For production, why is Logic better than Ableton?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
jamief

Re: For production, why is Logic better than Ableton?

Post by jamief » Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:40 am

channelite wrote:I tried Logic, but was too impatient to learn it. Had the same experience with Cubase too. Live's the bomb. I love it.
Yes i used cubase since 1991- 2001. Then found live 2001 and left cubase. Cubase is so non musical. Live looks very simplistic but can be incredibly deep and complex if you want it to be yet it remains very easy to use at the same time. Also its so open in its architecture it doesn't impose itself anywhere near what cubase does on your writing technique

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:15 am

jamief wrote:
channelite wrote:I tried Logic, but was too impatient to learn it. Had the same experience with Cubase too. Live's the bomb. I love it.
Yes i used cubase since 1991- 2001. Then found live 2001 and left cubase. Cubase is so non musical. Live looks very simplistic but can be incredibly deep and complex if you want it to be yet it remains very easy to use at the same time. Also its so open in its architecture it doesn't impose itself anywhere near what cubase does on your writing technique
There are plenty of famous musician who are earning great selling and using Cubase for his main composition work. It's no doubt that Cubase enable them to compose pricise and complexed project. No one can deny that Live doesn't offer good environment for precise composition than Cubase.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:47 pm

Key commands for surgical editing and more fully developed automation are pretty much the only reason to use Logic ove Live. I use Digital Performer for mix down because of those reasons plus multiple mix versions in the same song. Writing wise though it's a draw with live winning out in pure speed. Logic/DP/Cubase etc. certainly win out in key commands though, that Live doesn't have global assignable key commands (keyboard shortcuts) is the main workflow downfall it has.

jamief

Post by jamief » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:35 pm

pencilrocket wrote:
jamief wrote:
There are plenty of famous musician who are earning great selling and using Cubase for his main composition work. It's no doubt that Cubase enable them to compose pricise and complexed project. No one can deny that Live doesn't offer good environment for precise composition than Cubase.
Live offer's more precise composition than cubase its a matter of understanding how to you use it. i used both for 10 years each.
Can you name 10 of these artists you mention who currently use cubase pencil rocket ?

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:23 am

jamief wrote:
pencilrocket wrote: There are plenty of famous musician who are earning great selling and using Cubase for his main composition work. It's no doubt that Cubase enable them to compose pricise and complexed project. No one can deny that Live doesn't offer good environment for precise composition than Cubase.
Live offer's more precise composition than cubase its a matter of understanding how to you use it. i used both for 10 years each.
Can you name 10 of these artists you mention who currently use cubase pencil rocket ?
Nope doable in some aspect doesn't mean intuitibe and useful for all aspect. You can say you are able to compose music in Cubase3 but no one pick it up beside Cubase6. Thanks for laugh, nice joke. "Live offer's more precise composition than cubase". If you are seriously saying it I can't stop calling you noob. You shamely didn't try to learn Cubase. Good luck your fanboy life.

Saxer

Post by Saxer » Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:24 am

jamief wrote: Live offer's more precise composition than cubase its a matter of understanding how to you use it.
yepp, nice joke :mrgreen:

- you can´t even compare two tracks by opening two editors
- you can´t even transpose a complete song when a singer is in the studio to find the right key for his/her performance
- no score
- no drum grid
- no midi event list for precice editing
- only one layer in piano roll
-
to be continued...

live is great for combining lots of two bar phrases and mangle them soundwise.
that´s great for some kind of music. but far away from a composition tool for all kinds of music.

owlmerlyn

Post by owlmerlyn » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:53 am

I've used both Live and Logic, and honestly cant make up my mind as to which is "better". They both have their unique strengths. As has been rightly pointed out there is greater depth to Logic's editing and control. In some ways though, because of Live's workflow, I think of it as more of a musician's tool. And besides its cheaper

Someone did raise the point of "sound" though. To my ears Logic and Live both have a "neutral" sound (a good thing), which is exactly why I gave up Cubase, which I felt added a bit of "hype" and brittleness to the sound. Its been a while since I've used Cubase, though

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:55 am

this is getting old...fast !

UnCL0NED

Post by UnCL0NED » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:21 am

^^ exactly!
soundcloud
"everything you read on the internet is true!"

jamief

Post by jamief » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:50 am

pencilrocket wrote:
jamief wrote:
pencilrocket wrote: There are plenty of famous musician who are earning great selling and using Cubase for his main composition work. It's no doubt that Cubase enable them to compose pricise and complexed project. No one can deny that Live doesn't offer good environment for precise composition than Cubase.
Nope doable in some aspect doesn't mean intuitibe and useful for all aspect. You can say you are able to compose music in Cubase3 but no one pick it up beside Cubase6. Thanks for laugh, nice joke. "Live offer's more precise composition than cubase". If you are seriously saying it I can't stop calling you noob. You shamely didn't try to learn Cubase. Good luck your fanboy life.

Per Boysen

Post by Per Boysen » Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:23 am

I don't find Logic generally "better" - these two apps are kind of good at different parts. Mostly I use Logic to compose and finalize a recording (mixing and mastering) while I use Live (sometimes) when performing on stage. There are lots of reasons for this choice, I won't go into details but the main two aspects are fidelity and real-time tweakability. Although I have been using Logic since version 2.0 and Live since version 3.0 I have not yet been able to get the music sound as good in Live as I get with Logic.
Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
http://www.perboysen.com

Macrostructure

Post by Macrostructure » Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:27 am

nnnrrrggghhhh.....nope, still very dull. mac/pc anyone?

Schnauzer

Post by Schnauzer » Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:27 am

Aight, trying to prevent this getting old.

Why I use both , and use Logic as a main DAW:
- 64 bit - (with 16gig of ram I can load up a trillian Bass sample, program a drumtrack with superior drummer, load up an omnisphere synth, and play Kontakt 4 running Alicia's keys without rendering anything inbetween)

ableton not being 64 bit is a godsend btw, I can run ableton besides Logic and use it as a big sound-library, to record in real time into logic (without the hassle of setting up rewire)

- Dual Screen - Y'know, timeline in the one, ebay.... err.. mixer in the other...

When projects go over 50 tracks I used to scroll around ableton for ages, Logic can tidy that up a bit.

Does Logic sound better? I don't know, and I don't care. I adore and love ableton's built in instruments to death. I hate logic instruments... never use them, and never will, but time and again I'm loading up an instance with operator just to fiddle about.

Would I be able to make a million dollar Record on ableton, Logic, or cubase? Hell yes! just give me a couple of months off :)
Can I raise a practical question at this point? Are we gonna do "Stonehenge" tomorrow?
www.schnauzerstudios.com

Per Boysen

Post by Per Boysen » Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:45 am

Macrostructure wrote:nnnrrrggghhhh.....nope, still very dull. mac/pc anyone?
Live is just the same on either platform but if you want to also use Logic Mac is the only option.
Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
http://www.perboysen.com

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:29 pm

Per Boysen wrote:
Macrostructure wrote:nnnrrrggghhhh.....nope, still very dull. mac/pc anyone?
Live is just the same on either platform but if you want to also use Logic Mac is the only option.
Have to disagree. Logic IMO is a great all in one solution, Digital Performer (Mac only as well) is to me a better compliment to Live, multiple mix downs, full screen automation, freezing always makes an easily accessible file for Live, clip automation is similar to Live, a ton of other reasons. If I was to give up Live entirely and work in only one DAW Logic would be a strong contender.