Record reverb

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
brakeslow2

Record reverb

Post by brakeslow2 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:38 pm

Is it SAFE to record my vocals or hardware instruments (WITH added hardware reverb on it) to a track without suffering mixdown problems or eq problems later on ?
I havent tried this yet,but, I asked now before I lay down about 18 tracks like this first.

duckpow

Re: Record reverb

Post by duckpow » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:27 pm

Well... I would add the reverb later. Or split your recording: one channel for clean vocal and one for the reverb (if possibly).

Another way is to record the clean vocal and then use your hardware reverb as an external effect when you know how to fix it in the mix.

Using a vocal track which already has reverb tend not to be difficult.. only had a few cases where it was a royal pain in the...
- Well... but no!

trevox

Post by trevox » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:31 pm

I agree, always best to have a dry signal recorded. A good rule of thumb is that anything that is played live and cannot be exactly replicated again should be recorded dry as you can always add effects (hardware or software) later, but you cannot easily take it away if not happy with it!

brakeslow2

Post by brakeslow2 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:02 pm

I see it is a unanimous decision to keep it dry! Now I just need to find out the best way to use my hardware effects with Live. The forum SEARCH option is a little bugger trying to dig up an answer on routing hardware effects.

starfckr

Post by starfckr » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:20 pm

brakeslow2 wrote:I see it is a unanimous decision to keep it dry! Now I just need to find out the best way to use my hardware effects with Live. The forum SEARCH option is a little bugger trying to dig up an answer on routing hardware effects.
This is fairly easy, and can be done in numerous ways. One of the simplest is to use the "external effect" (or something like that) located in the audio effects folder in Ableton.

trevox

Post by trevox » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:19 pm

brakeslow2 wrote:I see it is a unanimous decision to keep it dry! Now I just need to find out the best way to use my hardware effects with Live. The forum SEARCH option is a little bugger trying to dig up an answer on routing hardware effects.
I do a fair amount of routing to external gear and then back into Live. Set up a send and route that to your effects machine and simply create and audio track for the feed coming back in! Or maybe I am missing something?

Warrior Bob

Post by Warrior Bob » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:17 pm

An External Effect device on a return track strikes me as the easiest way to integrate a hardware reverb.

Serra

Post by Serra » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:29 pm

better to record dry

http://youtu.be/BXIygTrVIHU
www.twitter.com/superstringz

Superstringz 'Revolver' on feature film, more info soon:
http://www.beatport.com/track/revolver- ... ix/2042615