MK2 + Ableton Love + Automap - I know.. I know.. please help

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
pmgpriebe

MK2 + Ableton Love + Automap - I know.. I know.. please help

Post by pmgpriebe » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:34 pm

I have searched for 4 days now and about to just return all these products and take them out of my store. After watching alot of videos I decided to change my setup to the dual launchpad and mk2.

Nobody seems to be able to answer this question..

http://www.ableton.com/answers/required ... on-sl-mkii

If its that obvious will someone please point me in the right direction? What that guy in that link is experiencing is my same problem!!!

I don't even have the "Automap Midi" option in my preferences. This is exactly what mine says..

Input: 2- SL MkII

Input: Automap Propellerhead

Input: RemoteSL Input (MIDIIN2 (SL MkII))

Output: Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth

Output: Automap Propellerhead

Output: 2- SL MkII

Output: RemoteSL Output (MIDIOUT2 (SL MkII)

I have updated the firmware.. deleted abletons pref to start over... tried countless configurations.. re-installed the software.. and it just won't automap like the guide says. I can get the faders to work with it, but the record, stop, loop.. none of that will automap. The only thing that seems to is the faders and the buttons below it to silence that channel.

I just don't get it and I don't understand why there isn't a clear example of how to set these configurations as it seems a hundred other people are having the same problem with no answers!

Please help guys.. I have tried everything and just can't seem to get it to work.. Took me 4 days before I'm finally giving up and asking for help.

Thanks in advance!

yur2die4

Re: MK2 + Ableton Love + Automap - I know.. I know.. please help

Post by yur2die4 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:23 am

Do you make sure that the Automap software is open before you open Ableton Live? I don't have mine open right now but there may be some in/out prefs to set in the Automap software. Lastly, make sure you have a User preset or something.

I think there is an option for which outputs it makes available if I'm not mistaken. I'll have to open mine up now :)

Edit: settings>midi output port. Check to see if you have Automap MIDI checked.
Edit II: Also, when using the transport buttons on the mkii, make sure you turn them on by hitting the transport button in the center (above the dial). Conveniently, you can also push it off and on when you switch to Automap mode :). Personally, I seem to have the most enjoyable experience using the non-Automap Ableton preset template built into the controller. (especially with the LP!)

Good luck :)

pmgpriebe

Post by pmgpriebe » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:27 am

yur2die4 wrote:Edit: settings>midi output port. Check to see if you have Automap MIDI checked.
Yes.. Midi Output Port and Midi Input Port are both checked as "Automap Midi"... Enable Pot Pickup and Auto Focus are the only other things checked in the the Automap Settings

yur2die4 wrote:Lastly, make sure you have a User preset or something.
What do you mean by that?.. I don't know where that would be.. =/ Are you talking about a template for the mk2?

What I got now is that it just sits there and says "Please select a Device to edit it... " Actually when I clicked that Transport it seems to make it where I can use those buttons.. if not it records I guess.. I think it might be doing it now.. It isn't working with the automap button on though.. is that light suppose to be on when its running thru automap? Because when I turn that light on.. the knobs all light up with CC# in front of everything and nothing seems to work with abelton live except the transport buttons -stop, forward/rew and play..

Also with the automap button on.. i push the speed dieal and turn it.. is there anything in particular it should be on? Like for instance : Preset 1 or Preset whatever number I should say..

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:36 am

There are two different modes. One works as control surface via the controller, directly to Ableton. That is with Automap off. It allows you to select any instrument or audio effect, and display parameters above the knobs. Etc etc.

When you hit the Automap button, the plan is for Your controller to work through the Automap software on your computer, and Then into Ableton Live. This allows you to save lots of quickly accessible presets. You can show the software by hitting View on the controller.

Now that I think about it, perhaps Automap is being used by a different audio program?? That probably isn't the case though because, it would show up orange. Hmmm

sach160

Post by sach160 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:54 pm

I've owned automap since it was first released- it's nothing but a frustrating, complicated waste of time in my opinion, (an opinion i came to after years of trying to get it to work well). It doesnt. With ableton I'd recommend turning it off and using live's mapping for getting control of parameters. That method works pretty well with the mkii.

anamexis

Post by anamexis » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:33 pm

I've got Automap working perfectly fine with Ableton, haven't had any problems.

As for OP, what yur2die4 said - make sure the MkII is not in Automap mode.

As for Live MIDI settings, you are concerned with the top section of the MIDI settings. You should have a line that looks like my line 3 here: