The REAL status of Live 9

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
simpleton

The REAL status of Live 9

Post by simpleton » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:44 pm

Folks, I know I kid around a lot in here but this came from as close to the horses mouth as I can get. And I got pretty close. It's a very credible source and an honest assesment.

1)The Good- It's going to be stunning. New features. Whole new development. 64 bit, etc. In a nutshell, it's going to be a shocker. 8O
2) The Bad- 8 to 10 months out. :(
3) The Ugly- (see #2 above). iow- you won't be getting it for Christmas, or New Year's. :cry:
The Leveller wrote:Wow, a weird shaped dead coral with sh!t stuck to it. Proof indeed of supernatural abilities.

Bizon

Re: The REAL status of Live 9

Post by Bizon » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:48 pm

I guess that is in line with announcing it at 2012 NAMM and releasing a few months later like they did with Live 8.

simpleton

Post by simpleton » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:53 pm

Bizon wrote:I guess that is in line with announcing it at 2012 NAMM and releasing a few months later like they did with Live 8.
This makes sense. My source said that they are not even at the point of making any announcements atm. But by Winter NAMM they may be(<my conjecture not my sources).
The Leveller wrote:Wow, a weird shaped dead coral with sh!t stuck to it. Proof indeed of supernatural abilities.

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:09 pm

I'm not sure what this source of yours is or how genuine the information is, but if I had to make a guess, that would be pretty much what I'd expect. Live 8 is a pretty complete package with most of what people have wanted out of Live for some time. I feel like to raise the bar it would be a significant overhaul and the yearly touch up just wouldn't really do it this time. It's still the package that nobody can compete with for what it does, so it makes more sense not to rush a release but to put some time into the next big jump. I am very interested what they are up to.
Professional Shark Jumper.

simpleton

Post by simpleton » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:28 pm

glitchrock-buddha wrote:I'm not sure what this source of yours is or how genuine the information is, but if I had to make a guess, that would be pretty much what I'd expect. Live 8 is a pretty complete package with most of what people have wanted out of Live for some time. I feel like to raise the bar it would be a significant overhaul and the yearly touch up just wouldn't really do it this time. It's still the package that nobody can compete with for what it does, so it makes more sense not to rush a release but to put some time into the next big jump. I am very interested what they are up to.
I am certain of my sources knowledge, and I agree with you that a simple cosmetic overhaul wouldn't suffice this time around. I think that Ableton are in tune with Apple's business model that to stay ahead of the competition you've got to be tight lipped until your ready to leave them in the dust.

nathannn

Post by nathannn » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:30 pm

Well, if its a complete overhaul than it will probably require a new computer, at least by then I will have one.
The Push / Novation Launch Pad / Novation Launch Pad Pro / Novation Launch Key
/ Launch Control XL / Machine MkII / Machine Studio / BeatStep / Livid OhmRGB / Livid Code V2 / Apc 40 MKII

no computers or synths

20 Copies of Ableton Live Lite.

Slightlydelic

Post by Slightlydelic » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:34 pm

if we could get an official announcement to that effect i might consider max for live to tide me over. as it is im just spending money elsewhere.

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:41 pm

I would be surprized if they did not go above and beyond expectations, in wake of the Live 8 bug, and promoted features that fizzled out.

64bit
Record Automation to session
and Preset recalling of device/macro parameters

That would pretty much do it for me, hopefully they take it even farther.

automation curves
better browsing, mappable browsing
midi mappable solo on drum rack cells
better M4L integration with Max 6
full M4L and API documentation and tutorials.

simpleton

Post by simpleton » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:53 pm

Slightlydelic wrote:if we could get an official announcement to that effect i might consider max for live to tide me over. as it is im just spending money elsewhere.
Not in the immediate future. I think that they're perfectly content letting the competition think that they've lost their way... until they're ready to broadside them. In retrospect the fact that they've let the inmates at the zoo continue to rant without throwing us a bone leads me to believe they they have something huge up their sleeve.

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:05 pm

simpleton wrote:...I think that they're perfectly content letting the competition think that they've lost their way...
I just have a hard time believing the competition thinks they have lost their way. It seems to me the only people who think they lost their way are long time Ableton users, which I am guessing is dramatically smaller than the boatload of DJ's who jumped on board in the last 3 years.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:16 pm

:roll:

the first rule of being close to a source is keep your freaking mouth shut. you go and post on the Ableton forum?

just sayin'...
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:19 pm

Tone Deft wrote::roll:

the first rule of being close to a source is keep your freaking mouth shut. you go and post on the Ableton forum?

just sayin'...
Was sorta thinkin' the same... 8O
Professional Shark Jumper.

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:22 pm

wow, there's rules?

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:24 pm

gentlemen don't need rules.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

Bizon

Post by Bizon » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:29 pm

If this is true, it is probably good news for Ableton. I reckon there are a lot of people on the fence whether they should buy Live or wait a couple of months for the next release. Well, this answers their questions, buy now as there will be no new product for a lot longer than a couple of months.