Quit playing guitar

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Kobalt

Re: Quit playing guitar

Post by Kobalt » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:28 am

playing with a mix of hardware effects pedals and software guitar amps / effects is also GREAT FUN and can be very inspirational either you're looking for pure sound design weirdness or just want to make your guitar sounds more "out of the box". hardware effects pedals bring you the un-perfect (sometime buggy) rawness of the sound (or timing should you experiment with hardware time based effects) + the pure-sexiness-and-inspirational direct-hands-on-control-of-hardware-knobs that a software effect can't match :wink:

abl385

Post by abl385 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:14 am

Hermanus

Post by Hermanus » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:57 am

by the way more than guitar only, I would say keep and gather any acoustic material that sounds good.

Ocarinas, flutes, thin boxes, piano toys, kazoo...

Using daw doesn't mean straight electronic prod.

BoddAH

Post by BoddAH » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:13 pm

BTW I play mainly blues guitar and do electronic music with Live.

I could make "Electro-blues" or something like that. Does this already exist? Never heard of it. Maybe I'm inventing a new style right here!

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:23 pm

BoddAH wrote:BTW I play mainly blues guitar and do electronic music with Live.

I could make "Electro-blues" or something like that. Does this already exist? Never heard of it. Maybe I'm inventing a new style right here!
I've been doing some downtempo lap-steel stuff, which works pretty well in combination (IMO)

rough version of something here - http://soundcloud.com/angstrom/steve-angstrom-phases

BoddAH

Post by BoddAH » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:00 pm

Yeah I like it.

It's all about making my MIDI tracks sound good with my guitar audio tracks now. :mrgreen:

crumhorn

Post by crumhorn » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:28 pm

Angstrom wrote:
BoddAH wrote:BTW I play mainly blues guitar and do electronic music with Live.

I've been doing some downtempo lap-steel stuff, which works pretty well in combination (IMO)

rough version of something here - http://soundcloud.com/angstrom/steve-angstrom-phases
This is something (quite different) I did a while back. It's made from a few percussion samples and 3 short snippets - 2, 4 and 8 bars respectively - originally played on acoustic guitar - chopped, looped, processed and arranged in Live.

Basically it's made from the very few usable bits from a long afternoon stoned out jam session. When I played it back to the guys a couple of weeks later they were like "But that's nothing like what we played!"

http://www.sharehost.co.uk/doodles/two_ ... uitars.mp3
"The banjo is the perfect instrument for the antisocial."

(Allow me to plug my guitar scale visualiser thingy - www.fretlearner.com)

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:06 pm

crumhorn wrote: Basically it's made from the very few usable bits from a long afternoon stoned out jam session. When I played it back to the guys a couple of weeks later they were like "But that's nothing like what we played!"
:lol:

heavensdaw

Post by heavensdaw » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:40 pm

Awesome! :D

That's just it.. there's so many interpretations, there's so much for us to express and so many ways of doing it!

Rock fucking on!

Hd

Stevejaz

Post by Stevejaz » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:37 am

I have 5 guitars and 4 computers and I love all of them. Thing is my oldest guitars get better.... you know the rest. Recently got Live 8 Suite (Boxed)and love the clasical instuments. Am finding gorgeous sounds micing guitar and using effects from live to make pad sounds (Beat repeat-fill the gaps- patch is cool)
So I'm using an accoustic instrument to create computer type pad sounds and a computer to play accoustic lead sounds (love the Bassoon)
What a strange new world.