Launchpad - can you split the array?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Macrostructure

Launchpad - can you split the array?

Post by Macrostructure » Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:01 pm

Had a search but nothing much on this...

Is it possible, maybe with customisation, to split the launchpad so that the top 32 buttons are clip fire buttons/scenes which move with the red focus box in Live and the bottom 32 are statically assigned to various buttons and parameters in Live? Would be useful for me not to have to switch between sets of 64 in the normal manner...

cheers

ms

antarktika

Re: Launchpad - can you split the array?

Post by antarktika » Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:55 am

you mean besides just mapping the parameters you want to control to buttons? because you can assign any of those buttons to mappable parameters, and they will stay fixed while you scroll the red box around, or did you mean some kind of custom preset? why not just ignore the bottom half, except when you want to map something to it. I hadn't thought of this, but just hitting ctrl+m, then assigning the buttons works in a basic way, they are yellow in one state, and stay blinking in the second state, but they disable as clip launchers, and stay fixed when you move the focus box via the directional arrows, try that and see if it works for what you want. Otherwise it's automap or M4L for you! definitely possible though, how hard is yet for you to determine.

Macrostructure

Post by Macrostructure » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:45 pm

Thanks for the feedback :)

I tried that and there are a few problems. The flashing lights are quite off putting, not what I really want and if you happen to switch to another page and back again the lights in fact all go to cock. I can see no reason why that should be but...

andy c

Post by andy c » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:22 pm

Hi,
I use midikatapult http://www.midikatapult.com/ it works a bit like lemur in that you have buttons, faders, 2D pads that you can configure however you like ok the launchpad. Works well with Live to you just set it up to run on iether the user 1 or 2 buttons. They are working on V2 now this one works but can be tricky to set up at first, but at this price $11.95 can't complain.
Hope that helps you a bit,
Andy C

docprosper

Post by docprosper » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:32 am

So no native solution for this? I spent forever thinking I had a M4L problem, only to discover that the blinking that I though was a bug happens even when midi- mapping to something as simple as a device enable. I've made a M4L device that "blinks" a button when the playing clip nears its end or loop point (working towards screen-less performance) but the fact that I can't completely takeover the red box by midi-mapping without this blinking nonsense is killing me.

Can I use midikatapult to fix this AND preserve all my juicy Octop4d goodness? Is there a M4L fix to completely overtake a subset of the red box for midi use?

Cheers,
Hamish
Funk N. Furter wrote:Post properly.
Ableton Live Suite | M4L | Powerbook | Launchpad | APC40 | Faderfox | 2x1200 | Xone:96 | ...
---> http://soundcloud.com/kilcraft

docprosper

Post by docprosper » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:25 pm

andy c wrote:Works well with Live to you just set it up to run on iether the user 1 or 2 buttons.
... so there's the problem, I really want to reassign a subset of the session buttons, while maintaining the rest for the red box. I assume that the OP wants to do the same thing, and I'm not convinced midikatapult can take over a subset of the session buttons... anyone done this? You can midi assign individual buttons but the horrid blinking remains. Help?!?
Funk N. Furter wrote:Post properly.
Ableton Live Suite | M4L | Powerbook | Launchpad | APC40 | Faderfox | 2x1200 | Xone:96 | ...
---> http://soundcloud.com/kilcraft