Is Live Dead?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

Is Live Dead?

Yes, I hate to say it but it needs reviving quickly!
18%
No, even though a new version ain't been released since.... I forgot it's been so long.
76%
Don't really care, I lost interest a long time ago.
6%

Total votes: 108

malenko

Is Live Dead?

Post by malenko » Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:30 pm

Like everyone else here, we have been waiting patiently for Ableton's new version of Live and as each and every other developer have been releasing a new version, some are on their second since Live8 was released, Ableton seems to have become stagnant.

I've wanted to start this thread for a very long time, probably over a year and it's only till recently from upgrading my system that I have encountered a serious problem with Live, that their answer to it has kicked my arse to start this.
My new system is a PC using Windows7 64bit and still using Live7 with Reason3. The problem being Live will not Rewire with Reason. Every time I try, Live crashes and then closes. Abe's response to this was not only is Live7 not officially supported with Windows7 but until Propellerheads realease Reason6 with a 64bit rewire engine, it just ain't gonna work. How lame!

There is a reason I am still using Live7. When 8 came out I really could not see the value of upgrading was worth my hard earned cash. With too little new features and the Max4Live intergration, which not only was I completely uninterested in, I was not willing to pay extra for it either. But then a couple of years ago I came extremely close to upgrading but not only did I come to the same conclusion, I was still too wary of it since everyone was saying how unstable it is. So I bought Cubase5 instead, but since having it I still keep opening up Live first and to be honest have hardly used it.

Live is the most intuitive and creative DAW out there and I still love it. It's what got me into all this in the first place because of its ease of use but it has suddenly nose dived for me in its popularity since I can't even rewire with it on my new computer! I'm still using Reason3 because I didn't need or want to upgrade it and was happy with it, I can't stand writing in it which is why I rewire it into Live but with Reason6 around the corner do I upgrade and leave Live behind?
Or do I finally bite the bullet and try to learn Cubase properly since on my new more powerfull computer it works flawlessly, plus it can run 64bit!?
The worst thing is that it is still tempting to upgrade to Live8 to get the Windows7 support, so what if I did and then Ableton go `hey look we now have Live9', I just aint gonna have or even want to spend the money. When contacting support last week about my problem I asked them when Live9 might be released and the answer was they have no release date to announce at the moment :evil:

Trust me I do not want to leave Live behind but with the way it's going I may have to. Other developers are fighting for our money and they certainly are at the front of the queue while Ableton seem to be sitting in the corner. I'm sure when it finally does happen it will be something extraordinary and full of what we have all hoped for, if not..................... bye bye Ableton

9V

Re: Is Live Dead?

Post by 9V » Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:44 pm

Some of you have experienced and reported problems with Live 8 several months ago that we have still failed to fix. This is both painful and necessary for us to discuss. We owe you sincere apologies, as well as an explanation and outlook for the future.

Ableton values quality over innovation. Our engineers will stop whatever they are doing to fix a bug when they become aware of it. They must, however, rely on a process that prepares the incoming information and funnels it to them appropriately. Establishing and maintaining this process is the responsibility of management — particularly us, Bernd and Gerhard — and this is where things have gone wrong while we let our attention divert to ambitious new projects.

Our apologies also extend to both the Ableton developers and tech support colleagues because they want to be proud of software and service that users love.

We have now decided to:

suspend all development towards new features while the whole team joins forces to address the current issues. This effort is open ended and will result in a free Live 8 update;
make process changes to prevent similar situations from happening in the future.

We hope this plan finds your understanding and agreement. We’d like to wish you a very happy holiday season and a wonderful 2010!

Gerhard Behles, CEO
Bernd Roggendorf, CTO

T.I.M.

Post by T.I.M. » Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:47 pm

I applaude them for getting 8 worked out before releasing the next version.

catalyst

Post by catalyst » Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:56 pm

T.I.M. wrote:I applaude them for getting 8 worked out before releasing the next version.
+1

Looking forward to news of what the next version has in store for us but for now, I'm making music 8)

Theo Void

Post by Theo Void » Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:03 pm

Live is definitely not Dead. Some of the biggest names in Electronic music use live in the studio and live.

shuutobi

Post by shuutobi » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:24 pm

T.I.M. wrote:I applaude them for getting 8 worked out before releasing the next version.
+1

Tell that to EA games/DICE. XD

starving student

Post by starving student » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:08 pm

my opinion goes here ______________

Piplodocus

Post by Piplodocus » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:18 pm

Course it's not Dead.. it's a Live! :oops:

bassik

Post by bassik » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:27 pm

what do anyone need in a new version?
to me anything they are not trying to fix already...
What kind of new features do you need?

Probably better if anyone would start thinking about producing music more than extra new features that will definitely not help your creativity...

No offence to anyone in the forum just some thoughts that are around in my head since long time, after keep reading posts of complaints..

Tysonviolin

Post by Tysonviolin » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:59 pm

I dont need any features...... EXCEPT lol, a midi programmable trim for looped material in Looper so I can cut down on redundant tracks :-P

southsounder

Post by southsounder » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:01 am

It hardly seems fair to blame Live for lack of Win7 support and rewire capability with the newest version of Reason when you're using an older version of Live. While I totally support your decision to stay with 7 (I use version 6 on my little G4 laptop for similar reasons) I fail to see how you can honestly blame Ableton because it has problems with the newest OS and versions of other software.

They have been working continuously to make sure Live (roughly) keeps pace with the current state of the industry - and with the exception of Lion the current version of Live does just that. They're (hopefully) scrambling on 8.2.5 to bring Lion compatibility on board too. How is that considered "dead"?

Almost any software manufacturer could be accused of the same issues your raising if you try to hold their older software to current compatibility standards. I think it's fair to beat up on Ableton for some of their stability issues, but not because their older software isn't somehow "forward compatible" with newer programs and you're also not willing to upgrade to the current version which is.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:32 am

i'm sorry, i couldn't find the option on the poll for "No", just plain "No".

could you add that so i can vote.

8) thanks.
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

d-track

Post by d-track » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:44 am

everytime i open up this forum i found the same topics under different names. whens live 9, live is dead, we want beizer curves etc.
i was thinking about switching daw (more precisely to logic) but eventually i found more limitations on the latest daws than on the good old L8.
no perfect daw as no perfect camera and so on.
use what you like. complaining in these threads is meh.

but... i really miss beizer curves.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:11 am

d-track wrote:everytime i open up this forum i found the same topics under different names.
use what you like. complaining in these threads is meh.
as Live becomes more popular more users are signing on. there's a wider range of users on both ends of the spectrum. roll with it and step over the meh threads.

is Live dead? how can something called Live ever be dead??? Henke didn't lose his hair developing this stuff just to let it go and die.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

Theo Void

Post by Theo Void » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:47 am

Just the fact that there is an entire forum devoted to it is a sure sign that it is NOT dead. This could be the most perfect piece of software ever concieved and created and maintained by JESUS CHRIST himself and people would still find something to piss and moan about.

IMHO, Live is exactly what I've been waiting for since I first picked up a guitar and a Yamaha MT8-X , (8 track mixer.) when I was 11 years old. It's as close to perfect RIGHT NOW as any DAW could possibly be.
I could NOT imagine my life w/o Ableton. and honestly W/ my system, which is pretty standard(see my sg.) I don't experience too many problrms.

All these ppl crying about Live day in and day out are either too stupid to figure out the program, too fucking lazy to read the manual, or un-grateful pricks!!!!!
What the fuck do u ppl want? A program that reads your thoughts and translates them into music.? Do you want to push a button and get a song?

Anything worth doin is worth the work it requires to do.

If the feature you want is not there, then it's not there. get over it or find a work-around. Being a computer musicaian means improvising, pushing the envelope, experimenting and innovation!!!!!
Get on it Sucka's.

Live works GREAT for me and I love it!