8.2.5 Crashes more than ever... :(

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
PHY6

8.2.5 Crashes more than ever... :(

Post by PHY6 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:00 pm

Dunno if anyone experiences the same, but version 8.2.5 crashes more then ever here on a mac pro 3.2.Quad-core Xeon.
Opening plugin windows crashes frequently. First I thought it was one plugin (Waldorf Largo) that causes it, but it seems more plugs causing the same crash...
Since last night I had more than 5 crashes happening...all bug reports sent.
I had high hopes for this version...when are we finally getting a stable version, this is insane !!!

PHY6

Re: 8.2.5 Crashes more than ever... :(

Post by PHY6 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:23 pm

On 10.6.8

pepezabala

Post by pepezabala » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:55 pm

no crashes here, having it turned on since I installed it. Not one time crashing. working on two rather big projects (100 + scenes, 3-4 gigs of samples)

osx 10.6.7

Warrior Bob

Post by Warrior Bob » Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:43 pm

Any chance it's those plugins having Lion incompatibilities?

That said, it'd be really cool if Live had some way to gracefully handle a crashing plugin instead of crashing itself. I don't know if this is possible or not, but if so - it'd be greatly appreciated and would help improve the image of the DAW.

_pascal.lje_

Post by _pascal.lje_ » Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:47 pm

no crashes here...
iMac + OSX Lion. All my projects are working fine.

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:58 pm

sorry to hear..
for me 8.2.5 is running fine.. (so far..)
I'm on Win7x64 Intel Q9650 MOTU 24i/o..

try disconnecting stuff.. maybe some hardware is causing this..
in which case you should mayne reinstall the drivers for that hw..

and also worth a try to delete(but backup first) preferences.cfg and restart+re-configure Live

is 8.2.2 working ok?
if so I'd go back to that and make music instead of messing with crashes etc...
it REALLY takes the fun out...
just wait for the next one..

c5_convertible

Post by c5_convertible » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:32 pm

Maybe something you've tried already, but I found that if my Mac is acting strange, repairing permissions does wonders. I use something called mainmenu pro to do a daily/weekly/monthly cleaning of all stuff (different chores on different times - not only repair permissions) and my system is running fine up to now. My Windows machines don't need this though. They always work fine :)

33tetragammon

Post by 33tetragammon » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:35 pm

Mac OSX 10.6.8
Live 8.2.5

no crashes whatsoever here, running very smooth.

PHY6

Post by PHY6 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:47 pm

c5_convertible wrote:Maybe something you've tried already, but I found that if my Mac is acting strange, repairing permissions does wonders. I use something called mainmenu pro to do a daily/weekly/monthly cleaning of all stuff (different chores on different times - not only repair permissions) and my system is running fine up to now. My Windows machines don't need this though. They always work fine :)
I do a permissions repair after any new update or install.
What other maitenance do you do ?
I have Snow Leopard Cache Cleaner.

PHY6

Post by PHY6 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:34 pm

I think I found the cause of the crashes.
It's the Tone2 Gladiator AU that might be the cause of the crashes.
Didn't use it in my last project, and had no issues at all, replaced the Gladiators and now it seems more stable.
I'll keep you informed, see if it's still like this in a couple of days.

c5_convertible

Post by c5_convertible » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:25 am

PHY6 wrote: I do a permissions repair after any new update or install.
It also cleans the icon cache, and cleans the system caches. It checks for corrupt preferences, and much more. It's a nice app, but it's not free (not really expensive either though...). Take a look here:http://mainmenuapp.com/pro.php

timek

Post by timek » Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:45 pm

Check if your system is up to date. I used to have the same problem with the plugins of a vendor, when I contacted them, they suggested to check if there were any update available for my MacOsX.

I had not updated my system for a while and when I did, it fixed all the stability issues.

Simmo

Post by Simmo » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:25 am

Same here, 10.7.1 and 8.2.5; clean install; no VSTs/AUs; inbuilt audio and also RME FF400 (tried both under clean install)

Live has never been all that stable for me under OSX or Windows but 8.2.5 has made it worse. The same old problem of Live crashing when loading certain samples or loading data samples from network storage (NAS for example) is still floating around (and has been since v7) is a good example. Another being rapid stop and starts of the audio engine (flicking through samples/warping etc) and Live goes boom! - Its definitely Live as doing exactly the same under Logic, Reaper or PT doesn't result in a crash.

PHY6

Post by PHY6 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:39 am

Everything is rocksolid now with the gladiator plugs replaced.

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:59 am

PHY6 wrote:
c5_convertible wrote:Maybe something you've tried already, but I found that if my Mac is acting strange, repairing permissions does wonders. I use something called mainmenu pro to do a daily/weekly/monthly cleaning of all stuff (different chores on different times - not only repair permissions) and my system is running fine up to now. My Windows machines don't need this though. They always work fine :)
I do a permissions repair after any new update or install.
1. Many sources advise Repairing Permissions when the computer is acting strangely/poorly.

2. Cleaning the cache is good. I use Cache Out X.

3. Regarding Cron Scripts (daily, weekly, monthly maintenance) in Snow Leopard & Leopard (probably the same for Lion):

There are no "cron" scripts. Apple stopped using cron years ago. Since Tiger, these scripts are scheduled using a new service called launchd.

If your machine is up long enough, they will run automatically. Your machine does not have to be awake at any scheduled time. If you shut down your machine every night, they won't run -- but in that case there is no reason to run them at all. For most users, these scripts don't do anything significant until the machine has been up for at least 3 days continuously. That is really the point of these scripts -- to take care of things if the machine hasn't been restarted in a long time.

There is no reason to do anything at all, except to let these tasks take care of themselves.

4. Make sure you have a minimum of 15% free disk space on your system drive for OS X to run properly.

5. Free maintenance (+ more features) app: Onyx
http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/11582/onyx

8)