64BIT !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
H20nly

Re: 64BIT !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by H20nly » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:01 pm

Atardecer wrote:
H20nly wrote:i'd just like to go ahead and request the 128 bit version first. since that's what everyone will HAVE TO HAVE in order to make music next.

thanks,

~ H20
I see your point but it overlooks the fact that many of us have a real need to address more than 4GB RAM. I am finding it very difficult to finish my projects because I use plugins like Omnisphere, BFD2 and Kontakt. 64bit support has now been implemented in the majority of other DAWS - Ableton is lagging way behind their competitors. I'm having a new 64-bit system built at the moment. If Ableton wont work with J-Bridge, I wont hesitate to go back to Cubase. And that is unfortunate.
i see some of your point...

1st define "way behind". 64 bit has been a reality for over 2 decades. 64 bit in the mainstream computer world has hardly been a reality for 2 years. either the OS wasn't there, the apps weren't, or the money wasn't there. based on the fact that you're wanting more apps to be 64 bit... i'd say there is still a ways to go. oh and... BTW, Live 8 is 2 years old now too.

2nd there are no surprises with the software you are using. the specs are accessible on the websites, the boxes, or the readme files (even cracks have readme files). Cubase has released another version since Live 8 and Cubase 5 were released. Pro-tools is on their next rev. Reaper too...

i think that wanting Live to be 64 bit is totally reasonable... on the one hand. on the other hand, so many of the posts in this thread are from people trying to guilt trip Ableton into making Live 64 bit as if their threat to switch DAWs or their accusing glares and finger pointing is actually going to make the coding process faster. try standing in the kitchen yelling at the cooks and pointing out what you think is wrong and see if that makes the food arrive any faster and/or better. One more post from someone belittling a 2 year old rev of software for it's current inadequacies is hardly going to change a thing IMO. YRMV. type on...

Atardecer

Post by Atardecer » Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:24 pm

I'm not belittling Ableton for not making Live 8 64-bit. Agreed, 2 years ago 64bit just wasn't quite there yet. But am I am expecting that Live 9 will be, which is what I think most people her are trying to get at. If it is not, then I will have to go back to Cubase 6 (which I already own) and I will not pay to upgrade, as i'm sure others wont. This is not sabre-rattling, It's just a consequence of Ableton decision-making. Ableton probably wont care because a decent portion of their customers may not need it. I prefer the functionality, features and workflow of Live but the memory restrictions for what I am doing are just becoming too restrictive. There is every case for Live 9 to be a 64-bit because most operating systems, plugins, and soundcard drivers are now supported. I've always taken Ableton to be a progressive company that stays on the edge of technology, thats why not implementing such a thing seems strange to me. Its been a long development period for Live 9 so I can only hope that this is something their looking into. They may do what Fxpansion did with BFD2 and keep quiet on the subject until unexpectedly hitting people with a 64 bit Beta version from nowhere.

ludande

Post by ludande » Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:25 pm

pointsource wrote:+1000000000000
+1 :lol: obviously not because a better perf - but to have a stable and common OS environment within the others editors which are delivering the plugs, audio divers, apps in 64bits.
I'm really disappointed :cry: about the general instability of mixing 32b and 64b software components.
hope we (all musician) can benefits soon of better software and compatibility.
ludan
Laptop HP Dual-Core 2.33 / 4 Gb RAM / HD 7200RPM
Windows XP / Live 8.05

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:07 pm

for you guys using other software which is 64 bit, have you had any issues with plugins which are 32 bit only ?

For example - I still use NI B4, and there's no 64 bit version ever going to be available for that. And that's just one example, I have plenty more.

How do you guys cope with your old favorites being missing from your 64 bit DAW ?

habeeb24

Web Design Company USA, web design sydney

Post by habeeb24 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:01 pm

The point is though that even if you only use it on a couple of key plugins like Kontakt or Battery for me, it improves the memory headroom no end.

ber

Post by ber » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:08 am

+1

I'm trying Ableton Live Lite and I like it. I was thinking about getting the full version BUT I promised myself not to invest on a 32bit software anymore, because, What does it say about the company? nothing good.

Please, 64 bits!

MIDIpanic

Post by MIDIpanic » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:39 am

Patience. Ableton is not alone in barriers to quickly moving to 64 bit. Pro Tools just released version 10 and, yes, it is still 32 bit. A killer DAW, but like Ableton Live, there are reasons for not rushing into 64 bit:

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=309387

As I have mentioned before, there are credible 64 to 32 bit bridges out there that allow you to use 64 bit plug now if you need them.

Ableton Live is unique, powerful and yet extremely user friendly. Don’t let the 32 bit thing deter you from using it. 64 bit Live will undoubtedly arrive soon.

Thalamus

Post by Thalamus » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:38 pm

MIDIpanic wrote: there are reasons for not rushing into 64 bit:

None of which apply to Ableton Live.

When you say 'rushing into 64 bit', what do you mean exactly? There are really no unknowns at all.
<> Peace <>

MIDIpanic

Post by MIDIpanic » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:23 pm

Thalamus wrote:
MIDIpanic wrote: there are reasons for not rushing into 64 bit:

None of which apply to Ableton Live.

When you say 'rushing into 64 bit', what do you mean exactly? There are really no unknowns at all.
I gave Pro Tools as an illustration of the unique barriers each developer might encounter transitioning to 64 bit; not to imply Ableton has the same issues as Avid. Not that it would help make the process faster, but like on the Avid forum, it might be help to have one of the Ableton support folks post on this thread and explain the kinds of problems Ableton is encountering in their transition to 64 bit.

geo

Post by geo » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:38 pm

Thalamus wrote: None of which apply to Ableton Live.
I agree, what on earth is the Ableton issue related to Pro Tools??
MIDIpanic wrote: I gave Pro Tools as an illustration of the unique barriers each developer might encounter transitioning to 64 bit; not to imply Ableton has the same issues as Avid. Not that it would help make the process faster, but like on the Avid forum, it might be help to have one of the Ableton support folks post on this thread and explain the kinds of problems Ableton is encountering in their transition to 64 bit.
If Ableton wanted to explain the issue, they would have done it already my friend, there are so many related threads online!

MIDIpanic

Post by MIDIpanic » Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:09 pm

If Ableton wanted to explain the issue, they would have done it already my friend, there are so many related threads online!
Yes. Many companies (Apple, etc) have a policy not to discuss future products. Ableton apparently falls into that category. The downside is that it potentially creates negative market effects among current and potential future users, yes?

tuonodriver

Post by tuonodriver » Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:09 pm

+1 for 64Bit!!!!! :D

geo

Post by geo » Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:22 pm

MIDIpanic wrote:
Yes. Many companies (Apple, etc) have a policy not to discuss future products. Ableton apparently falls into that category. The downside is that it potentially creates negative market effects among current and potential future users, yes?
I think so. I think they started well but who knows, due to the buggy 8 version, etc, they decided to keep quite and sort things out first or who know what other inner problems the company is facing and we don't know!

pipelayer

Post by pipelayer » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:13 pm

I WANT THAT 64 BIT ABLETON MAN! I WANT IT NOW!! HOW CAN YOU DEPRIVE US OF ALL THAT MEMORY FOR LARGER PROJECTS?! THIS IT 2012 MAN, GET WITH IT!!! TRY ME WILL YA! I'LL SHOW YA! I'M A TOUGHFY I AM! :mrgreen: LOVE YA MAN, LOVE YA.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:33 am

MIDIpanic wrote:
Yes, but only if those users are so hung up on the next version and what MIGHT happen that they fail to appreciate what is happening and what they do have.

the last time Ableton hyped up something that wasn't made yet, it blew up in their face. bridge anyone?

they'll announce it when they're good and funkin ready. beyond that... quit yer bitchin!