Dissappointing Freeze

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
headquest

Post by headquest » Sun Jun 19, 2005 1:36 pm

Robert Henke wrote:... we plan to add a comand which will make a real audio clip out of the frozen track. However this would also mean we need to program something which can turn a MIDI track into an audio track. Well, we work on it.

Robert Henke / Ableton
Is this planned for Live 5 still? Your description here sounds like the very cook freeze I expected from the advance publicity :D
iMac Retina 4K 3.3Ghz i7, 16Gb RAM
Live Suite 9.7.1 + Reason 9.1 + Pianoteq 5 + Sibelius 8.5

Listen on Soundcloud

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Mon Jun 20, 2005 6:37 pm

headquest wrote:Yes, now that I've spent more time with Live 5's freeze, I don't think it does what the publicity claimed it would do :? I had thought that the clips within the track would be frozen (i,e. rendered in the background in a temp file) and you could launch them still in real time. That seems not to be the case which is disappointing.
that is exactly what is happening actually. check your temp directory when you freeze. you'll see freeze01.wav, etc.

the problem now is, we can only access those .wav's while the track is frozen. What we're wanting is a "deep" freeze to be able to use those frozen .wav's in other tracks.

headquest

Post by headquest » Mon Jun 20, 2005 7:03 pm

I was sure that was precisely what is described in the publicity material, though :?

Listen on Soundcloud

braj

Post by braj » Mon Jun 20, 2005 7:11 pm

Is it possible to duplicate the frozen files and then import them like you would any other audio clip?

raapie

Post by raapie » Mon Jun 20, 2005 7:14 pm

AdamJay wrote: "deep" freeze
:lol:

Funny but also a great idea!
Marco Raaphorst

music, sound & story maker

https://melodiefabriek.com

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Mon Jun 20, 2005 7:23 pm

braj wrote:Is it possible to duplicate the frozen files and then import them like you would any other audio clip?
you could go into your temp directory and copy them, yes.

headquest

Post by headquest » Mon Jun 20, 2005 7:24 pm

AdamJay wrote:
braj wrote:Is it possible to duplicate the frozen files and then import them like you would any other audio clip?
you could go into your temp directory and copy them, yes.
Aha - good idea braj/Adam... very good idea! Nice. 8)

Listen on Soundcloud

raapie

Post by raapie » Mon Jun 20, 2005 7:48 pm

not temp-folder, in self-contained folder using convention <trackname><space> Sounds.
Marco Raaphorst

music, sound & story maker

https://melodiefabriek.com

braj

Post by braj » Mon Jun 20, 2005 7:50 pm

That actually shouldn't be very hard to do, just work up to the point that you want 'render' and copy the whole directory, and navigate to it from the file browser.

Man, gotta love Live, even the work-arounds are simple.

supster

Post by supster » Mon Jun 20, 2005 7:51 pm

Robert Henke wrote:... we plan to add a comand which will make a real audio clip out of the frozen track. However this would also mean we need to program something which can turn a MIDI track into an audio track. Well, we work on it.

Robert Henke / Ableton

i would think this would be akin to a "consolidate" command. you already have the wav files rendered in a temp directory.

whats to prevent you from writing code that just takes the file, makes it a permenant clip named after the original clip, and moves it to the /sounds directory?

this is like putting the "ctrl-j" feature in the session view, which we have been asking for .... for that matter, how about keeping that same command for audio clips and midi clips in session view :)
--
NEW SPECS: Athlon 4200+ dual; A8N-SLI m/b; Win XP Home SP2; 1 GB RAM; 2x 7200 RPM HDD: 1 internal, 1 Firewire 800 (Firewire is project data drive); M-Audio Triggerfinger

josh 'vonster' von; tracks and sets
http://www.joshvon.com

melocoton

Post by melocoton » Mon Jun 20, 2005 7:59 pm

I said it before but I'll say it again here. How could you possibly rearrange the clips in a frozen track in the arrange view if there were delay or reverb effects applied? I don't quite understand why people are expecting this. To me, freeze is what you do to a track that you're not intending on touching so that you can free up some CPU while you're mixing. As long as it does this I'll be a happy camper.

braj

Post by braj » Mon Jun 20, 2005 8:05 pm

melocoton wrote:I said it before but I'll say it again here. How could you possibly rearrange the clips in a frozen track in the arrange view if there were delay or reverb effects applied? I don't quite understand why people are expecting this. To me, freeze is what you do to a track that you're not intending on touching so that you can free up some CPU while you're mixing. As long as it does this I'll be a happy camper.
I agree, but while Ableton is at it we may as well try and get the most flexible solution possible.

supster

Post by supster » Mon Jun 20, 2005 9:27 pm

melocoton wrote:I said it before but I'll say it again here. How could you possibly rearrange the clips in a frozen track in the arrange view if there were delay or reverb effects applied?
because the freeze creates actual wave files in a temp directory.

so you would think you could use - and based on the description in the announcement, expect to - manipulate or even save those files seperately as much as you wanted to until you unfreeze

of course any addional effects or changes would be lost when you unfroze the track. but this is what we are suggesting -

that its a logical step just to "consolidate" those existing temp files into permanant files in your /sounds directory ..
--
NEW SPECS: Athlon 4200+ dual; A8N-SLI m/b; Win XP Home SP2; 1 GB RAM; 2x 7200 RPM HDD: 1 internal, 1 Firewire 800 (Firewire is project data drive); M-Audio Triggerfinger

josh 'vonster' von; tracks and sets
http://www.joshvon.com

dinga

Post by dinga » Tue Jun 21, 2005 10:24 am

Adam/Braj/Robert,

just wondering (since I don't have the beta):

what bit-size are the temporary freeze files? In Logic express, they're 32bits float, which puts a serious strain on the audio stream from disk.You save CPU power, but the disk must then really work hard..

It would be nice/useful to be able to choose the bit-size of the "deep-frozen"files,no?

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Tue Jun 21, 2005 10:41 am

I have a hunch that the frozen sound is the same resolution as the project res.
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.