Headphone advice?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Nx1

Headphone advice?

Post by Nx1 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:05 pm

So, i have had the Allen & Heath XD-53 for quite a while. They're good and all, but I'm looking for an upgrade. I love detail and clarity (with a nice bassline to accompany it, of course) The XD-53 deffinitly have the bass, but i feel like they could get much more detailed (since, they are "dj" headphones afterall.) So, that being said, ive been looking at hundreds and hundreds of different headphones. I've got it down to two i think will be very nice for my desires. the infamous HD 595's or the beyerdynamics DT 990 PRO (yes, im going for open-back.) Now, since i dont have the luxury of going to a store and trying both out (theres nothing around here in Louisville) i would like your all's opinion of which would be better for someone like me who LOVES: Detail, a nice full spacious sound, a kind of laid-back feel (not so in your face), and just overall sound quality. Im not a stickler for comfort or looks or anything like that all i care about is the sound quality.

I think you should know i do indeed have an amp and DAC that im very satisfied with and know it can power the DT 990's easily (the hd595 im not worried about power at all.)

In addition to this you should know the type of music i'll be listening to: Mainly electronic, with some jazz here and there.. and Radiohead.. I listen to a lot of techno, electronica, ambient, and really a lot of more laid-back chilled tunes.

Thanks

toph

Re: Headphone advice?

Post by toph » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:54 pm

Hi, I use the DT 990 Pro for a couple of years now and I'm very happy with it. To my ears it sounds clear and also is one of the best I heard when it comes to low frequencies. Compared to my old AKG and my Audio Technica D40 (which others say should sound very clear with good bass) I like the Beyerdynamic much more. Beside that (even if you don't care) it's very comfortable to wear since longer recording or night sessions.

Nx1

Post by Nx1 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:04 am

toph wrote:Beside that (even if you don't care) it's very comfortable to wear since longer recording or night sessions.
Sorry, to clarify, i do care about comfort and such, BUT i was trying to stress the point of how much more audio quality means to me than things like that.

But, how would you personally describe the sound from the DT990's? is it flat and neutral, warm, bright, etc..?

toph

Post by toph » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:27 am

To my ears the DT 990 sounds neutral to warm - much warmer than the Audio Technica for example, which sounds flat to me. The Beyerdynamic was the first headphone I liked to work with while composing and arranging, because of it's sound. All other headphones (except the DT 770) I've used so far sounded thin and nasty to me and it was't fun to work with them at all.

I don't want to affect you in your decision by writing that and I think it's a very subjective issue at all. Don't you have the chance to order the DT 990 with the possibility to return it if it's not your piece of cake? - Then I would do so. I think at least that's the only way to find out, if it fits your needs.

Nx1

Post by Nx1 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:45 am

yes that is my plan, but i would still like to inform myself as much as possible before-hand ya know? I hate to be grilling you with questions, but you mention they are great for composing. What about casual listening as well? are they a headphone you'd throw on to be immersed in sound and jam? or just to mix.

Cymatic Kicks

Post by Cymatic Kicks » Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:17 am

I use Ultrasone Pro 650's, love 'em. They sound great for producing, and just about everything else.

morbid

Post by morbid » Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:27 am

If its just for listening and not production ie. You dont need a really flat response to make critical adjustments then look at the Grado range

Really nice light comfortable open back phones

McQ714

Post by McQ714 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:46 am

Cymatic Kicks wrote:I use Ultrasone Pro 650's, love 'em. They sound great for producing, and just about everything else.

i was beginning to think i was the only one that constantly supports Ultrasone's when this topic is brought up.

i've got the DJ1 Pros and the Proline 650s. Both older models but sound incredible. the DJ1 Pros have a larger diaphragm so the bass ends up sounding a bit deeper in them. they are great for those late night sessions when you don't want to disturb anyone but still gotta have the bass boom-boom.

Nx1

Post by Nx1 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:26 am

really what im after is just a great listening experience. I can use my monitors for production so thats really not a huge concern.

condra

Post by condra » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:20 am

I love my SONY MDR-7506, though they're just a tad "bright" IMO.

Resident

Post by Resident » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:39 am

toph wrote:Hi, I use the DT 990 Pro for a couple of years now and I'm very happy with it. To my ears it sounds clear and also is one of the best I heard when it comes to low frequencies. Compared to my old AKG and my Audio Technica D40 (which others say should sound very clear with good bass) I like the Beyerdynamic much more. Beside that (even if you don't care) it's very comfortable to wear since longer recording or night sessions.
+1 Love the DT 990 Pro. Together with 112dB redline monitor on the masterbuss i can record for hours......no ear fatique....

I use the DT 990 Pro for years now i recently bought a new one. I have had also AKG don't remember which type but those sound very bright for my taste. The bass is good for the beyerdynamic.

majicmonk

Post by majicmonk » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:13 am

i dont own a pair but the DR Dre series are pretty nice. Havnt tried them for mastering though.

keefbaker

Post by keefbaker » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:02 pm

My sennheiser HD-650s are bob on.