To all whiners...

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
Goddard

To all whiners...

Post by Goddard » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:17 pm

In the case if you haven't got enough whining about Live (in all it's carnations...)...

http://www.musicradar.com/news/tech/wha ... day-489062

Enjoy.
"Machines are the weapon employed by the capitalists to quell the revolt of specialized labor" Karl Marx

9V

Re: To all whiners...

Post by 9V » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:25 pm

so propellerhead reason has become a DAW quod erat demonstrandum :roll:

Goddard

Post by Goddard » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:57 pm

Wow! While I was pasting the link Live was still at the top with 29%...
"Machines are the weapon employed by the capitalists to quell the revolt of specialized labor" Karl Marx

condra

Post by condra » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:29 pm

Reasonsabigloadofshite

simpleton

Post by simpleton » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:01 pm

Oh sorry, I thought you meant winners.
The Leveller wrote:Wow, a weird shaped dead coral with sh!t stuck to it. Proof indeed of supernatural abilities.

9V

Post by 9V » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:02 pm

i guess it is because of the propellerheads fanboys (you can vote whenever you want, even 100 times). It is an emotive poll, not for real. :roll: I remember in propellerhead forum one of the reason fanboy made a similar "poll", it was "are you against vst in reason"? and you could vote "against" whenever you wanted, just entering the forum. So i guess, every time he entered the forum he voted "against". Yet, the "against vst" was stuck at 58%, and the fanboys were upset haha :mrgreen:

starving student

Post by starving student » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:06 pm

condra wrote:Reasonsabigloadofshite

haven't used reason since 4.0 I guess but the beastie boys album seems to have gotten some good use out of it.

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:50 pm

The last time I messed with Reason was a long time ago and even as a seasoned DAW user I couldn’t wrap my head around it. I think the most I got out of it was fussing with the virtual cables on the virtual back panel and giggling about it.

I have Logic, Live, Maschine, and an irresponsible amount of third party plug-ins. Am I missing out on something by not having reason? Honestly, it seems like a toy but a lot of producers of all levels praise it like it’s the second coming.

starving student

Post by starving student » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:13 pm

it really appeals to the modular senses within the user and is quite a fresh little sampler, now that it can actually record samples, it's groove matrix is second to none though. I'm really looking forward to checking out the soundcard they're putting out, I need something simple like that to drag around with a macbook air and a launchpad while my babies (mpcs and mpc-esk) are in daycare.

9V

Post by 9V » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:13 am

reason had to remain original, with just a few devices, updated year by year. But PH decision was to be an iperclosed product, and now reason has become a total mess, with audio tracks, tons of redundant devices, for instance three different samplers (but no one of them complete), four reverb/delay devices, four drum machines etc. All these devices because of the fact they aren't still capable to make a stable vst reason version. Infact they say "with vst support reason would become unstable". As a reason user since 2001, i had so much patience, waiting for this fix... year by year. Then the mistake with "record"... a total commercial failure... ten years have passed and in september reason 6 is coming out, less than a year after reason 5: that is to say: reason dead, and they will sell record with the name "reason 6"... because reason is a known "brand" with the known symbol etc. But again: no vst support, no midi out, not even rewire master. I wonder why the creators of rewire cannot make their software being rewire master... They pretend it to be a "complete DAW", because of the record+reason union... but of course it isn't for a professional use: infact they will sell it in an "all in one" packet, with a phisical controller (but without midi connections!!!)... for green home music makers and/or people like guitarists, singers etc. Electronic musicians bye bye (the original target, when PH were pioneers), teenagers and fanboys wellcome. No criticism, or you'll be banned. Dongle included. New policy, i guess. :roll:

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:48 am

starving student wrote:it really appeals to the modular senses within the user and is quite a fresh little sampler, now that it can actually record samples, it's groove matrix is second to none though. I'm really looking forward to checking out the soundcard they're putting out, I need something simple like that to drag around with a macbook air and a launchpad while my babies (mpcs and mpc-esk) are in daycare.
I would think NI would have you covered with their dozen or so usb powered audio interfaces.

9V wrote:reason had to remain original, with just a few devices, updated year by year. But PH decision was to be an iperclosed product, and now reason has become a total mess, with audio tracks, tons of redundant devices, for instance three different samplers (but no one of them complete), four reverb/delay devices, four drum machines etc. All these devices because of the fact they aren't still capable to make a stable vst reason version. Infact they say "with vst support reason would become unstable". As a reason user since 2001, i had so much patience, waiting for this fix... year by year. Then the mistake with "record"... a total commercial failure... ten years have passed and in september reason 6 is coming out, less than a year after reason 5: that is to say: reason dead, and they will sell record with the name "reason 6"... because reason is a known "brand" with the known symbol etc. But again: no vst support, no midi out, not even rewire master. I wonder why the creators of rewire cannot make their software being rewire master... They pretend it to be a "complete DAW", because of the record+reason union... but of course it isn't for a professional use: infact they will sell it in an "all in one" packet, with a phisical controller (but without midi connections!!!)... for green home music makers and/or people like guitarists, singers etc. Electronic musicians bye bye (the original target, when PH were pioneers), teenagers and fanboys wellcome. No criticism, or you'll be banned. Dongle included. New policy, i guess. :roll:

So it sounds like no value added for my setup. I could be wrong, but it sounds to me like a lot of Reason fanboys started making music with Reason and for that alone they can't let it go or admit it's shortcomings. It's like why buy a house when you're getting what you need out of your studio apartment. Anything beyond that would be overkill...metaphically speaking.

Goddard

Post by Goddard » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:54 am

I like Reason as much as Live and Logic and every piece of software that helps me to play with sound...
My intention was to show you that despite all hatred to Ableton Live shared on this forum there are some satisfied users "out there"...
Unfortunatelly a bit to late, because now their poll shows Live losing in populariry even with FL...

9V

Post by 9V » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:00 am

i don't know, just enter the PH forum and realize 80% are fanboys. I guess it sounds offensive, but i don't know other terms... they don't consider reason a tool for the music, they consider it "the music"... and every discontent user sooner or later will be banned... very bad experience there for me. They obviously cannot use censorship about criticism, so they pretend you are "trolling" when you express your complaints. 10 years of payments as a registered user and banned as a thief by "popular" fanboy demand. Horrible. An example: in kvr there was a poll like "what is the best DAW out there?". Now, if you enter the fanboys PH community, they claim reason is not a DAW. But at the same time they want reason to be "the best DAW" and ask people to vote for reason... see the thread starter and the topic. Embarassing fanboysm IMO :roll:

condra

Post by condra » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:00 am

Reason always took everything I hate about music software to new levels.

Cramped interface, fiddley knobs, restricted possibilities, pseudo realistic graphics, steep learning curve.
They have failed to move with the times.

The fact that their userbase is loyal and evangelical says nothing about their product. The Jesus Christ userbase is loyal and evangelical, and it's still a big pile of steaming poo.

The saddest part is that it had so much potential. The synths and samplers sound awesome, but the user experience is just terrible compared to Live.

And now that big screens are affordable, VSTs are tending to be bigger, and Live has that fantastic Zoom function, I can just sit back, relax my eyes, and get busy making music....

.... can't do that with Propellerheads.
They want every sucker who uses their software to hunch over and burn their sorry eyes out while their lumbar region slowly decomposes, nudging their mouse back and forth like a deranged psycho trying to catch a fly, when all they really need to do is turn a fucking filter modulation amount knob from zero to 50%.

IS THAT SO HARD PROPS? TO MAKE A KNOB BIGGER THAN 5 PIXELS IN DIAMETER?

ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH-------

9V

Post by 9V » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:07 am

how dare you to criticize THE BEST DAW IN THE WORLD according to the poll? If you ask in PH forum they'll tell you "how dare you to call it a DAW", because no, it is not a DAW, infact it will never support vst, if you need to play your bloody plugins go away from here, or you'll be banned... and remember: you can rewire reason into a DAW, because, they say, it is not a DAW, but wait: the poll says it is a DAW? Or maybe just a TRIBUTE of a DAW... a dawdaw :roll:
Last edited by 9V on Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:16 am, edited 2 times in total.