nowhere.

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:04 pm

33tetragammon wrote:instead of use the above mentioned 'send' method (which is fine as well), look here beats :

Ok after viewing that I sorted my particular problem. I noticed my audio tracks didn't have a record button as mentioned above. As I wasn't recording any external audio I didn't think I needed to set up any kind of external input source, but I guess I was wrong. I went to preferences and changed the audio input source from none to built-in. This caused the R button to appear on the audio tracks and I was able to record.

You guys were still helpful though in that I was following the right procedure but didn't have the preferences set up properly. :)

More questions to come later. :x

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:20 pm

If you don't need to tweak things live, you could probably use the new Bounce in place function in Logic 9. Converts midi regions to audio files, either onto a new audio track, or an existing one. Much like dragging a frozen clip onto an audio track in Live.
Professional Shark Jumper.

eddiex

Post by eddiex » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:59 pm

beats me wrote:
eddiex wrote:i just tried it, it took me a couple of minutes to figure out too i haven't messed with logic in so long....open a midi track with the reaktor on it...click on the "send" button.....it should bring up a drop down menu....click on "bus"......send it to "bus 1"......turn volume of "send" up to 0db....now add an "audio track" when the "new track" menu comes down....set the "input" to "bus 1"...you should be able to record the midi track to the audio track at that point.
That's the method I tried before but the problem is when I create the audio track with bus 1 as the source there's no record button available on that track. Where the R button should be there's nothing and I even chose "record enable" when creating the track. :x

And just to get it out of the way, Live is awesome but I'm kind of sick of it and want to work in a completely different environment. I seem to be more inspired in Logic at the moment and less prone to noodling along and stacking endlessly until all I get is a bunch of mush that goes nowhere.
yeah i had the same problem with the record button not showing up.....keep in mind i was doing all of this sans soundcard...check your audio preferences and make sure they are set up right.....i am on a macbook...and no external soundcard at the time i was checking the issue out, logic isn't like live where it seems to automatically read the external soundcard, or lack thereof....and default to my mac's core audio....or what ever...i had to go into my audio preferences and set my input and output to built in input and built in output.....once i set that up....things were like buttah'.....but like i said it took me about a half an hour of messing around to get to that point.

eddiex

Post by eddiex » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:01 pm

beats me wrote:
33tetragammon wrote:instead of use the above mentioned 'send' method (which is fine as well), look here beats :

Ok after viewing that I sorted my particular problem. I noticed my audio tracks didn't have a record button as mentioned above. As I wasn't recording any external audio I didn't think I needed to set up any kind of external input source, but I guess I was wrong. I went to preferences and changed the audio input source from none to built-in. This caused the R button to appear on the audio tracks and I was able to record.

You guys were still helpful though in that I was following the right procedure but didn't have the preferences set up properly. :)

More questions to come later. :x
haha i am such a loser....i didn't even read the whole post to the point where you figured it out....stupid me face

beats me

Post by beats me » Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:59 am

Next issue. Under MIDI options separating MIDI events by note pitch is totally brilliant for drum tracks...if it actually worked. When I choose that it does create a new track for every individual note but if I hit mute on any of the tracks it mutes them all, same thing with solo. I can't seem to get them to work independently. :x