what is music Q & A

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
H20nly

Re: what is music Q & A

Post by H20nly » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:55 pm

^ it doesn't matter. as the thread starter, i am allowed to change my opinion multiple times while never humbling myself or admitting any level of fail, wrong, or D. None of the above.

this is how it's done mang. i learned here at the Ableton forum from people who we're not even allowed to talk about because their level of self is so profound it's like looking directly into the ark of the covenant.

they'll lock this thread if you fuck around. lock, it's like freeze but less cold.

Davo

Post by Davo » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:26 am

H20nly wrote:I have decided to start a thread and ask you what music is. If I don't like your answer I will tell you that you're wrong no matter what you say.

discuss...
Music is a word. The word has several meanings. It can refer to methods of representation (eg "sheet music"). It can refer to certain sounds generated by musicians, or by machines. The various meanings of the word "music" are referred to a "semantics", which will probably be lost on many non-native speakers of a language.

Music is a phenomenon. It is experienced by (some) humans. The experience of music appears to be a uniquely human ability, possibly derived from the neuronal machinery that allows humans to process speech sounds. Like all psychological phenomena music is poorly understood. Only the unsophisticated will attempt to define it. Yours is a trick question. The biggest fool can ask a question that the wisest person can not answer.

crofter

Post by crofter » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:01 am

I'll tell you what music is, a fucking waste of time that's what,all the time and money I've spent and then some cunt comes along and says it's only sound unless you have a piece of paper with some fly shit on it, I could have been doing something useful, I could have been a famous welder by now.
Core2 quad q660, 4gig ram, Win 7 home premium SP1.
P4 2.8 ghz, Gigabyte GA- 81E2004P, 1.5 gig ram,XP Home, SP3.
dual core pentium laptop 2 gig ram Win 8.
MOTU 8Pre,Tascam FW-1804,Zoom R16, Ableton live 8.4
Cubase 7

macmurphy

Post by macmurphy » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:52 am

crofter wrote:I could have been a famous welder by now.
name some famous welders. with you tube links. you know, really famous ones that none welders would know.

anyway, welding isn't metalwork. riveting is real metalwork - welding is just chemistry :roll:

:wink:

razorblade

Post by razorblade » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:31 pm

macmurphy wrote:
name some famous welders. with you tube links. you know, really famous ones that none welders would know.

anyway, welding isn't metalwork. riveting is real metalwork - welding is just chemistry :roll:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqeVcwqOjz4
No...I am 3phase!

MacGuffin

Post by MacGuffin » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:24 pm

music is humans dividing time with sound.

docprosper

Post by docprosper » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:38 pm

razorblade wrote:
macmurphy wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqeVcwqOjz4
Are those knobs sending MIDI-protocol data because if not that is NOT WELDING MY FRIEND!! :roll: :roll:
Funk N. Furter wrote:Post properly.
Ableton Live Suite | M4L | Powerbook | Launchpad | APC40 | Faderfox | 2x1200 | Xone:96 | ...
---> http://soundcloud.com/kilcraft

macmurphy

Post by macmurphy » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:10 pm

they aren't proper welders anyway because a) i haven't heard of them, 2) they don't weld using the correct code, and iii) riveting is real metalwork :roll:

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:11 pm

Davo wrote:
H20nly wrote:I have decided to start a thread and ask you what music is. If I don't like your answer I will tell you that you're wrong no matter what you say.

discuss...
Music is a word. The word has several meanings. It can refer to methods of representation (eg "sheet music"). It can refer to certain sounds generated by musicians, or by machines. The various meanings of the word "music" are referred to a "semantics", which will probably be lost on many non-native speakers of a language.

Music is a phenomenon. It is experienced by (some) humans. The experience of music appears to be a uniquely human ability, possibly derived from the neuronal machinery that allows humans to process speech sounds. Like all psychological phenomena music is poorly understood. Only the unsophisticated will attempt to define it. Yours is a trick question. The biggest fool can ask a question that the wisest person can not answer.
so true -> http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=168277

if, by "can not answer" you mean that the fool is incapable of accepting.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:15 pm

what year did the Italians invent metal working?

...and what year did they invent welding?

crofter

Post by crofter » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:18 pm

You folks may pooh pooh the art of the metal fabricator but celebrity welding is the next big thing, riveting is so 19th century.
Cubase 7

ollyb303

Post by ollyb303 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:19 pm

H20nly wrote:what year did the Italians invent metal working?

...and what year did they invent welding?
I know the answer to this one, but you wouldn't understand it because only every other Italian would be able to comprehend the answer. It's a cultural thing.
.:O:B:1:.
ob1techno.com

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:22 pm

^ damn it!! my mom was a stewardess for BA in the 70's. she could have hooked up with an Italian, but NOoooooo... she had to stay all close to homey and get with some English dude. now i have no ties to the knowledge of the universe. thanks. a. lot. mom. :roll: jeez.

women...

macmurphy

Post by macmurphy » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:24 pm

crofter wrote:You folks may pooh pooh the art of the metal fabricator but celebrity welding is the next big thing, riveting is so 19th century.
celebrity welding? what, like welding them together? that i'd pay to see.

although i'd wager the rivet gun would be a popular addition to this forward thinking spectacle.

crofter

Post by crofter » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:27 pm

macmurphy wrote:
crofter wrote:You folks may pooh pooh the art of the metal fabricator but celebrity welding is the next big thing, riveting is so 19th century.
celebrity welding? what, like welding them together? that i'd pay to see.

although i'd wager the rivet gun would be a popular addition to this forward thinking spectacle.
You may be right.
Cubase 7