The Great Year

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
drewbixcube

Re: The Great Year

Post by drewbixcube » Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:57 pm

9V wrote:*facepalm*
Is that supposed to make me feel inferior? Or maybe I should quit asking these questions because another person on the internet doesn't agree with me. Yeah, you got me 9V. Kudos to you. You are awarded 9 million internetz.

I merely stated my interest on this topic, posing a different possibility than what most believe to be the only answer. You expressed your opinion, which lo and behold, is not the end all be all to the subject. It is still under hot debate among the archaeological community. Perhaps you should come to grips with the fact that you don't have all the answers.

Maybe you can explain precession to the board. You might talk about "wobble". As the earth is pulled by the Sun and the Moon, it is thought to wobble on it's axis, which causes the constellations to move backwards through the sky. However, this explanation would mean that the Earth's seasons would slowly change duration. That is to say, Spring would be longer for a period of time, and shorter for another. Yet, this is not the case. Why?

Another theory for precession is that our Sun is in an orbit of its own, with another star. This is called a binary star system. The Sun theoretically pulls the Earth along with it as it travels around a second, undiscovered star. This would also explain why precession isn't constant. Currently, it is speeding up. Binary star systems are very common in the Universe, so it is not a stretch to assume our own Sun is as such. If this is the case, and since our own Sun is a viable source of energy, who is to say we might not also gain some source of energy from the second star? Plants tend to thrive during Spring, and wither during Fall. How is it so inconceivable that human beings might have a similar connection to this second star?

Do you rag on a person for their religious beliefs? It's called tolerance, and ever since you got yourself banned from KVR and Propellerheads you have done nothing but push the limits of everyone's tolerance here. If you have nothing to contribute to this discussion, you should just push off.
Last edited by drewbixcube on Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

drewbixcube

Post by drewbixcube » Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:05 pm

Machinesworking wrote:
drewbixcube wrote: Your opinion, and you are entitled to it. However, there is no more proof to your belief than mine. Do the pyramids need further explanation? Well, since we can't prove they were built by slaves to bury their king, how can we say for certain just what they were used for or how they were built? Wouldn't you think mankind might gain some knowledge or key insight from a more complete explanation? Why do we insist we are more intelligent than our ancient counterparts when we cannot answer these questions?
They say very simply that slaves built them.
They had a lot of slaves.
Why do people need to read more into it than that?

It sucks that Christianity wiped out science for hundreds of years after Rome became Christian, but what's even worse to me is modern liberals DEMAND that mankind be guided by aliens, they demand that archeologists and other people of science be proven wrong in favor of this holding up of ancient cultures as more advanced than even ours in 2011. It's this misguided and romantic image of the primitive as being the pure soul who was not only unjustly enslaved by advancing modern civilization, but who had a more robust and wholesome spiritual life. Their actions guided by aliens who not only bring science but New Age mysticism with them proving every liberals high school math teacher wrong in one fell swoop of alien shamanistic ancient wisdom on an organic platter of liberal guilt and a wise old brown person who shows them the way, so they now enlightened can convert that cheerleader to their naked pony ride......

Rant over, the youtube video starts with the premise that "ruins" in the Gulf of Cambay prove that civilization is older than we think. No scientists believe that the shards of clay in the gulf are proof of an ancient city. In fact most don't even think the shards were created by humans, but are simply natural formations, read up on it. The first bit of proof in the video is based on conjecture.

I would love it if there was proof of aliens, but there simply is not. There's plenty of proof that people can create amazing buildings, and that mankind can enslave and force people to work for them, though obviously that's not a very romantic image of the past compared to yours, I tend to want to error on the side of what is known, and what is scientifically provable over pipe dreams.
Thank you Machinesworking. I'll definitely check out the Gulf of Cambay a little more closely. 9V, not once did I say I wholeheartedly subscribe to the ancient alien belief. I simply stated it as one of the possibilities. These are called words. Together they form sentences and paragraphs which need to be read in succession in order to be fully understood. Clearly this is yet another concept which escapes your grasp.

9V

Post by 9V » Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:27 pm

twisted-space

Post by twisted-space » Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:57 pm

nevermind

9V

Post by 9V » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:04 pm

drewbixcube wrote: Do you rag on a person for their religious beliefs? It's called tolerance, and ever since you got yourself banned from KVR and Propellerheads you have done nothing but push the limits of everyone's tolerance here. If you have nothing to contribute to this discussion, you should just push off.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWUptVHNfvw :roll:

drewbixcube

Post by drewbixcube » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:10 pm

You got something to say, then say it. I can't be arsed to click on every youtube video you post. What is that one, another Frank Zappa reference? Tenacious D? Use your own words and you might not come off as being such a pathetic waste of human life.

9V

Post by 9V » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:41 pm

drewbixcube wrote:You got something to say, then say it. I can't be arsed to click on every youtube video you post. What is that one, another Frank Zappa reference? Tenacious D? Use your own words and you might not come off as being such a pathetic waste of human life.
ok, sorry. I try with words:

Whoever we are
Wherever we're from
We shoulda noticed by now
Our behavior is dumb
And if our chances
Expect to improve
It's gonna take a lot more
Than tryin' to remove
The other race
Or the other whatever
From the face
Of the planet altogether

They call it THE EARTH
Which is a dumb kinda name
But they named it right
'Cause we behave the same...
We are dumb all over
Dumb all over,
Yes we are
Dumb all over,
Near 'n far
Dumb all over,
Black 'n white
People, we is not wrapped tight

Nurds on the left
Nurds on the right
Religous fanatics
On the air every night
Sayin' the Bible
Tells the story
Makes the details
Sound real gory
'Bout what to do
If the geeks over there
Don't believe in the book
We got over here

You can't run a race
Without no feet
'N pretty soon
There won't be no street
For dummies to jog on
Or doggies to dog on
Religous fanatics
Can make it be all gone
(I mean it won't blow up
'N disappear
It'll just look ugly
For a thousand years...)

You can't run a country
By a book of religion
Not by a heap
Or a lump or a smidgeon
Of foolish rules
Of ancient date
Designed to make
You all feel great
While you fold, spindle
And mutilate
Those unbelievers
From a neighboring state

TO ARMS! TO ARMS!
Hooray! That's great
Two legs ain't bad
Unless there's a crate
They ship the parts
To mama in
For souvenirs: two ears (Get Down!)
Not his, not hers, (but what the hey?)
The Good Book says:
("It gotta be that way!")
But their book says:
"REVENGE THE CRUSADES...
With whips 'n chains
'N hand grenades..."
TWO ARMS? TWO ARMS?
Have another and another
Our God says:
"There ain't no other!"
Our God says
"It's all okay!"
Our God says
"This is the way!"

It says in the book:
"Burn 'n destroy...
'N repent, 'n redeem
'N revenge, 'n deploy
'N rumble thee forth
To the land of the unbelieving scum on the other side
'Cause they don't go for what's in the book
'N that makes 'em BAD
So verily we must choppeth them up
And stompeth them down
Or rent a nice French bomb
To poof them out of existance
While leaving their real estate just where we need it
To use again
For temples in which to praise OUR GOD
("Cause he can really take care of business!")

And when his humble TV servant
With humble white hair
And humble glasses
And a nice brown suit
And maybe a blond wife who takes phone calls
Tells us our God says
It's okay to do this stuff
Then we gotta do it,
'Cause if we don't do it,
We ain't gwine up to hebbin!
(Depending on which book you're using at the
time...Can't use theirs... it don't work
...it's all lies...Gotta use mine...)
Ain't that right?
That's what they say
Every night...
Every day...
Hey, we can't really be dumb
If we're just following God's Orders
Hey, let's get serious...
God knows what he's doin'
He wrote this book here
An' the book says:
He made us all to be just like Him,"
so...
If we're dumb...
Then God is dumb...
(An' maybe even a little ugly on the side)

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:56 pm

scutheotaku wrote:
drewbixcube wrote:You're so smart, YOU explain the pyramids then, or any of the ancient monoliths for that matter. Perhaps sassafrass and Santa Clause got together and built them with levers and pulleys, cutting each block with diamond tip chainsaws.

You are more close-minded than any American I have ever met.
I didn't read the rest of this topic, I just thought the stupid anti-American comment was funny, especially since 9V is from Europe...and not funny as in "haha that's a good joke," but funny as in "you're a living stereotype."

Anyways, your knowledge of history is a bit lacking and you seem to buy into the archaic belief that significant amounts of knowledge were lost during the Dark Ages.

EDIT: Sorry if I seem a bit aggressive, but it's hard to take you seriously when you make ignorant comments like that...
Methinks you've missed the context of his statement. I believe he's referring to 9V's blatant anti-Americanism in the "MIDI vs Audio" thread.

Anyway, regarding 9V, some people have jack shit to say and say it well; some people have something to say and can't help being jackasses; 9V on the other hand has jack shit to say and says it like a AAA jackass.
Unsound Designer

9V

Post by 9V » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:02 pm

drewbixcube

Post by drewbixcube » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:25 am

No worries scutheotaku. 9V's just been pressing my buttons. I am well aware he is Italian as he's made sure to mention it as often as possible. I was just trying to point out that he's not behaving any better than he claims Americans to be. I guess the best thing for me to do would be to ignore him, so it is decided. I just wish I could get Angstrom's troll killer script to work on my comp. lol Ah well...

On a side note, I miss evilevilevil. At least his antics were entertaining.

aisling

Post by aisling » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:36 am

drewbixcube wrote:No worries scutheotaku. 9V's just been pressing my buttons. I am well aware he is Italian as he's made sure to mention it as often as possible. I was just trying to point out that he's not behaving any better than he claims Americans to be. I guess the best thing for me to do would be to ignore him, so it is decided. I just wish I could get Angstrom's troll killer script to work on my comp. lol Ah well...

On a side note, I miss evilevilevil. At least his antics were entertaining.
quite a few chaps from the evilevilevil era are missed :(
http://soundcloud.com/aislingbeing

Live, Reason, Moog sub phatty, Moog sub 37, Ozone 6, guitars, Pedals, proper ergonomic sitting posture, french pressed coffee with a pinch of cardamon.

9V

Post by 9V » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:55 am

:roll:

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:16 pm

scutheotaku wrote: Anyways, your knowledge of history is a bit lacking and you seem to buy into the archaic belief that significant amounts of knowledge were lost during the Dark Ages.
Well one thing that comes to mind is the Library of Alexandria.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuzcO4mWoco
more
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jixnM7S9tLw

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:07 pm

I’d find it hard to believe that an alien civilization that had the technology to reach our planet would simply show us how to stack boulders and then go on their merry way. If you wanted to say they had something to do with the industrial and tech revolutions of the last 100 years then I might bite.

drewbixcube

Post by drewbixcube » Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:38 pm

I am the same way. I simply mentioned the idea as one possibility. What are your thoughts on The Great Year? No real need to watch the video if you don't want. A simple Google search should suffice if you aren't aware of this concept. This is actually what I wanted to discuss in the first place, but ended up getting derailed.

C'est la vie.