THANKS ABLETON FOR THE FREE RETRO SYNTHS !!!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
mbird21

Re: THANKS ABLETON FOR THE FREE RETRO SYNTHS !!!

Post by mbird21 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:15 am

+1 :wink:
Alex!

Polygon_Frites

Post by Polygon_Frites » Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:04 am

I just can't see the download link, I can log into live's website ok and see my account details. Every time I go to the Downloads section get "Invalid request" anyone else getting this?

Otherwise, I'm really looking forward to this :D Nice one Ableton :)

Edit, didn't notice this thread http://forum.ableton.com/posting.php?mo ... 1&t=169301

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:57 pm

I don't complain but its sound is soo old-fashioned and for outdated music :? Just for feeling nostalgia.

ChrisIhao

Post by ChrisIhao » Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:02 pm

pencilrocket wrote:I don't complain but its sound is soo old-fashioned and for outdated music :? Just for feeling nostalgia.
Your statement is rather ludicrous, and frankly if you limit audio to concepts of "new" and "old" I figure you dont manipulate audio all that much. Stating the obvious here, but you can make an old synth sound like a brand "new" one by processing it to hell and back.

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:08 pm

pencilrocket wrote:I don't complain but its sound is soo old-fashioned and for outdated music :? Just for feeling nostalgia.
sorry.. not falling for it.. :P

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:23 pm

A nice treat indeed. Analog Bass 1 and 2 are quite excellent, personally I love the first one. I find Teebee rather useless as the filter actually steps throuhg 5 or 6 different sample sets so it's got sharp cutoff points. Nice samples though if you take one of them and just make a sampler instrument out of it. Haven't tried to many of the others but vector also seems pretty cool, based on the prophet VS I assume? Though one would think that it would have two knobs for vector position since it was a four way crossfade. Some other kind of cool digital things in there too. It's hard to use any other sampled analog instruments at all when you have Trilian, so I'm glad there are some digital instruments as well.
Professional Shark Jumper.

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:41 am

ChrisIhao wrote:
Your statement is rather ludicrous, and frankly if you limit audio to concepts of "new" and "old" I figure you dont manipulate audio all that much. Stating the obvious here, but you can make an old synth sound like a brand "new" one by processing it to hell and back.
Don't be so aggressive boy. Oldie sound is oldie. If you have to make it sound new you'd better to use other sound to work effectively. And also I didn't get any vein of new sound just from their sound demo on the web site. They are too thin comparing to recent sound. Niche audience will be excited with oldies though.

rasputin

Post by rasputin » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:14 am

Does this require Sampler or something? I get a message that exporting and saving is disabled.

Installation went ok in a licensed copy of Live 8 (.2.2) on a Win XP machine.
Live 9.1 <> occasionally Reason 4.0.1 <> Reaper.latest! <> Windows 7 on a bespoke Intel Q6600 <> ASUS P5E <> 8GB RAM, M-Audio Delta 2496 and that's it.

crumhorn

Post by crumhorn » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:14 am

Milton Babbit wrote:Nothing grows old faster than a new sound
Wise words indeed
"The banjo is the perfect instrument for the antisocial."

(Allow me to plug my guitar scale visualiser thingy - www.fretlearner.com)

Evengy

Post by Evengy » Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:53 pm

Thanks! I like the sounds ;)

Hermanus

Post by Hermanus » Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:15 pm

It's time for you to review your basics then.

How to limit yourself? by thinking this tiny way

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:30 pm

Hermanus wrote:
It's time for you to review your basics then.

How to limit yourself? by thinking this tiny way
I don't limit but am just looking objectively. I like listening old disco sound and also like old VA and FM synth sound. So I don't mock old sound. But I don't use old sampled synth sound to produce new song. In most case sampled synth sound sucks and is useless I think.

Hermanus

Post by Hermanus » Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:34 pm

old old old... why are you so focused on this word.

Where have you heard TB303 is old stuff? this device is over and well used in many tracks.
The man behind the machine makes magic from it, pushing limits, adding his own touch.
PencilRocket wrote:
But I don't use old sampled synth sound to produce new song
Huge error man, an old synth doesn't mean old sounding... let try it and add your touch.

They gently give us this pack for free, this doesn't mean we cant modify or enhance them.
Basslab is quite amazing for example... combine it with the teebee and you got richness

Once again thanks for this marvelous pack. Nice move from puremagnetik and Ableton :wink:

Ableton_David

Post by Ableton_David » Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:51 pm

Anubis wrote:Thanks Ableton! The Moog Opus soundset is a very nice addition. Didn't they make a budget model for Radio Shack?

Ah, the Realistic Concertmate MG-1 - that was actually a budget model based off the Moog Rogue: http://www.vintagesynth.com/moog/rogue.php

Ableton_David

Post by Ableton_David » Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:56 pm

glitchrock-buddha wrote:Haven't tried to many of the others but vector also seems pretty cool, based on the prophet VS I assume? Though one would think that it would have two knobs for vector position since it was a four way crossfade.
You're close - it's based on the Korg Wavestation, which itself was based on the Prophet VS. Check out the "Performance" Racks in Vector, which have Vector X and Vector Y macros - perfect if you've got a MIDI-enabled joystick handy ;).