Using faders on an MPD to control levels on a drum rack?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
RottenToTheGore

Using faders on an MPD to control levels on a drum rack?

Post by RottenToTheGore » Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:29 pm

Yet another annoying question by me <_< Sorry.

I was watching a tutorial on drum racks the other night, and liked how you could expand the track in session view to show all of the different samples loaded and edit paramaters on each one.

I think this is an example of what I mean. (This is just an image I found online, not my setup)

Anyways, I already have an APC set up to use the sliders on the levels for each instrument. But if I had an MPD with it's own set of sliders, is there a way to configure each slider to each pad on a drum rack? (Well, I think the MPD only has around 8 sliders, but that would problably be enough for me)

I just like the thought of being able to say bring down the level of the snare with a slider. Like having a controller just for drums. Especially if I can get a good template set up for the different knobs too, it would be an ultimate drum controller :D

TL;DR - Can the sliders on an MPD just be used for Drum Rack pads while sliders on an APC just control the main instruments? Including the main volume for the drum rack?

PS: The idea sounds neat, and possibly useful to me, but I'm still learning alot. So for any experts, would this even be something that sounds worth it? Or am I just wasting my time for a small payoff?
Last edited by RottenToTheGore on Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jimbabwae

Re: Using faders on an MPD to control levels on a drum rack?

Post by Jimbabwae » Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:54 pm

I'd love to know the answer to this too!

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:13 pm

right click and "extract chain "...
(one by one ) on the drumrack chains ...
then group the extracted chains...

RottenToTheGore

Post by RottenToTheGore » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:50 pm

3dot... wrote:right click and "extract chain "...
Great :) I'll give it a shot tonight! My "dream" setup is kinda like this...

MPD -
Fader 1 - 8 (Controls volume for 8 samples in the drum rack)
Knobs 1 - 8 (Controls main drum rack macros, depending if I nest up to another 2 racks in there I can switch banks)

APC -

Fader 1 - 9 (Controls volume for each instrument loaded, 1 probably being the main level for the drum rack)
Knobs 1 - 8 (Controls for each instrument armed like normal. Speaking of which, question about that, see below)

Question: Is there any way to disable a knob to work for a certain setting? Like if I only wanted the knobs on the MPD to work for the drum rack, so if I accidently turn one on the APC when the drum rack is armed I don't change something?

Jimbabwae

Post by Jimbabwae » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:26 pm

Cheers for that, it does make the faders work but each hit is then on different tracks. I think what he's asking for (definitely what I'd like, if it's possible) it for the MPD to solely "do drums".

But thanks for the help! :-)

Jimmy

RottenToTheGore

Post by RottenToTheGore » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:31 pm

Jimbabwae wrote:
Cheers for that, it does make the faders work but each hit is then on different tracks. I think what he's asking for (definitely what I'd like, if it's possible) it for the MPD to solely "do drums".

But thanks for the help! :-)

Jimmy
Yep! That's it :) The only thing I'd want to use the APC for when it comes to the drums, would be to turn down the master level of the entire drum rack (Which I always keep my drum rack as the first instrument).