Native Kontrol APC

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
stjohn

Native Kontrol APC

Post by stjohn » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:23 pm

sup y'all
Any Native Kontrol users out there?
looks like a no brainer really, but i would love to hear other peoples thoughts/experience with the package etc...
Cheers
r

JuanSOLO

Re: Native Kontrol APC

Post by JuanSOLO » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:31 pm

I haven't tried it, but I have always gone to the page and watched the videos, and thought I was going to buy it, but never have. I am sure it works GREAT, but after noodling with remote scripts, and customizing my APC40 with M4L, it's hard to buy something from Native Kontrol because you are locked into that work flow. When it comes to multiple modes on an APC40, it gets confusing, therefore I want to design my own confusion rather than buy into someone elses, hence I am currently learing python scripting.

just my 2 cents.

I dont wanna sound like I am saying not to go NativeKontrol, that guy makes top notch stuff, and keeps shit up to date fer sure. On that note it is a no brainer.

stjohn

Post by stjohn » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:26 pm

cheers man. likewise, ive gone to that site multiple times and never hit 'buy' i think i will though one of these days. i dont really have the time to get too deep under the hood of the apc for now... maybe later!

AceLuby

Post by AceLuby » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:49 pm

Bought it, used it for a while, but have since scrapped it. It introduced pops and crackles while navigating on my system which makes it unusable in a live situation. I've since learned to live w/ what the APC has to offer out of the box.
levimoniz wrote:yes i'm a hypocrite and not intelligent

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:43 pm

Cant live without it.

Some good reasons:
1. Set fades to max out at zero db.
2. Get 8 sends for each track
3. Use triggers as a midi keyboard or drum pads.
4. Shift + Cue volume knob changes tempo.
5. Use 2 racks at the same time: Track Control + Device Control

pre55ure

Post by pre55ure » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:47 pm

I have the nativekontrol script for the launchpad and love it. Totally worth the money.

Manik

Post by Manik » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:08 pm

i really love the script i use it a lot!
it expands the possible setups with the apc and give you much more hand on control (bpm, rec quantize, copy past clips, transport, browse though sample's, load vst's and the list goos on).
the ability to lock a second control group is also genious! a feature that the stock apc should have had..

but the flipside is that it also expands the possibility to loose your self in all the options :roll:

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:37 pm

Manik wrote:
the ability to lock a second control group is also genious! a feature that the stock apc should have had..
So let me see if I understand this right. Can you make the Track control Knobs work as an extra set of device controls. For example, if I hit Track Selection 1, the device control knobs grab the 1st device, and the Track Control Knobs grab the second device, and this works the same across however many tracks via track selection?

I'm not just talking about locking the Track Control to 1 device, I am asking if you can tell it which device to grab according to what track is selected.

Manik wrote:but the flipside is that it also expands the possibility to loose your self in all the options :roll:
Right.

drchoc

Post by drchoc » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:18 pm

@JuanSOLO I had to check but unfortunately the track control to one device does behave as you may have hoped. So it either picks up the same automapped device as device control, but like you said you can be locked independently to a different device. You can also control different banks of the same device.

For a non player the chord mode is very handy, and once you have nailed the commands for navigation mode you can do the majority of actions in live without touching the mouse.

I dont think the scripts are complicated to use at all but they do take a little getting used to.

stjohn

Post by stjohn » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:34 pm

ze2be wrote:Cant live without it.

Some good reasons:
1. Set fades to max out at zero db.
2. Get 8 sends for each track
3. Use triggers as a midi keyboard or drum pads.
4. Shift + Cue volume knob changes tempo.
5. Use 2 racks at the same time: Track Control + Device Control

sounds fricking wickid man. 1st and 5th i didnt know about, gonna investigate but i pretty much have my intentions ready to go. using it like a midi keyboard/scale-preset tool i think will be really fun for me to get melodies on the fly. then beats and stepsequencing.. phoaarr

metastatik

Post by metastatik » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:00 am

We’d certainly be happy to have you on board, stjohn.

It’s great to hear that some of you are enjoying our presets. I can assure you that the points made in this thread as well as feature requests we’ve received are not falling on deaf ears. If you’d like to get a bit of a hint of what the future holds, check out ClyphX, which you can use in conjunction with any of our apC-CLx presets.
AceLuby wrote:Bought it, used it for a while, but have since scrapped it. It introduced pops and crackles while navigating on my system which makes it unusable in a live situation. I've since learned to live w/ what the APC has to offer out of the box.
I’m very sorry to hear that you’re no longer using the preset. However, the initial troubleshooting you did with me pointed at the problem being caused by the MackieControl control surface script and not our presets or MT Player:
http://beatwise.proboards.com/index.cgi ... thread=364

As I mentioned there, I’ve never come across the issue you were having and that is still true. In any case, I’d be more than happy to continue troubleshooting this with you if/when you’re ready.

On a related note, our latest presets no longer use the MackieControl control surface. This is not because of any problems with the MackieControl control surface, it’s due to the development of custom scripts that replace the need for the MackieControl control surface.

rishi

Post by rishi » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:35 am

I can vouch for the APC40 and ClyphX presets. Completely revolutionises the controller and would not be without it. Rock solid reiability, great customer service and amazing possibilites.

esky

Post by esky » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:45 am

I use the apc-cl1 script, most of the time in navigation mode. It's great...!

AceLuby

Post by AceLuby » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:08 pm

metastatik wrote:We’d certainly be happy to have you on board, stjohn.

It’s great to hear that some of you are enjoying our presets. I can assure you that the points made in this thread as well as feature requests we’ve received are not falling on deaf ears. If you’d like to get a bit of a hint of what the future holds, check out ClyphX, which you can use in conjunction with any of our apC-CLx presets.
AceLuby wrote:Bought it, used it for a while, but have since scrapped it. It introduced pops and crackles while navigating on my system which makes it unusable in a live situation. I've since learned to live w/ what the APC has to offer out of the box.
I’m very sorry to hear that you’re no longer using the preset. However, the initial troubleshooting you did with me pointed at the problem being caused by the MackieControl control surface script and not our presets or MT Player:
http://beatwise.proboards.com/index.cgi ... thread=364

As I mentioned there, I’ve never come across the issue you were having and that is still true. In any case, I’d be more than happy to continue troubleshooting this with you if/when you’re ready.

On a related note, our latest presets no longer use the MackieControl control surface. This is not because of any problems with the MackieControl control surface, it’s due to the development of custom scripts that replace the need for the MackieControl control surface.
I'd be up to giving it another go. Do you have a better mechanism for delivery? I think when I got it initially everything was still via email and updates needed to happen w/in a certain timeframe.
levimoniz wrote:yes i'm a hypocrite and not intelligent

drchoc

Post by drchoc » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:15 pm

Wow controlling Operator with 2 sets of bankable encoders has really opened it up for me :lol:

I did not realise that was possible before this thread.