Why is 8.2.5 smaller in size than my previous versions?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
murgatroid

Why is 8.2.5 smaller in size than my previous versions?

Post by murgatroid » Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:47 am

grrrr

dancing Ray

Re: Why is 8.2.5 smaller in size than my previous versions?

Post by dancing Ray » Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:57 am

´cause it is more streamlined :wink:

You are aware of the two dl options: with sounds vs. programm only?
And finally: why bother when it works?
Spiralgroove wrote:a little quantization never hurt nobody

dazzer

Post by dazzer » Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:08 am

After they removed a lot of bugs the code size was subsequently smaller...

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:14 am

dazzer wrote:After they removed a lot of bugs the code size was subsequently smaller...
Yes "a lot of" bugs.

Mixikyr

Post by Mixikyr » Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:01 am

Deleted post.
Last edited by Mixikyr on Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

murgatroid

Post by murgatroid » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:40 am

I wrote out a longish post then deleted it.

In a nutshell what annoyed me was that all my previous versions weigh in at over 1.1gb's.
I'm on a mac btw.

I found out the difference is because when I show package contents in my older Live versions, in the 'App Resources' folder > "Default Packages", there are about 700mb's of content that's not included in the 'program only' 8.2.5 download.

Since the 8.2.5 isn't an installer update that writes itself into an older version but rather a complete application copy, I was bothered by this.

So I downloaded the 'program + library' and lo and behold, it contains all the items as what are in the previous versions.

What bothered me is that if you d'l, the program only version, there's apparently no instructions or explanation for this. You see, Apparently this content is important because its in the 'program+library' download and in all the previous versions as well. Yet no provision for getting that content from the previous version and into the new 8.2.5 'program only' folder contents.

concept_control

Post by concept_control » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:01 am

Eh.

On the download page it states that if you have 8.2.1 (if I remember rightly) you don't need to download the full version.

The Default Packages section you poked around in is what Live uses to install the Library the first time you run it. ie if you've just bought Live you'd want this for it to populate the Live Library correctly.

There's no conspiracy.

abl385

Post by abl385 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:13 am

I thought the smaller the better?

Hermanus

Post by Hermanus » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:52 am

come on guys everything is clear:

http://www.ableton.com/pages/downloads/products/suite8
Download Ableton Suite 8.
If you've already installed Suite 8.2, you can use the smaller, "Program only" installer.

cheers

Rationalizer

Post by Rationalizer » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:01 pm

abl385 wrote:I thought the smaller the better?
It's not the size, it's how you use it.
WIN8.1 x64 | Suite 9.5 x64 | RME FF400 | UAD-2 | Maschine 2 | SparkLE | Mopho | Blodeld | Komplete 9 | Ebony A2 | Adam A7 | Launchpad | Waves Diamond V9 | Many VSTs

Facebook | Youtube | Soundcloud | Beatport

abl385

Post by abl385 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:12 pm

Oh and by the way, it's not smaller in size. 8.2.2 had the same size (~540 MB on disk). I'm talking about the 'program only' installation.

murgatroid

Post by murgatroid » Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:20 am

Hmmmmm. I realize I'm not a software engineer and what seems logical to me may not apply. ;)

I'm using Live, not the suite, but it has the same instructions.

If I understand what concept_control says, then all them items in the previous versions default packages folder, which are not in the program only download, are items that were accessed and installed elsewhere on my system for Live's use the first time I started Live.
And since thats all been done already when I first got Live, the newest versions doesn't need to have them in its default packages folder. Am I correct in this assumption?

See, my logic told me that if there's all that stuff (128 items in fact) in that folder within the application folder in the first place, then it must mean that Live needs it there in order to run.

icedsushi

Post by icedsushi » Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:14 am

Yeah I thought I was OK, but now with all the talk I don't quite get this either. I just switched to a new computer. I downloaded "program only", dragged my whole library folder from the old computer. I trashed the library folder that came with the program only download & put my library folder in place of it. Does that mean I have everything?

merges

Post by merges » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:28 am

I'm not 100% sure how this works but if I were to put my thinking cap on:

When you download Live for the *first time* you need to download the "program + sounds" version. The actual application in that case contains all the sounds that will be installed into the Library. The first time you run *that* version, Live *copies* all the crap from inside the app, to wherever your Library lives.

Then when you get a minor update to Live, you only need to download the program only. All the sounds etc. installed before just stay in the Library. You don't need to download those again; Live doesn't need to install them in the Library again.

I think when Live's sounds get updated, in major revisions, for instance, you'll simply have to download the "full" version again. But that doesn't seem to be the case for minor updates.

Does this sound right? It really should be explained more clearly on Ableton's website for the curious. :)

icedsushi

Post by icedsushi » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:37 am

Yeah it sounds right I guess except the new sounds with the next full version thing. When I updated from Live 7 to Live 8, tech support told me to just drag my old library to the new version & replace what was there with the download. So I guess there were no new samples from Live 7 to Live 8? And perhaps any non sample "presets" are added to the library from the "Program Only" download. I do see some new presets in some of the Ableton instruments that weren't there in Live 7, so perhaps that's what happened.